Author Topic: Crooked smile - In watch & wait  (Read 5594 times)

Kat From Indiana

Crooked smile - In watch & wait
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »
In W&W and experiencing some hearing loss, lots of rip roaring noise (you could call it tinnitus, but it's so much more) and some balance issues.  Now I look in the mirror and my smile is crooked.  This is new and real. I am not imagining it.  I have read that the facial muscles aren't involved until after treatment.  Anyone else have issues with their face pre-treatment?  Wouldn't you consider this a reason to turn from Watch & Wait and gravitate toward treatment??? :-\
Diagnosed 3/29/14 Right Side AN 8mm x 3mm x 4mm
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014

john1455

Re: Crooked smile - In watch & wait
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »
Any affect on facial expression (like a crooked smile) usually means the trigeminal nerve is being impacted and this can happen before or after any treatment. But it may not necessarily be an AN that is affecting the trigeminal nerve (other types of tumors can do it too). To answer your question, I would think this is definitely a sign to start thinking seriously about moving towards definitive treatment because as symptoms multiply, they will not likely go away after treatment so the more you accumulate prior to treatment, the more baggage you will have afterwards. That is the greatest danger for those who choose W&W. I unknowingly put myself on W&W which resulted in 70% hearing loss in my right ear. I never had any facial issues, though, just hearing and tinnitus in the beginning and finally balance issues after over 15 years.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

Echo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:54:06 am »
When I was first diagnosed with my 1.8cm AN, I had only hearing loss issues.  Within a year of that diagnosis while doing my research on treatment options, and sort of doing a W+W, I developed balance issues, a numbness at the corner of my mouth and the tip of my tongue and facial tremors when I sneezed that ran from my jaw line up to my eye on the AN side. My neurosurgeon told me the trigeminal nerve was starting to be effected.  My hearing did get a bit worse, but I also noticed mild changes to my face.  When I'm tired or having a really wonky day, my right eye becomes more narrow than my left and there is a slight curve upwards towards the right when I smile.  My family notice the slight changes to my face and are able to tell when I'm over tired, however, I don't think it's that noticeable to others at this point. 
At the end of that initial year my AN had grown to to 2.4cm.  Based on the growth and symptom increases I opted to have Gamma Knife.

Now at 6 months post Gamma, my hearing levels have remained the same, but my word recognition has dropped from 70% to 20%.  My balance issues are ongoing some days better than others.  My facial tremors interestingly, disappeared a month prior to my Gamma Knife treatment and have not returned.  The numbness at the side of my mouth disappeared several months ago and the numbness on the tip of my tongue comes and goes but is mostly gone.

Deciding to move forward or not and with which treatment is a very personal and difficult decision.  Each treatment also comes with it's own risks.  Weigh your options carefully.  The more research you do, the more helpful it is in making your decision.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:01:35 am »
I'm no expert, but in my opinion, any time you encounter new symptoms or the symptoms you have worsen it's time to do something about your AN.

You don't want things to get worse while you watch & wait; especially because some symptoms may be irreversible the longer you wait.

If it were me I'd seriously start looking into treatment options.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22:18 am »
This means your facial nerve is being involved too.     My facial neuroma started showing symptoms about a month before my MRI apt,   Dr Gantz at Univ of Iowa said it probably was a facial nerve tumor but could not tell for sure until he got in there.  it was and he tried to remove it without severing the nerve but did.  He had told me ahead of time that he would then graft in a piece of nerve from by the ear if it was severed.     I did have to have time before my face improved as knew but do look ok at rest and don't have movement around my eye but am better off than some who have had to go thru more surgery later for the face.       
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kat From Indiana

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:02:01 pm »
I met with the radiologist at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis, on Monday of this week.  He recommended Gamma Knife and my gut said, go for it.  They are getting the new Perfection Gamma Knife in August, but I have been noticing more facial and balance issues, so I don't want to wait.  I have waited all week for a call from the scheduler, but nothing yet.  I wonder if it takes a while for Insurance to approve?  I have Anthem.  I am so grateful for all of you in this forum.  Everyone is so helpful and eager to share their experiences.
Diagnosed 3/29/14 Right Side AN 8mm x 3mm x 4mm
GK UPMC 6/13/14
MRI 12/03/2014