Author Topic: This week was baaaaddddd, and I am not looking forward to tomorrow.  (Read 1492 times)

waypoint

Tomorrow is the big day for me :-\. I am scheduled to meet with the Doctor to go over my 1yrs MRI result and let him tell me what they found or didn't find. I am definitely not looking forward to it, but hey, at least I will finally know what I am up against. The Mrs. has already said she is going with me and to be honest, I happy to know that she wants to be there by my side.  I plan to take the rest of the day off tomorrow just to deal with whatever the Doc has to say.

So, why was this week so bad??? Well, let me tell you. And just so the moderators don't move the thread, I will certainly tie this into AN issues.  I guess I could've titled this thread, "How to use AN issues to your benefit in court depositions"

I was contacted by my attorneys several weeks ago about a lawsuit and that I would need to come to Tennessee to give a deposition on. Tuesday was the day. Me on the stand, sworn videotaped deposition being grilled for 4 1/2 hours. That was bad, but here were the bright spots. Before I walk into the room, my attorney says, I told them your were deaf on one side and had all the plaintiffs' attorneys sit to your left. I said, but that's the side I'm deaf on. They sit on that side and they'll get nothing from me.  First thing that happens when I walk in is my attorney has everyone pack up and move to the right side of the room.  They were not happy. Score one for ANers.  So, these lawyers are asking all these convoluted multi-part questions to try to trip me up. Actually, often times I'm not entirely sure if the lawyer knew what he was asking. I was able to use my SSD to my advantage, "I'm sorry, could you repeat your question I missed half of that", "Could you says that again, I didn't hear you clearly", etc... Many times, they couldn't even repeat themselves and had to have the court reporter to re-read what they said. This was very beneficial because, it allowed me time to think about the question and provide clear answers. Score, two for ANers.  The best part came about 2 1/2 hours into the deposition. The lawyer is in the middle of a long drawn out incomprehensible question when my facial nerves decide to re-energize. Nerve regeneration is always welcomed as far as I'm concern, but this twitching happens to look just like a snarl or a growl  >:(.  Well it started and stopped and started and stopped and then held it position. I tried to ignore it, but it was obvious the other attorneys saw me snarling and were taken aback. Understand, this was all being videotaped. So, I had to cut the lawyer off and explain, this was an uncontrollable twitch as a result of my nerve regneration and it was nothing negative toward him or his question. I'm not sure if he believed me, but now I had a free pass to snarl at any question I disagreed with if I wanted to. Actually, the darn twitch had the most impeccable timing. Score three, for ANers. 

All in all, it was an exhaustive day which I hope not to have to go through again. 

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: This week was baaaaddddd, and I am not looking forward to tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »
Waypoint,

Good luck tomorrow!

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:58:06 pm »
Waypoint:

Who says having an AN and some facial nerve regeneration issues can't be advantageous? 

Seriously, your court experience was definitely stressful and so, your 1-year MRI scan will naturally find you in a less than serene frame of mind.  The unknown is always a bit scary but I hope and will pray (along with many others) that the MRI shows nothing to be concerned about and that your doctor can assure you of continued healing, albeit slowly.  Please keep us updated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
Waypoint~
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  You need to do something special for yourself after this stressful week!
Peace to your & your wife,

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:17:50 pm »
Good luck tomorrow - I hope it's all good news and you get to enjoy your day off worry-free!

You should have told me you'd be in TN - we could have gotten together for a snarling contest!   :D

Keep us posted!  Fingers are crossed!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 06:37:22 pm »
Waypoint,
Wishing you only good things.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:01:11 pm »
AN meets courthouse attorneys. AN wins. Nice.  ;D

And what's so bad about having a topic moved, anyway?  ::)

Best wishes for good news on the MRI tomorrow.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamara

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:39 pm »
LOL!!!  I read this to my family and we were all laughing!  :D  Yay for your facial nerve and yay for getting through the day.  Best wishes on the MRI!

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...