Author Topic: What to expect after Retrosigmoid  (Read 2525 times)

Faithroy

What to expect after Retrosigmoid
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:12:22 am »
Hello, I am new to this forum and haven't had a chance to read every forum, so this may be a redundant question. I am having the Retrosigmoid approach performed tomorrow 2/23/16 in Baton Rouge by Dr. Arriaga. I have read a lot on it versus translab and neuro surgeon said we could change approach as late as day of surgery. I know with translab I will guaranteed loose hearing. I have little to no loss in my hearing. My only symptoms right now are tinnitus and a little vestibular issues that is barely noticeable. I am a speech language pathologist and rehab director in a nursing home. So hearing and facial nerve preservation are very important in doing my job. But I would choose to loose hearing over facial paralysis. Can anyone please tell me what you experienced post op? My AN is 1.2cmx10mm approx. I had CK done in June and it has continued to grow with a possible new characteristic making it also a menegioma. Any advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated!!! I also have a 5yr old and 16 month old so their care is making me anxious.
Faith Roy

AN diagnosed in 2012.
CK in June of 2015
Continued to grow, scheduled for Retrosigmoid on 2/23/16

areles

Re: What to expect after Retrosigmoid
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:54:14 pm »
take this with a MASSIVE grain of salt, as i'm no expert, am not going through this personally, and have only our consults with drs. schwartz and milller at house and dr. friedman at keck to go on, but based on what they've told me with respect to my son's tumor (twice the size of yours) and why they aren't recommending retro for it:

the post op headaches you hear about seem to be experienced most often by patients who've had retro (though note, with tumors under 1cm).

further,

translab seems to offer the best opportunity for total removal while protecting the facial nerve.

they also said that retro only offered a small percentage of hope for hearing preservation.  with translab it's a given you'll lose it; with retro, there's a chance of keeping it, but not necessarily a huge one.

obviously our choice, for us, was clear.

that said, they DID all three tell me that retro would be more of an option for him if his tumor were smaller, like yours, and if he had more usable hearing than he does (he has about 30%); his lack of significant usable hearing makes the benefits of retro not worth the potential costs (leaving tumor behind, significant post-op headaches).  so we didn't hesitate to go with translab (his is also tomorrow, btw).

i can kind of see why your surgeons are telling you you can go either way, in light of your existing hearing and the size of your tumor, but i'd be hesitant to change the game plan at the 11th hour, unless you're already well researched on their experience with both types, and their outcomes, especially if your surgeon feels retro is the best approach.

what is your gut telling you, though?
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}