Author Topic: Will weight implant give me a normal blink?  (Read 6243 times)

psmix

Will weight implant give me a normal blink?
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:26:37 am »
I've been using a Blinkeze weight for about 6 weeks now, and have scheduled an appointment for an implant. The Blinkeze definitely helps, but I often have to replace the adhesive several times a day and it's just a hassle. I've been a little bit disappointed that, even with the Blinkeze, my "bad" eye doesn't blink naturally with my other eye (it blinks well when make a conscious effort to blink), and I find that I still have to use Refresh PM ointment several times a day. I have increased the size of the weight once to try to get more "blink", but it didn't make much of a difference.

My question is, should I realistically expect that a weight will give me a completely normal blink? I don't know if I should go for an even heavier implant, or if this is as good as it gets (which is considerably better than without any weight at all!)

I'm almost 4 months post-op and haven't gotten any movement back in my face yet. Nerve is intact, so I am patiently waiting for some improvement, but I think it's going to be awhile. I want to have whatever the optimal intervention is in the meantime. I appreciate your experiences!

Pam
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

Kaybo

Re: Will weight implant give me a normal blink?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
Well, being as I can't watch myself blink, I can't answer you for sure BUT I wouldn't think that it would blink completely normally since that is an instinctive thing that you body does (can't think of the correct word right now).  I tried different weights - after it was implanted - because we just couldn't get the right one, even after using the Blinkeze.  However, I caution that as the skin is so delicate!!  When I had a weight in, I used Refresh PM only at night and one drop of Systane during the days (unless it got red)... Hopefully you will find that the implant is even better than the Blinkeze...& it is definitely easily reversible!!

Good luck!!

K   ;D

Out of curiosity, do you have feeling n your face??
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
I have an implant and while I am able to close with a conscious effort, my regular blink is not complete. It's better than without, though. The major benefit is not having to tape my eye shut or wear a patch at night. Like you, I use Refresh PM two to three times daily.

The implant is way better than the BlinkEze. I could never get the adhesive right and it would roll just as soon as I blinked.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

moe

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:29 am »
Since I had my facial nerve cut my blink reflex will never return :-\ (this is even with two surgeries to reboot the facial nerve). So the weight helps me to lower the eyelid.
And yes,it is reversible, so a good idea for protection of the cornea (very important!). Hopefully your face will "come back" over time. Since your face nerve wasn't cut, there is hope. I'd say go for it  :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

MARAKI

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:31:41 pm »
Hi Pam! I had the same question with you! I have tarsorraphy 15months now! The movement in the whole face have been improved but the forehead and the eye have shown the less improvement.
What moe said really disappoint me as I had facial nerve cut too!
An opharmologist told me that an implant unfortunately won;t offer me the blinking but I would able probably protect the eye as I have protected with tarsorraphy so far.
Personally I would removed tarsorraphy after summer and if it is necessary I would put the implant too! I can;t wait any more with tarsorraphy!
Maraki

moe

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:23 am »
Marakai,
I also had the tarsorrhaphy before my gold weight for about 6 months. I was so relieved to get that eye open. ;)
Since you do have some movement in your face, except for the forehead and eye, that is a GOOD sign. Who knows in time maybe you will get some blink reflex back once the tarsorrhaphy is reversed. Everyone is different. Apparently I had a double whammy. I have a poor blink reflex to begin with (the oculoplastic surgeon could tell this by eye exam to both eyes), and then I had the tumor that had been in there so long, the doctor said most of the "branches" were also affected. So that is why even with the surgeries to connect the face nerve back, and then the subsequent 12/7 nerve graft, there was minimal rejuvenation.

So take heart, and keep your spirits up for better results. That is  so cool that your face is moving!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

psmix

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »
Thanks for your input. I have an appointment with the occular plastic surgeon tomorrow, and I'll see what she thinks.

Kaybo - yes, most of the feeling has returned to my face, though I still have some numbness around my mouth. Sometimes I think I'm getting small movement in my lower lip, but closer to the center than the outer corner. Does that seem wierd? I always thought the movement would start at the side of my face and move toward the center, since that's how the nerve grows. Maybe it's my imagination.  :P
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:48:23 pm »
I don't have any feeling in the paralyzed side of my face - I thought that it was this way for everybody with a paralyzed face until I got on here!!  I'm finding out now that I am in the great MINORITY!!  That's OK though - it just makes me more special!!  I was just curious!  Let us know what the occuloplastic surgeon says!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leanne

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 07:37:48 am »
Hi Kaybo,

I too dont have any feeling in the paralyzed side of my face. I have started to get a bit of movement back around my mouth though. :) 
I am starting physio therpary soon which includes an electrical stimulant programme so hopefully that will help to get some more movement & get some feeling back.

Leanne x

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »
Kay, I don't have feeling all over the injured part of my face. At first, I did not have feelings at all, but gradually I started to pay my dentist for anaesthetic when he did my teeth  :P However, I still dont feel anything around my lips, on the nose, a little bit on the cheek and on the forehead. I dont feel anything in the eye - so that is why i can't tell when i have an eye lash.  so it is not a problem when i put drops in this eye.

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:14 pm »
Hrissy~
I don't think I realized this - so do you feel PART of the AN side?

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 12:43:04 am »
Yes, Kay, part of my face I can feel, the other is just numb as the worst parts are forehead and the corner of the mouth

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co