Author Topic: Results of the 1yr MRI are in --- GREAT NEWS!!!  (Read 1931 times)

waypoint

Results of the 1yr MRI are in --- GREAT NEWS!!!
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:19:49 pm »
After four weeks of painful guessing and wondering about what I was looking at on my MRI and what exactly the report said, Dr. Chang yesterday gave me the good news    ;D... He said that the left post-AN side look good and that nothing was growing. What the Radiologist report was talking about was attributable to the AN surgery artifacts. Dr. Chang said that the person that did the MRI doesn't have the luxury of comparing and reviewing against my previous MRIs. That person also, doesn't know my history and the details. The Doc said there's no difference when he compared it to my 3mth post-op MRI. He also said he did not agree with the report from the radiologist about the right side. That is was not an AN and that I was not NF2. This tiny area they were referring to was some minor inflamation and would probably not be there on the next MRI. Regardless, he said not to worry... He also gave me all my MRIs to keep and that he would set me up to have another MRI in 6 months just to put my mind at ease. I also had a hearing test, and nothing changed. Still deaf on the left side and great hearing on the right. Now, with all this good,  I have to tell you this trip was not without major PAIN. :-[

The Doc says my scar looks great except for down by the neck area.  He called it a Keloid (scarring tissue), I refer to that section as an eathworm that has permanently attached itself to my neck  :D. I asked him won't this go away over time.  He said it might, but he doubted it since I was 14 months post op. He said that down the road if I wanted "scar revision", he could and would do it, and that it was covered under insurance. I said covered? Heck yeah... In the meantime, he said what I can do is try steriod injections to see if we can get the keloid to shrink and be less noticeable, so I might not have to have scar revision surgery.  He asked "You still want the steriod treatment? We can do it now." I said, "Sure, will it hurt?"  ???... Without pausing, said says, "Oh, yeah its gonna hurt"  :D He proceedes to pull this needle out and dissapears behind my head.     :o Holy Jesus - Mother Mary... :o I reverted 35yrs back to a 3 year old and had tears flowing from a tear duct, I wasn't suppose to be working anymore... After 8 injections, he say we're done. Its not the needle that hurt, its the steroid liquid. That awful burning sensation lasted dang near an hour after we left his office. The best way to describe it was -- Have you ever accidentally stepped into a fire ant mound (yeah...like I'm the only person that's ever done that).  Except this time you left your head in the fire ant mound for an hour. Dr. Chang says, I'll see you again in a month for your next steroid treatment. Not likely, I'll have to think about it. Even a dog that's been wupped knows better than to come back asking for more. 

All in all, it was a great afternoon. I felt a heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  The great news was my Christmas wish.  The wife and I rejoiced and celebrated by going out to dinner last night.  Thanks to all the well wishes and prayers from everyone here. I'm a true believer, the power of prayer does work...

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Results of the 1yr MRI are in --- GREAT NEWS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:33:44 pm »
Waypoint:

Congratulations on the excellent MRI report and your doctor's positive evaluation.  :D  Sorry to learn about the steroid injection unpleasantness.  No one would blame you if you begged off doing that again.

I agree that prayer is effective when one believes.  I'm living proof, as are may other folks that post on the message boards. 

Happy Christmas!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:58:53 pm »
Totally awesome news, even with the fire-ant steroid injection. Woo-hoo!

All's well that ends well. Have a great holiday.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:16:49 pm »
Waypoint....great news about the MRI.

Dr. Chang is great....I like him a lot...he's very direct...I can definitely hear him saying "oh yeah, it's gonna hurt". Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll steer clear from the steroid shot treatment.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »
You couldn't ask for a much better Christmas present, could ya'?  That's great news!!

Sorry about the painful end to your visit - but you have to know if a doctor admits it's going to hurt - it really is!   :o  I got a cortisone shot in my hand once, and if it's anything like that, I can see why the tear duct decided to work!  Ouch!

I'd say the hour of pain was probably worth it to hear good news overall.

Celebrate big this holiday!!!  You deserve it!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »
Congratulations Waypoint!  Nothing in there but your brain; the news we all want to hear.  And sorry about the steroid injections--scar revision surgery will probably be less painful.  Just guessing here.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:38:22 am »
Hiu Waypoint!

Congratulations on your great report from Dr. Chang -- it sounds like the best Christmas a guy could ask for!!!  Sorry about the pain from the steroid injection -- I had a cortisone injecion in my knee once and concur with Lori -- I can see why your non-working tear duct worked.  Maybe this was the inducement in needed and will continue to produce tears.  I agree with you too, the power of prayers and positive thinking does work!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:25:17 am »
That is great news!  Christmas will be very special for you this year.  And I can sympathize with the shots.  I got a steroid shot for a shoulder problem many years ago.  The dr. said the shot would make the pain easier, and then gave me a shot that hurt for 24 hrs.  :'( :'(  .  Who's idea of easy was that!

Best wishes to you and yours!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:29:14 pm »
Great news on the MRI!  I know you're relieved!  Bummer about the steroid treatment, but it's better than another surgery.. well, I should wait to say that for another couple weeks.  :)  Congrats!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:07:53 pm »
Dr Chang ????????  in Houston Texas????????

He was my surgeon...........and yes Steroids in the head and stomach hurt . BUT nothing like the halo hurt 1 year ago..........

GREAT NEWS ..................my 1 year just passed and MRI was wonderful as well !!!!!!!!!!

WTG 8) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here