Author Topic: irritated inscision scar  (Read 2106 times)

Tom Browning

irritated inscision scar
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »
I'm somewhat new to the forum, but have been getting lots of help from reading everyone's comments.  But now, I have a situation I haven't read about yet. I'm about 9 weeks post op, and have been going to physical therapy.  One day I was commenting on my stiff neck, and the therapist proceeded to give me a massage.  About 15 minutes into the massage, she mentioned how it might be a good idea for me to occasionally massage my scar to keep that tissue underneath from hardening.  Then she started massaging the scar and at one point I felt enough pain to let out a yelp.  Every since then the inscision has been very painful and irritated.  One morning I woke up to find spots of blood on my pillow, so I went to my regular doctor just to see if it was  in danger of becoming infected.  Where the whole thing started out numb and I thought healing well, it is now very sensitive and sore to the touch.   Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
Tom

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: irritated inscision scar
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »
Tom -

I never experienced this, but then again I didn't have anyone massage my incision scar.

Post op my left ear and the entire left side of my skull was numb.  The ear gradually "came back" and over time so did the skull - although I still had a numb skull (no pun intended) when I had my BAHA surgery; 9 months after my AN surgery.

It will be 3 years since my AN surgery at the end of May and my head feels very normal.  The tissue under my scar isn't hardened - at least not to my knowledge.

Wish I could give you a little more insight to what your issue might be.  Have you consulted with your doctor?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:14:41 am »
Hi, Tom just read your post and my surgeon advised me to go for therapy around the incision site but he emphasized to tell them about the surgery and they have to do SOFT massage just how hard did she massage the area for you to have so much pain ?

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:27:26 pm »
Hi, Tom ~

I never had this experience but I'm sorry to learn about this incision problem that's developed.  It seems as if the PT might have inadvertently dislodged something.  I'm curious as to what your doctor said about the bleeding.  I trust things are better, now.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
I think your PT might have been a little overzealous in her massage!  I am one, so I can see how it would happen, especially since we are more used to massaging larger and less sensitive areas.  A very gentle massage around the scar, once it is well healed helps keep the tissue mobile, basically to keep the skin, muscle and other "stuff" in there sliding over each other instead of sticking, and it also helps to scar to lay flat so you don't have a bumpy, ugly scar.

I never did it to the incision on my head, but I did to the incision from my 7/12, but that was after it was very well healed.

What did your doctor say about it when you went to him?  If there are any open areas, you might want to put a little bacitracin or neosporin on there.  Won't hurt and keeping the scar moisturized helps it heal nicely too.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.