Author Topic: Stoneaxe's Update  (Read 47219 times)

texsooner

Re: Stoneaxe's Update
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:12 am »
I'm in the choir too, but I agree 100% and like hearing it!

Patrick
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:27:13 am by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2009, 03:37:40 pm »
LOL...Sue and I were laughing about what have become common topics of conversation as we get older just last night.... Constipation and BM's (or the lack thereof) being one of the current topics... ;D. I haven't had it too bad...stayed on top of it from the beginning and cutting back on the percocets has helped. Headache just minor today, face swollen though and weakness continues. Things are very good though. We're going out for a walk tonight for an ice cream on the waterfront in Plymouth....good to get out... ;D.

Choir for sure...no question. Being in shape has helped tremendously.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:45:42 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
Hey, Bob,

Glad to hear you are on the other side of your surgery and getting out some.  Hope the headaches are not too bad and that they resolve with a little time.  Enjoy your ice cream!  Yum! Not too much though as it will plug you up a bit.  Oops!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2009, 04:16:50 pm »
Warning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;D
Warning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;DWarning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;DWarning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;DWarning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;DWarning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;DWarning!!!....graphic photo alert...ie:..put down that slice of pizza first..... ;D

As I mentioned my other camera broke when trying to take this pic yesterday. I used my Go Pro so this is a wide angle shot....like my head needed to be made to look more like Charlie Brown's.... ;)

and from the front...lol...I actually think I look better on the left.... ;)

Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2009, 04:41:57 pm »
Bob

Honestly, you look GREAT! The incision isn't bad at all and looks like its healing great!  Truly!

You look fab! Hang in there.... I'm cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

joebloggs

« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2009, 05:02:53 pm »
Looking good Bob - this'll sound weird but I think you're lucky to have short hair - Now that mine is growing back you can't tell I've had brain surgery which is a bit of a sadness! I am proud of my scar!  If I tell someone I had brain surgery in March I want them to see my scar and say "Oh wow!", not look at me and say "Really?"!!!  I need a t-shirt that says "I went and had brain surgery and all I got was this lousy scar on my tummy". 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2009, 06:33:58 pm »
Thanks for the warning, Bob.  Your suturing is identical to mine.  I recognize Dr. McCall's work. 
I like your shirt.  Where did you get it?  Don't tell me Maui.
Your face is looking good.  You'll be all back sooner than I was.

JB,
You must be wearing one of those midriff baring t shirts!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

moe

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »
COOL- impressive incision.
My husband called me "Franken-mom" after my surgery, in a loving and tender way of course. :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2009, 09:00:52 pm »
Your incision is a different shape to mine. Did you have the translab?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

epodjn

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:20 pm »
Mine's a differnt shape too and I had translab. mines more like a big 7. It goes from just above the front of my ear and then down behind my ear but it doesn't curve like yours does. I guess  surgeons like to put their own spin on things.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2009, 10:53:52 pm »
Looking good Bob - this'll sound weird but I think you're lucky to have short hair - Now that mine is growing back you can't tell I've had brain surgery which is a bit of a sadness! I am proud of my scar!  If I tell someone I had brain surgery in March I want them to see my scar and say "Oh wow!", not look at me and say "Really?"!!!  I need a t-shirt that says "I went and had brain surgery and all I got was this lousy scar on my tummy". 

I feel the same way!!  And the lousy scar on my tummy really is lousy.  I think it was done by a first year med student with his/her first opportunity to slice and dice. 

Bob, you look great! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2009, 12:45:49 am »
Maybe Bob and JB and Anissa should get the outline of their scars tattooed onto their head. Then you can show if off whenever you like.  8)

(The idea occurs to me because Bob's looks like a tattoo in the side view photo).

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:42 am »
That might be an idea Steve!  Perhaps I just need to keep my head shaved and everyone will see it!  I saw this story today on the BBC News site and I thought wow, she's got my post op haircut!  I even had hair resembling dreds after all that time not washing it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8116876.stm

Mmm... Nancy - I can honestly say I have NEVER owned a midriff baring top and I'm pretty sure I never will!  Especially now I'm post op - not only do I have this particularly unforgiving scar on my guts, I also have a significant muffin top going on due to my foolish post-op eating frenzy! 

I think Bob should tell people a shark tried to take a chunk out of his head when he was out and about on the water.  Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2009, 07:04:15 am »
I feel better now.  My tummy scar is unsightly.  My eating was pre-op as I thought, Why would I diet through the holidays and on my tropical vacation if perhaps I didn't survive brain surgery?  That would be a real waste of a good time.  I'm paying for it now. 
I love the shark idea!  Up here it would be a snapping turtle.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2009, 09:02:30 pm »
LOL...my brother started a thread on the standup forum we frequent asking what I should do with the scar. Lots of interesting tattoo ideas, waves, fish, Cape Cod Bay Challenge logo. I was kind of wishing they had put in a waterproof cellphone/mp3 zip pocket.... ;D

Update 1 week + 2
Reducing steroids daily, percocet and Motrin as needed for pain.
Walking confidentally, gardens, stairs, sidewalks. No long walks yet (just one of 1/2 mile) but if we ever get enough sun... ;D
Only a slight stabbing pain in the ear occasionally. Headaches seem to be under control
Sleeping well. Eating like a horse....nobody mentioned the desire to clean refidgerators of food. Need to stop that!
Slight workout along with balance PT today. Very light weights, shoulder and bcep/tricep exercises while walking in place and doing balance PT.
Face is still very weak. Can close my left eye but only if I close the right as well. No smile on left. I can feel some improvement today though. Yesterday seemed like a low spot for face. Tough reading and using computer.

Time for bed!