Author Topic: vocal cord swollen on the non AN side  (Read 2166 times)

TOM

vocal cord swollen on the non AN side
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:16:09 pm »
I had my surgery 3 weeks back. The surgery was 12 hours long and woke up wth no movement on the left face , left eye partially closes.

My voice was not normal and the doctor told that the right vocal cord is swollen because of the tubes during the surgery and should heal with time. Does anybody else had problems with the vocal cord and what can be done to heal faster.

Thanks for all your response.

cin605

Re: vocal cord swollen on the non AN side
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »
I didn't have vocal problems but my tongue was swollen for about 4 months on non an side....I would say treat it like you would if you had your tonsils removed...ice cream fluid tylenol.Sorry i can not help more.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »
Hi, Tom,

I was intubated for 3 days after my first surgery (besides the fact that it was 16 hours long) and I couldn't talk at all after it for a few days. When my voice finally appeared, it was very hoarse and as far from normal as you could possibly imagine. Everything healed in a few weeks. So, your voice should recover and swelling subside. Just avoid any extremes, like shouting, too much talking, whispering, clearing your throat as well as very spicy, hot and cold foods. You should be fine with time.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:33:31 am »
Tom, I'll just chime in and say that I have VC problems, but I am one of the extreme examples. I have left side paralysis after six months  on the tumor side. But, I had a 31.5 hour surgery and was intubated for six days. Just yesterday I had my third procedure to plump the cord to make it easier for the right side to do all the work.

This is a different problem than yours. If you are suffering from swelling of the cord, it seems that you just need to be patient and follow your doctor's advice. I don't know that you can do anything to make it heal faster - the body has its own schedule and doesn't share it with the mind.

Whatever you do, always be aware of your breathing. If you start to have difficulty breathing, go to the ER. There are limits to the amount of swelling of the vocal cord that your airway can handle. Did your doctor say anything about resting your voice and minimizing speaking for any length of time?

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

TOM

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:57:15 am »
Thanks for the reponse. My doctor did tell me to talk softly and avoid talking in noisy situtaions. He thinks the swelling shiould be gone in 4 to 6 weeks.

I wlll wait and keep everyone posted.