Author Topic: Stamina and mild pain  (Read 3527 times)

Todd86

Stamina and mild pain
« on: September 09, 2007, 06:09:27 am »
Hi all!  I am 10 weeks out from a MF removal of a 5 mm tumor... Surgery went very well with no loss of hearing or facial nerve issues.

I am getting better but still seem to be VERY tired most days.. Not just your normal but almost falling asleep tired!  I get about 7-8 hours per night and although busy don't seem overly taxed.  Any thought on how long it took most folks?

Also.. starting to get a little mild pain to my incision area.. I suspect it is from nerve coming back into play but just wanted to see what folks experienced.

Otherwise doing pretty well and getting back to my old self!

Thanks!
Todd

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Stamina and mild pain
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:23:45 am »
Todd -

the tiredness will probably be with you for a while.  I am about 3 1/2 months post op and my fatigue comes and goes.  Some days and weeks, I have no tiredness issues, some I do.  From what I've heard and read this is normal.  AN surgery takes a lot out of you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:51:27 pm »
I am ten weeks out tomorrow and have severe fatigue issues ... some days if I sit down for a
breather I am going to sleep... my surgeons said this is normal and to expect it for several months...

As to the pain in the incision area it could be nerves reconnecting or the scar drawing up...
probably a little of both... I have been using Mederma ointment for scars and it has helped for
the tightness and pulling ... nothing works for the ring of burning pain about an inch away from the
scar... just make sure scar is fully closed before using it ...it was recommended my my PT friend that
works in sports medicine and wound care... he had given me a prescription but the Mederma works
just as well... you can get it at your drug store with no prescription
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

trhoads

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 12:16:33 pm »
Well, I am now 4 months post op and still occasionally have troubles with fatigue.  I work 12 hour nights, and after I work 3 or 4 in a row, I get to the point where I cannot do anything but sleep and go to work.  However, I am thankful that at least I was able to return to work. 

As far as pain goes, I do still have trouble with headaches, especially after exertion.  I am also trying to get back into some sort of exercise routine.  I am hoping that continues to get better with time. 

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:34:19 pm »
Hey Todd, I think 12 hour nights are tough on anybody.  I am 2o months out from Translab and still have days when I feel really tired and would love to sleep until 9 or 10 am, especially after plane travel or several really late nights.  So, I think you are normal for four months out.  It gets better and better.  By 12 months you'll see a lot of change.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:05:59 pm »
Hi, Todd:

Post-op fatigue is fairly common and should resolve in another 6 months or so.  Get as much rest as you can in the meantime.  Nerve regeneration will give you some weird sensations but ultimately, it's all good. 

I'm pleased to read that you're getting back to normal.  That's our goal.  Keep up the good work - and thanks for posting!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:15:27 pm »
I am 3 months post-op. I like to think that i am back to normal but I am not. Fatigue is the biggest issue. It is interesting how I felt no pain in my incision area and now I am expereincing some mild pain. I also have some blurry vision issues that come and go. Oh yea, I tilt my head to one side for which I am getting physical therapy.
Translab HEI 1987. Retro-sigmoid Mass General 6/19/2007. 7 hour surgery by Barker and Mekena. No nerve damage. Not all the tumor removed.