Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 4772 times)

LADavid

Wow!
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:15:23 am »
It's been a long time.  I was just lurking today and saw a lot of names from the past were posting in the cognitive/emotional section and it really hit home.  Sometimes it seems like most people passed through here and moved on with their lives.  But there are those that have to face the mirror every morning, or wake praying for a painless day, or try to walk down the street in a straight line and it doesn't go away.  I know what you are going through.  Ever since I got the news that synkinesis does not go away, I've been through a rollercoaster of emotions and doubts.  Especially the doubts.  I learned a lot in that time.  Stuff I naively was unaware of before.  I hope I can share that with you.  I tried to go back to acting.  It seems that Hollywood doesn't want a crooked smile.  Gotta run, I just saw a post on disability
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Wow!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:06 am »
You have been sorely missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :-* :-* :-*

If Mark Ruffalo can do it... if Steve Colbert can do it..... if Dusty Hill can do it... David, in the pit of my soul, I KNOW you can do it as well!  There has got to be a role out there and I KNOW it will find you and that precious talent you can bring to the big screen!  :)

Sending MAJOR holiday hugglez to you.... always thinking of you.... I think you know that... and thrilled to see you here!  Truly, you've been missed!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
Hey David .....

Good to see you posting again!  You have been missed!

Yes, most of us have daily reminders of the uninvited guest we had (or have) in our heads.  Some days are better than others but for many of us it has taken major adjustments in our lifestyles ..... and much patience!

Sometimes this twist in the road called life has resulted in a new career pathway that is even more rewarding than the previous one.  I am finding that to be true ..... but not without frustrations and disappointments along the way to manage.

Hang in there.  Still waiting on seeing/reading your book!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »
Hey there LA!!!

You have been sorely missed around here but I've been keeping up with you on that there facebooky machine.  Crooked smile gives you character!  Keep knocking on those  doors and bugging agents and using your connections.  I'm an artist, too, and when I found that I could no longer paint the giant 6 foot landscapes that I was known for, I changed mediums.  Several times in fact.   I've got other issues going on besides my AN ones and I'm down but not out.  Neither are you, sir!

We all love you here,

Capt DebAAAARRRRRR!!!!!
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »
Hi, David ~

Like many 'old-timers' here, I've thought about you and wondered how you were doing.  I'm sorry to learn that it's been a rough road.  I believe you'll surmount the obstacles, in time, but as you noted, the 'AN journey' is definitely a learning experience and some of the lessons are not always positive. 

I look forward to seeing more posts from you and to read your insights.  You really have been missed.  Welcome back. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »
Hi David,
I think you're the same David I know from Facebook.    I'm so sorry to hear of you AN BIG issues and believe me we here all know the gravity and the impact it plays on our lives.  You've got to keep up the struggle day by day and you note say it all for me.   I retired on disability and don't know how I could survive back in the classroom with my confused head chronic pain.  and honestly I don't know how I am going to face the next 30 or more years with this pain....pain in the neck that brings on headaches.  Changing your life's occupation has got to be a big downer and I wouldn't know where to begin.   Could you go into some other part of the industry like directing or producing?   Just a thought.   Keep writing to us.   We are here for you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »
Hey, if JR Rodriguez can be an actor....don't know why they can't use you!!   Nice villain role I think..LOL.    Just tell them you were in a war...that ought to do it.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:38 pm »
David -

I agree with Phyl and the others; if anyone can do it you can.

Glad to see you back on the Forum.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »
Hi Guys
I tried to make a go of it acting -- but I had a triple whammy that Mark Ruffalo and others didn't have.  Half my face is paralyzed making it hard to talk and impossible to smile, I don't have great balance and I was missing floor marks by a yard, and I am now nearly deaf and I couldn't hear direction -- even with a hearing aid.  Auditions were pathetic.  I just had to move on.  No matter how much I wanted to make it happen -- it wasn't going to happen.  I let my commercial agent know that if there were any roles for a senior victim of a stroke, I'd give it a shot.  But I really have turned my full attention to writing...and am much happier.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »
Hi, David ~

The resilience of AN patients never ceases to impress me.

Although I'm sorry to learn that your AN complications forced you to retire from your acting career I'm encouraged by the fact that although it had to be wrenching, you've apparently made peace with that reality and are utilizing your talents in a new direction.  I wish you great success.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:50:32 pm »
LAdavid
You are truly an inspiration. You sound like a very strong sole. Stay positive.  Would like to read some of your writings.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Keri

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
Hi David,
Thanks for opening up and sharing. I read your stuff on facebook, but I guess facebook is good for quick little quips.. I didn't realize the whole context of what was going on with you.
I agree with the others, maybe something will come up. But I'm also glad you are happy with writing. Your writing, I'm sure, will have a lot of depth that it wouldn't have if you had not been through so much.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 06:17:41 pm »
David -

When God closes a door, He opens a window.

You are an awesome writer.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways