Author Topic: i'm tingling  (Read 1980 times)

madison

i'm tingling
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »
hello..it's been awhile since i've posted, but i still read the forum often. i had gamma knife 2 yrs. ago this february. today i felt some tingling in my scalp on the side of my AN and also my face felt weird...not just on one side. i can only describe it as the way your face feels when you've been outside when it's freezing cold and then you go inside where it's warm and your face starts thawing out. my last mri was not helpful. the neuro doc said my tumor was filling in white again so it could be ready to collapse or it could be regrowing. my next one is in may. well, just wondering if anyone has any related experience or input for me. thanks and i am soooo glad this forum exists.  ;)
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: i'm tingling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »
My only thought is that your trigeminal nerve is being affected in some way or another.  That can cause a lot of disturbances with your face and head.  My AN and trigeminal nerve are locked in battle, and I certainly know it every day of my life.

When all else fails, ask your dr.  :)

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:59:34 pm »
Madison,

I know that not knowing what is going on with that bugger causes the imagination to run wild, too bad we can't have an MRI every day.  I had never heard of an An but as soon as I was diagnosed I had all these symptoms.

I wish you the best

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

mk

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »
Hi, I missed this thread, but now that it reappeared I just wanted to point out something about the AN being white again. This is very typical - after radiation you may (or may not) see darkening, indicating necrosis, but then the dead cells turn to scar tissue, which appears white with contrast. So I don't understand what your doctor was referring to when talking about the possibility of "regrowth". Was there any change in dimensions?

I understand how unsettling it is to have new symptoms appearing so long after being treated. I have experienced this myself recently, 18 months post-GK, with an episode of hearing loss and the reappearance of some trigeminal issues. My doctor said that since the radiation effect on the cells of benign tumors can be delayed, causing delayed symptoms.
I agree with Sue that what you described sounds like your trigeminal nerve acting up, however this seems strange, since your AN is so small and it shouldn't be involved with your trigeminal. Just to be on the safe side, if these symptoms continue I think you should consult with your doctor.

Keep us posted.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.