Author Topic: Acoustic Neuroma Surgery webcast  (Read 2281 times)

madshackle

Acoustic Neuroma Surgery webcast
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:48:15 pm »
First a word of caution. The video is graphic, it has the potential to upset any viewer.

The whole thing is about an hour and a half with the first 15-20 minutes discussing ANs in general. The surgery lasted 12 hours so it has been edited and starts with the surgery site already opened and proceeds with the removal of the tumor ( a large one with brain stem compression ) and closing of the site. The last 15 minutes is a wrap up discussion with both doctors saying how important it is for the patient to do their research on the options that they have and not be coerced, or rushed into a decision.

I watched it and I am glad I did, but it is not essential viewing.

http://www.or-live.com/prohealthcare/1596/

peace
Dave
2 mm right side with severe hearing loss and tinnitus. No growth since detection Summer 2006. Watch and wait, next MRI in March 2008.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
Re: Acoustic Neuroma Surgery webcast
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:33:21 pm »
What a wonderful webcast this was.  I'm a newbie and have been trying to get as much information as I can and this is certainly a great presentation.  Thank you!

Sue
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

matti

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:36:40 pm »
Dave - Thanks so much for the link. I watched and found it extremely fascinating. Learned a few things too. Not sure I would have wanted to watch prior to my surgery though :-\  It is very graphic.

I had the option of having my surgery video taped, but the day of my surgery the camera was not working. Sure beats watching boring vacation videos LOL

Thanks again!!
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

madshackle

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:21:37 am »
Glad you liked it and or found it informative !

Dave
2 mm right side with severe hearing loss and tinnitus. No growth since detection Summer 2006. Watch and wait, next MRI in March 2008.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:43 am »
I watched that last week but Adrian said he did not want to and I completely understand since he is the one who will have to go through it. I found it very interesting though!

For those who prefer less graphic, I found these animations on how the different procedures available are performed. Really great to understanding the techniques and the differences between them.

http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/animations.htm

Sam~
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!