Author Topic: my follow up MRI is tomorrow  (Read 1103 times)

waypoint

my follow up MRI is tomorrow
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:11:20 pm »
 I have a bit of a scare in December on my 1 yr MRI. Turns out the Doctor said, it was nothing to worry about, but he would schedule another on at 6 months. Well, that MRI was this past Tuesday. The Dr. office called and made and appoint to see the Dr. tomorrow to go over the results. Of course, the MRI place gave me a CD when I left and sure enough I looked at it when I got home. Could not make heads or tail of the thousands of photos. I ended up just turning it off rather than scaring myself. It was bringing me down.

The toughest part is even after its eradicated. I still have to deal with this AN. I just want assurance its gone. Now I have all kinds of thoughts as to what he might says. Its rather nerve recking. What scare me is the increase frequency of others here saying they have regrowth. Well, I'll know one way or the other tomorrow.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
Re: my follow up MRI is tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:45 am »
Here's thinking positive thoughts for you (or would that be negative thoughts since the preferred outcome is that your MRI is negative for a regrowth, this whole language thing is so confusing). Anyway...here's to hoping there was no regrowth.

I've always found the waiting in limbo, waiting for a result, was the hardest.

Waypoint?... GPS much?

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:26:26 am »
Waypoint -

I know what you mean about the thousands of photos on the MRI CD.  I couldn't figure out mine either last year.

Did you get a copy of the radiologist's report?  I found that much more helpful. 

I hope your doctor only has good things to say.  I'll say a prayer for you.

Please let us know the outcome.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:52:25 am »
Waypoint:

We can all empathize with your fears and concerns about your latest MRI.  Many of us have been in the same situation.  Jan is right about the radiologist's report, which is a lot more informative than viewing the actual scans.  The radiologist knows what he's looking at.  Although the radiologists report is often somewhat indecipherable, you can usually discern if he saw any re-growth or other issue and if necessary, there are online medical dictionaries to help you make sense of the Latin and scientific phrases they use to obfuscate their conclusions.

This situation you're dealing with ('wait-and-worry') is why I've always scheduled my (now-annual) MRI scan with a consult with my neurosurgeon almost immediately afterward (he's in the building next door to the hospital where I have the MRI).  This way, I don't have to spend much time worrying - I get his opinion within an hour of getting out of the MRI apparatus.  I highly recommed this approach to anyone scheduling their MRI.  Try to schedule your doctor visit the same day, if possible.  It can save a lot of often unnecessary anxiety. 

Waypoint, I can only hope and pray that the MRI is 'clear' and you can continue your remarkable recovery.   Let us know ASAP.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:48:30 am »
I've always scheduled my (now-annual) MRI scan with a consult with my neurosurgeon almost immediately afterward

I had my appt. with my nuerotologist a few hours after my MRI. Even though he is across town, he can access the MRI lab's private web site for doctors, and bring the MRI images up on screen, while calling the radiologist with his cell phone. They then discuss the MRI on the spot. The way technology is moving, I think one of these years we will just do the MRI review over lunch. :)

Waypoint, best wishes for a clean MRI.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.