Author Topic: AN with pressure and tinnitis that comes and goes? (my brother)  (Read 1445 times)

anissa

• My Journey
My brother has been having tests for ear problems and signs are starting to point to AN for him too, what would be the odds of that??  Anyway his symptoms:
in the left ear:
hearing loss/loss of word discrimination
ringing and pressure that comes and goes - is helped by lipoflavanoid and low sodium diet
no vertigo/balance issues
no facial spasms/weakness

At first they thought it was Menier's disease (which I guess it still could be), then maybe a inner ear auditory bone malfunction of some sort.  He had a CT scan yesterday which showed that the IAC on the left side was enlarged a bit.  Now an MRI is scheduled for next week but the Dr. is out of town so he won't get his results for a week after the MRI.  Any ideas?  The ringing and pressure that comes and goes is what is throwing me off.  Help!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

kenneth_k

Re: AN with pressure and tinnitis that comes and goes? (my brother)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:56:03 am »
Hi Annissa.

I think the odds of your brother also having an AN are extremely low. But then again, who knows?
In case of AN's, intermittent or diffuse symptoms cannot be ruled out.

I sure hope he doesn't have one though.

Kind regards, Kenneth

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »
Anissa ~

This is why ANs are so often misdiagnosed...the symptoms mimic many other things.  We have to acknowledge that once we go through the AN experience, we tend to see almost anything related to ear problems, dizziness or other AN-type symptoms as potentially caused by an acoustic neuroma.  Unfortunately, because I'm not a doctor, anything I could offer as an explanation for your brother's symptoms would be pure speculation.  I agree with Kenneth that his symptoms are not likely being caused by an acoustic neuroma - but the MRI results will be the ultimate judge of that.  Too bad your brother has to wait a week, but try not to envision the worst until you know something definitively.  It's better that way.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MissMolly

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »
Hi Anissa,
In my quest to find out what was wrong with me, I was told by my primary care that I had sinus infections, by the ENT that I was using Qtips too much and/or my jaw was clenched, causing the ringing and by the audiologist that it was most likely an 'anomoly' but not an AN because they're extremely rare.  The only true way to diagnosis is to wait it out and see what the MRI says.  Best of luck to your brother. 

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:31:46 pm »
Anissa -

pretty much the only thing that will confirm - or rule out - an AN is an MRI.

Many of us had different symptoms prior to our diagnosis.  I had diminished hearing and a feeling of fullness in my AN ear.  I also had balance issues, but didn't realize it until after my diagnosis.  I never had tinnitus, vertigo, or facial "issues".  And then there are those who are misdiagnosed for years because no one thinks their symptoms are consistent with an AN.

Hopefully your brother will have some concrete answers soon.  Please let us know what his doctor has to say.

Good luck to him,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:39:19 pm »
Anissa,
Hope your brother does NOT have an AN. This is a rare tumor, and as I understand it is NOT genetic.
But if he does, then he will have a great support person - YOU.
Keep us posted.
 Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

suboo73

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:07 am »
Hi Annissa, how are you today?

You know that i am here with my sister and that is what it is. 
Genetic you say?  One doctor said absolutely not. 
One doctor said, well maybe but just not 'proven' yet.  (Genome maps and all.)

Sure - my sister and are and not typical i guess.  But since ANs do not discriminate, anything is possible!
--------------------
My sister had a diagnosis as fast as she could have the tests and results (less than 6 months.) 
Me - i was misdiagnosed for 12+ years and had to ASK for the MRI.
------------------------
Your brother is doing the right thing - going for the MRI! 
Best wishes that he does NOT have an AN.

I am grateful to MRIs - i like the most information i can get, that is just how i am.

Our best to your brother.

Please keep us posted on the MRI results.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:01:06 am »
Isn't amazing how tuned in to ANs we become once we are diagnosed?  I had never heard of AN before my MRI and since then , I have met several people who have had one.  One of my parents at school started suffering from vertigo after I had my surgery, and now she says they think she has more than an ear infection going on, and they suspect a tumor of some sort.  She is waiting on the results. Totally freaky.  I hope your brother's results prove otherwise, but then again, look at Sue and her sister!  Keep us posted. The intermittent thing is a little different
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.