Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 3412 times)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Tinnitus
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:55:05 am »
It's 4 AM, my tinnitus has gotten so loud wakes me up.  After awake can't seem to go back to sleep.  Does anyone that has very loud tinnitus know of any medication that can relieve it.  I have had several attempts with steroids, but they don't touch it.  Any comments, information would be very helpful.

TJ

JAndrews

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:12 am »
The only thing that has worked for me is another noise in the background to focus on when I am in bed. My ceiling fan rattles at home..when we are out of town I can usually find something in the room to make a noise for me to focus on. I take an ativan at bedtime,3-5 nights a week. It doesn't get rid of the noise,but relaxs me enough so I'm not so focused on it. I have tried a few different things for the tinnitus, that have been suggested by others..and none of it worked.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:34:05 am »
Watching this thread for more suggestions .....

Because I have this thing about taking meds ..... I also use other noise as a diversion.  I found a couple of under pillow speakers and noise machine on Amazon.  I "listen" to the babbling brook as I go to sleep and/or when awakened and trying to go back to sleep.  I sleep on my good ear the majority of the time so it works for me.  It may be psychological, but it seems to help to have something else to focus on, besides the infernal racket in my head!  The tinnitus also seems to be reduced when I first get up in the morning.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:10:00 pm »
Thanks to both of you for responding.  I am at the point where I need to try whatever else might be working.  My tinnitus has really gotten much louder just in the last couple fo months.  I am hoping, as we all do that it will get better as the AN dies.

Thanks again

TJ

Chances3

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:29:00 pm »
Hi TJ,

Tinnitus is just awful.  I suffer as well, and the ring has worsen since my surgery.  My wife bought me this little sound maker - thanks to posts on this site.  It has something like 10 different sounds.  The rain forest, the ocean etc etc.  I enjoy the ocean, but there might be a sound that can help distract you at night.  It has pretty decent volume settings so you can customize it to what is best.

As for treatment of Tinnitus - man I wish there was a magic pill.  I stay away from caffeine, alcohol, sulphates and nitrates - no more bacon !   I have also notice that a good night's sleep helps.  I wear ear plugs whenever I think I will be exposed to loud noises.  I am also taking a diuretic.  Hope you can find some help, and if you do, please share it.

reg

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:53:58 pm »
im sitting replying to post hear loud noise in my head now, diagnosed as pulsitile tinnitis sounds likes a continuous snare drum, train sound, thunder, etc so i feel you, working with docs now on tests,  scheduled for one on 23 dec some type of ct test hope i can get some insight, mind started earlier this year almost five years after an surgery
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

flmd

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:04:06 am »
I've been having tinnitus post op as well. I was under the impression that I wouldn't have tinnitus after the surgery since they cut the auditory nerve...apparently not I guess. It's not as bad as my pre op tinnitus, but it is a bit annoying. It doesn't prevent me from sleeping, but I'm going to mention it to my neurosurgeon and otolaryngologist when I have my first follow up appointment in the beginning of January.