Author Topic: Stoneaxe's Update  (Read 47193 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Stoneaxe's Update
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2009, 09:31:37 am »
Eeeeuuuuwwwww!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2009, 08:04:21 am »
Disturbing development after yesterdays surf session. Last night I noticed that I was leaking from my incision. More than I had leaked from the ear. Wiped it off with alcohol and it seemed to stop. Then last night some coyotes howling in the backyard woke me up. Noticed my pillow was wet (I was sleeping on the AN side). Turned the light on to find a significant damp spot and what looked like some puss on the pillow...gross. Cleaned the incision with alcohol...quite a bit of junk there. This morning everything seems OK but I did notice that the swelling on the side of my head was gone and its no longer spongy. Whatever leaked out must have been causing the swelling. Gotta go call the doc. Was hoping to hit the waves again today but I'll see what he says.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

NancyMc

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2009, 08:45:31 am »
Let us know what the doc says.  Have you been IN the water at all?  My post-op directive included no swimming for 6 weeks.  Good luck.  Thinking of you.

moe

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2009, 10:17:41 am »
Hope this doesn't curtail your paddling plans, Bob.
You are such a trooper! Let us know what the docs say.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2009, 12:18:44 pm »
Hi Bob,
I think I asked about this on your other thread... (the leaking ear / incision thing).
I hope it's much better and all in the past.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »
Hey Bob,

Sorry I wasn't around during your surgery. Looks like our friends at Mass General  did another great job! As you know, I as well as a growing number of other folks on this forum can attest to that!

Looking forward to seeing you in October!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »
I'm one bummed out ANer. I haven't been on all week because I was admitted to Mass Eye and Ear last Saturday with and infection and just got home today. The leak ended up making me go in and see the doc. Expected to get a scrip for antibiotics and go home. Ended up being admited right away. Spent the weekend and early part of the week trying to treat it with intravenous doses of heavy hitter antibiotics. Finally after much consideration by all I went back under the knife to clean it out on Thursday. Dr McKenna had given great consideration to my wanting to paddle on the 15th but in the end the only solution was to clean it out. I'm back at square one....no paddling for at leat a few weeks. They had to remove a portion of the fat graft and replace it wuth more. Hardest part is that I still feel great...no balance issue...no headaches. Thought the only thing I had to worry about was the facial weakness and even that seemed to be getting slightly better. Looks like I'll be sitting on the boat drinking beer.... :(

My time on the water had nothing to do with the infection. The fat graft didn't take near the surface (possibly due to the previous radiation scar tissue) and was dying. We (docs and I) had noticed the swelling 2 weeks after surgery...before I ever went into the water. Surfing may have opened up the incision and made a closer look necessary so if anything that may have helped keep it from becoming a bigger problem by allowing it to drain and forcing the issue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:34:12 pm by stoneaxe »
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

NancyMc

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2009, 02:33:27 pm »
Well, then, I'm bummed out, too.  I'm so glad you went in to see McKenna, though.  And I'm glad it's so hard for you to still feel great!  ::)  Most of all, I'm glad the consolation prize is sitting on the boat drinking beer.  There are much worse things, much, much worse.
So, at least you got a frenzy of paddling in there for a while and know you'll be back soon.  This time stay out of the water for six weeks, okay?

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »
I know sitting on the boat drinking beer doesn't seem bad but it will actually be a serious form of torture for me.... ::)

What an amazing person Dr. McKenna is...he had given me his personal cell # to call in case of problems. When I called Saturday evening he was actually on vacation in Florida with his son at a baseball tournament. He called MEEI and Dr. Macaul (sp?) to arrange for my arrival Saturday night. Great to have someone with his skill and compassion on your side.

Even though the paddling surfing had nothing to do with it I am not going to force it. I hope the fall surfing is great this year.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:43:18 pm by stoneaxe »

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »
Bob .....

That truly is a bummer, but so glad you sought treatment before it got any more out of hand.  At the risk of sounding like your mother, this time listen to your body and ease off on pushing quite so aggressively with your recovery program.

I'm sure you will be the #1 cheerleader for the event even though you will not be paddling this time ...... enjoy the boat and the beer!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2009, 04:14:42 pm »

Hey, Stoneaxe,

I can sympathize w/you on the bumpy road to recovery, but I am glad it is all taken care of.  Infections can be pretty tenacious.  Have fun on the boat and remind yourself how much fun it will be when you can participate w/out any worries at all!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »
Bob ~

I'm sorry to learn of this unwanted development that puts a dent in your paddle boarding plans but I share the opinion of others that have posted before me that taking care of it in hospital was a sensible idea.  Your Dr.McKenna seems to be the kind of doctor we all want (my neurosurgeon is just like him - concerned and compassionate).  Recover and enjoy the day as best you can.  Life goes on and you know you'll be back on the water in no time!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2009, 12:15:38 am »
Bob,

So sorry to hear about your unexpected, extended vacation in the wonderful 5 star resort  ;)
Very happy to hear the staff took such good care of you.

Enjoy your beer from the boat, and stay healthy!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2009, 12:19:59 am »
I'm one bummed out ANer.

I think of you more as a bummed out paddle-boarder.  :(

These post surgical infections are strangely random, just sort of picking people from the supply of AN patients without rhyme or reason. Rats. You will make a good coach for the other paddlers in the big event, and I know we will be seeing some of those ice paddling pictures later this year. Given our 100+ degree week here in the Northwest, those sound pretty good right now.

Take it easy and enjoy a month of being a spectator. You'll be back at it soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MissMolly

« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:38 am »
Hey Stonaxe,

I am so sorry to hear of your complication, but very very glad it was taken care of aggressively and in the hospital.  I'm sure the treatment circumvented any, more serious issues.  However, I'm also disappointed for you that you can't paddle.  I know how much you were looking forward to it.

As for facial issues, Dr. Martuza sent me to Dr. Hadlock at MEEI.  She has specialized PTs who work on the facial stuff.  I've regained most if not all my movement since seeing her and doing the prescribed exercises.  It might be worth a request....

Hugs,

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.