Author Topic: Goodness Sakes! Surprising switch to Gamma Knife  (Read 4846 times)

Sam Rush

Re: Goodness Sakes! Surprising switch to Gamma Knife
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 10:03:05 pm »
62 is still considered young for AN purposes. I had my surgery at 61. I'm surprised Dr. B recc no surgery, however, I would go along w/ his advice.   
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
 8)

I met ole Grandpa Brackmann in person last spring… he is a wonderful man and I truly see him as THE ole guru of our AN world.

I just gotta love Grandpa Brackmann. I sure hope that when I am his age my learning curve is as on the mark as his is. He is one intelligent and gifted man - if ever I met one. He has such a presence to him- that I cannot explain.

My hope is that he will one day find the route cause of AN’s – in his research.

This whole post has me going to sleep tonight with a big smile…

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 11:48:32 pm »
Karen,

Since you are on speaking terms with Doc Brackmann now, why don't you ask him directly? I would think he could tell you who at House is doing Gammaknife treatments, how long they have been doing them there, and what sort of results they have gotten. Don't be shy!

Sam,

Even though 62 is still young enough for surgery, I suspect that Dr. B. also now considers it old enough for radiation, and is viewing it as a good option for avoiding facial nerve impact or other side effects in Karen's case.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

fbarbera

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:34 am »
I'm pretty sure doctors are obligated to provide this kind of information if asked.  If you're too uncomfortable asking the doctor directly, maybe you can ask an administrator or nurse practitioner at House for the data.  I asked Dr. Slattery how many GK's he had performed and it was around 50 at that time -- a much lower number than other neurosurgeons with whom I'd visited (Dr. Christopher Duma in Orange County is one example).  As I mentioned, I think House has been reluctant to embrace radiation so it would not be surprising if their doctors in general have less experience than others with GK.  But that is just a guess.  You should not hesitate to ask these questions directly. 

Francesco

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:18:07 pm by fbarbera »

Sam Rush

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 12:22:18 pm »

The reason House is reluctant to embrace radiation is because their surgical statistics are so outstanding !!! They are far beyond the practice mode when it comes to AN treatment. It is radiation, although it appears promising in some circumstances, that is still in the practice mode. Remember, no-one really knows the LONG term consequences of radiating benign tumors, such as AN's.

Sam
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:41:18 am by sgerrard »
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

fbarbera

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 12:49:28 pm »
I did not mean to impugn House's surgical abilities, which are well-established.  The point of my post was that they may not have done as much radiation as other medical centers because they are have long advocated surgery over radiation.

GK has been in use for nearly 50 years and there is no basis in the medical literature for suggestions of negative LONG term consequences of radiotherapy.

Francesco
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:40:54 am by sgerrard »