Author Topic: Abdomen scar looks like keloid  (Read 5615 times)

Featofclay

• February, 2011
Abdomen scar looks like keloid
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Since having retrosigmoid surgery on 2/16/07, the scar on my abdomen has started feeling very strange like it is rolled up or something.  It is 2-1/2 long and about 2" feels like it is getting larger but on the very end it is smooth.  This is where the fat tissue came from to put in my head in place of my tumor.  There were no stitches....just a strip of tape across it and it looked perfectly smooth when I left LA. 

I will go see my family doctor Monday but feel concerned about this and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem.  Thanks for your help.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Abdomen scar looks like keloid
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:03:43 pm »
Hey Jean, I had retrosigmoid but they didn't do the 'fat transfer' thing - is that why I feel like I can go right to my brain with a q-tip ?   Am I missing something here ?
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:04:58 pm »
Hi Jean,

Sorry to hear about your problem but what is a keloid? My scar is flat and a little hard. I don't understand what you mean when you say it is rolling up. You need to check with your local doctor to make sure everything is ok.

Good Luck
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:18:48 pm »
A keloid is an overgrowth of scar tissue, it looks like a big boil.   It can be painful if touched is what patients have told me.   Like Ellis said, see what your doc says Monday. Wonder if you've got an infection starting, is it warmer around the area, getting a bit 'red looking ?' ....     Best wishes Jean,    Nancy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:30:16 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:07:56 pm »
It is not red or hot or anything like that.  When it was first healing, the strange thing is the part that is now very smooth appeared to be getting infected and I started putting hydrogen peroxide on it and then neosporin and it cleared right up and is very smooth now.  It never hurt at all....guess my head was hurting more so I didn't notice it if it was hurting.  Will plan to see my doctor Monday and see what he thinks.  I certainly do not want to have to entertain the thought of having any surgery whatsoever any time soon as I'm sure everyone on here can understand.   :'( 
J
Excellent results

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:41:34 pm »
My doctor is out all this week..just my luck.  Guess I will just have to wait until next week. 
Jean
Excellent results

chelsmom

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:11:01 pm »
Hi Jean,

My daughter Chelsea had numerous scars on the neck (vocal cord surgery, trecheostomy, 3 failed shunts that the tubing had to be checked by being pulled out of incisions on her neck) and scars on her stomach (2 of the shunts were VP and her feeding tube scar) almost all of which keloided (sp).  Her very incredible head and neck surgeon, Dr. Sercarz, was so unhappy with the way they looked that he set her up to have them all be revised.  It has been 3 weeks since they did the procedure.  She goes back tomorrrow to have steroid injections into the sites which is supposed to help prevent them from keloiding again.  She has already had one round of injections and will possibly need one or two more.  We are very excited to see the end results.  I hope your scar isn't infected and that it stops the build up of tissue.  I'm sure your doctor will be able to give you some answers.   Good Luck....Michelle

TP

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:39:35 am »
I have experienced keloids with each of my sugerys. The scars are raised somewhat and red in color. I had a c section and mine was not very pretty (got an infection) at first but after about 1 year the scar was almost gone. The scars on my feet from foot surgery stayed swollen looking and red for about 2 years but that was probably due to the location of the surgery. Hopefully you don't have a fever or drainage. If you have drainage I would check your tempature and if you have one call another DR.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

er

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 01:25:22 am »
Hi Jean

I also had the fat tissue taken of my left side hip to place where they took my AN. The scare heal very well except no one told me why the scare was there until 3 months later when I asked my ENT why it was there? But I am not the brightness
eve

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:07:41 am »
Just thought I would post a follow up note.  When I talked with the doctor at House Ear Clinic, he told me he did not think it was a keloid and to massage it every day and it would go away.  I was already rubbing it each day and now it is completely gone.   :D
Excellent results