Author Topic: Golf may work but Softball is not for ANers...  (Read 3266 times)

waypoint

Golf may work but Softball is not for ANers...
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:30:50 pm »
My recovery over this past year has actually been going extremely well. My facial nerves have recovered enough that most people don't really notice my problem. My natural short hair does very little to hide the scar tough. Actually it has healed well except for the part down by my neck muscle which has spread some from all the turning. I starting playing golf again at 5 months and I noticed that my eyes were not strong enough or fast enough to track the ball off the tee. I kept losing the ball right off the drive. This was a physical limitation, which I overcame by having other watch my ball when it was my turn. Flash forward 11 months and lots of hand eye excerises. My eyes are fast enough to keep up with the drive of the tee. With a new driver, I'm actually hitting it straighter and farther then before AN. Last week, I participated in a Charity golf tournament for Phil Garner (former coach of the Houston Astros). It was very fun and has renewed my interest in golf all together. I now look forward to playing golf. Unfortunately, it may be one of the few sports I can still play well. Now for the ugly truth.

Last weekend, some friends called me up to play coed softball.  This was something I truly loved to do, but hadn't had much time to play before AN and was to afraid to try after AN.  But I felt good, so what the heck. I was game. I showed up to the softball field with my Nike cleats and certainly looked the part with my glove, bat bag, etc...  Here is where thing started to go down hill. Normally, I would play shortstop or left field, but I knew my limitations. At 38, I no spring chicken and post AN, I certainly wasn't going to set any land speed records. Everyone else out there was in there 20s and early 30s. So, I jogged out the righ center field to take my position. A spot that get little action. On my way out, I noticed parts of the cleats on my shoe laying in the field.  Turns out its been longer than I thought, the sole on my left cleat was rotted and breaking apart before my eyes. As the innings went on, more and more of the cleat kept falling off until all I had left was the felt soles.  I chose not to make a big deal out of it and just kept playing. By the end of the game, my socks were wet from the grass soaking through the shoes. It was embarrassing, but by no means #1 on my embarrassment list.

2nd inning i was finally up to bat. Only about 3 people their knew I had AN surgery, everyone else had no idea.  My stature and previous play was such that everybody backed up expecting I would hit it out of the park. And then it happened -- strike 1, strike 2, strike 3. I'm out... and the pitcher was a girl. I don't know if she was a great pitcher or I was a horrible batter. My timing of the softball pitch was so off that I struck out in one big production.  No one in the field said anything... Those that knew me looked in disbelief. Those that didn't we afraid to make fun of it because they didn't know me.  I walked off more embarrassed and dissapointed in myself. I wanted so hard to hit the ball that I was swinging way before the ball every got to me. I felt bad for the guys I left hanging on bases. They were probably wondering where in the world did the others find me. 

Ok, so I jog back out to right center field and more of my shoes are missing with every inning. First hit was a pop fly out to right center field....Hey that's me. I see the ball coming and run over and back up watching its trajectory come to my glove like a homing pigeon.  Just, as the ball gets to me, I realize that I'm off by about 2 inches. Yep, the ball flys right over my glove and beyond me. How embarrassing... so I turn to run down the ball. Now, I'm starting to fell like the kid in elementary school that is chosen last of anyone and he is chosen because they have to pick you.

My next opportunity in the field was even worse. I was determined not to let the ball get passed me. So here comes a line drive to right center field. I start running up to it to scoop it up on the bounce. Big mistake, one bounce and i lost it, again right pass me. Oh the tragedy. I was embarrassed that it got passed me again. This never happens.  Again, I start believing the other teammates questioning my ability to even play the sport. I thought that was the worse of it, but oh there was more to come.

In another inning in the game, I'm starting to pray "please don't let that ball come this way", but the other team seems to have found a weak spot in the field. BAMN..another line drive is headed for me. Learning from my mistakes, I try not to make them again. No way this ball as getting past me.  I start running towards it at full steam and get down to scoop it. I decide to lower my body into it to block the ball so it doesn't go pass me. And like slow motion in a bad movie, I lean over to bend down. My mind is telling me to stop, but my balance just keeps right on going. I find myself on my knees rolling in the grass. Like the titantic stopping on a dime. It just wasn't going to happen. I'm thinking O lord, did everyone just see that. Immediately, I scramble to find the ball and throw it over to 2nd base.  That's it, I've reached the pinnacle of self humiliation. 

It got so bad that evertime thereafter when it was my time to bat, the outfield actually scooted in closer. Oh the humanity....

In the end, the game was tied and fun was had by all, mostly at my expense.  I was so embarrassed after the game, that I decided not to hang around. I went home and threw away what was left of the soleless shoes in the trash.  That night, one of my friends called me to check up on me.  He was wondering where I went afterwards.  I told him I was so fustrated in my play that I didn't want to hang around. He said yeah, "you looked kinda rusty". What an understatement. He had forgotten that I had AN surgery just last year, and suddenly remember when I started playing.  He tried to cheer me up and urged me to continue to come out, practice, and play with them. Honesty, I think maybe I am getting to old for this kinda stuff. Maybe softball just isn't for me anymore post AN.  I think I'll stick to golf. Its easier to hit a ball that's standing still and its always going away from you... yeah that's the ticket. I'll stick to golf for now.

Thanks for letting me share.

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Golf may work but Softball is not for ANers...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:48:25 am »
Hey,
Sorry about your softball experience.  It's just awful to suddenly be bad at something you were so good at.  My sense is that with some practice you could regain some of your former skills if not all.  It's the new you and it can be very depressing.  I'm also trying to accept that and it's not easy.  Of course the one and only time I played softball I got a concussion and thereafter was afraid of all ball sports.  I basically duck and close my eyes when a ball comes at me.  I solved this problem by becoming a runner.  But I do get nervous when I pass the golf course on my running loop.   ;D  Oh, and remember, it's just a game.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:27:16 am »
Hey Waypoint

Its a brilliant post,  humorus and self-effacing, the very fact that you could even contemplate playing is an inspiration for me,  I have yet to go and have surgery and still at the I will be a cabbage for the rest of my life stage.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:30:05 am by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:56:34 am »
Sorry about the embarrassment your softball experience caused you, but it was a little funny at the same time because your writing was so descriptive.  Your descrption of your shoes falling apart a little at a time have me quite a few chuckles.  As far as the rest goes, you need to give yourself a break.  Your surgery was not that long ago and even if you  eel that you have fully recovered in most ways, maybe your motor skills and hand/eye coordination still need some fine tuning.  I, for one, applaud your desire and  willingness to retun to normal life.  Never give up anything you enjoy if you can help it. ;)

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:30:11 am »
Waypoint,

As a former racing sailor who has yet to set foot aboard a sailboat post-op, I could empathize with your story ,  at least when I picked myself up off the floor after falling off the couch laughing! Fast moving objects are definitely not for us, and I'm sure my deck shoes are in about the same shape as your cleats. We are in dire need of a Sports Director aboard the Princess Batty Wench, our virtual ongoing sailing cruise vessel, whose adventures are chronicles in the Good Morning thread down in the basement in the Community section.  I see by your name you are handy with a GPS, too! We'll be glad to rig a driving range up on the poop deck so you can practice your swing.

Enjoyed your story!

Swing Away!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Patti

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:03:03 am »
i give you credit for lasting the whole game!  i would have quit much earlier!  i found out after surgery that i can't ski or iceskate anymore.  my husband bought snowshoes for us and that's how we get our winter fun.  good luck.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

texsooner

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:18:24 am »
Waypoint, great story...thanks for sharing. I used to play softball too, but given your experience I think I'll stay retired from that. I'll stick to running, biking, and golf(don't need things flying at me!). Looks like we share the same doc(J Chang) here in Houston. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Glad to hear that the golf game is going well. Maybe you can't see the drives because you're hitting them so far!!  Keep it up....good luck.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:25 am »
Waypoint~
I could SOOOOOOOOOO empathize with your story as I basically had the same experience.  I was a PE major in college and taught PE in Houston before I had surgery.  I played EVERY sport, though not all were done well.  However, I had played softball my ENTIRE life and was pretty good at that.  I had one coach tell me that he could count on me for at least a double every time I got up to bat!  A year & a half after surgery, I decided to play on the church team.  My sweet hubby & I went to the batting cages first - out of 3 sets of balls pitched to me, I hit 3 (& that was just coincidence) - what was up with that? I was a coach and knew how to correct problems...didn't work!  It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life - needless to say, I left in tears.  I had always taken it for granted that I had just gone out & picked up a bat and gotten a good hit.  You'd have thought I would've hung up my cleats, but oh no...I was determined...before every game, my hubby or a teammate would start out just a few feet from me, pitching the ball & me batting (pretty dangerous for them b/c I still had a lot of power when I connected).  They would take a couple of steps back after I could hit a few at each distance until they were back as far as the mound - this helped me to adjust & track the ball.  The fielding was a whole 'nother story!  Can you say Bad News Bears??  Having played ball my whole life, I knew that in rec ball, the worst players were stuck in right field or at catcher - that was me!  How humiliating...I know ALL the steps to field a ball and I would repeat them over to myself...& then the ball would just go thru my legs - trust me, I know.  I will say that I stuck with it for the WHOLE season (even though I wanted to quit MANY times)...the last game of the season God blessed me - I got a TRIPLE on my last at bat...& I have never stepped on a diamond again!!  I did continue to play golf, even thru the pregnance of my 1st girly, but haven't played since - I plan on picking that up again once the girlies are older!  I don't play any individual tourneys anymore - only best ball scrambles - I am pretty tough with 3 guys b/c I "had" a wicked tee shot and since I am female, I get the advantage of the closer, women's tee boxes...let me know if you ever need a 4th!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:12 am »
Waypoint:

Thanks for making a somewhat depressing event in your recovery into an entertaining story we all enjoyed, even while we were wincing at the reality you described and that some of us have experienced, albeit without an audience.  We can (and do) laugh but we also understand the struggle you had attempting to do something that strains your post-AN abilities. 

You're a year out of serious brain surgery and pushing 40, so, your baseball playing days may be over.  I would guess that you'll do as you stated; abandon baseball and turn your focus toward golf, which is not only somewhat less strenuous but an easier game to adapt to whatever deficits you may have to deal with.   I think you'll be successful at reclaiming your golf game and with your ability to handle setbacks with a sense of humor and honest appraisal of the situation, followed by a strategy to surmount the obstacle involved, you'll do well in whatever sport you attempt.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
Hi waypoint,
  If you enjoy playing softball, I would encourage you to continue playing. Yes, your skill set may have changed slightly, but it does with age anyway  :) .  I still enjoy playing pickup basketball, perhaps not as effectively as before AN, since tracking fast moving objects is not quite as good as it used to be, but I still enjoy the competition, camaraderie , etc.  Few still play basketball at my age, so most players just assume that "the old dude" is just, well,  old. 
  Early on after An surgery, I used basketball practise (by myself) to help with vestibular retraining.  All the movement and spinning around was difficult at first, but it got better.
  If you still enjoy softball, keep after it, you'll get better too.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:09:31 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 10:46:43 am »
Hi! As a wait and watcher at 60 years old I`m still playing alot of golf and raquetball. There hasn`t been much of a change in anything. Probably one of the reasons why I`m holding on to this conceipt as long as I can. I can still run and just been asked to play with an over 60 softball group next year. Lets see how that goes! In any case I do believe that this activity along with proper nutrition + weight resistance training is essential to a good life no matter what you have. Keeping the faith and the best to all! Mickey

lori67

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:30:23 am »
Waypoint -

I'm sure that female pitcher was just really, really good!  And I'll bet with new cleats (and dry socks) you can make a big comeback!   ;D

Sorry to hear about your humilitating day.  If it makes you feel any better, I'll come play and trust me, you'll look like an all-star!  I wasn't good at golf or softball before my surgery, so I can only imagine how bad I am now.  Guess I'll just stick to miniature golf so I don't hurt anyone!

I hope that after the next game, you hang around to socialize.  You deserve a lot of credit just being brave enough to go out there after brain surgery and I have a feeling if all the other players knew what you'd been through,  they would be very impressed and admire your courage and strength. (Even if they aren't impressed by your footwear!).

Thanks for sharing your story!  Believe me - I was laughing with you - not AT you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 03:47:09 pm »
I used to play softball not that long ago ... now I have trouble just bouncing the ball and catching it with the dog !! .. its the hand - eye coordination , its totally different now .... I'm convinced with years of practice it would be like before... after all you did not learn over night as a kid did you ? . the problem is ... if I can just get the 18 year body back again too .. ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:34 pm »
Do you know what they call a softball player like you, Waypoint?

Coach!   ;D

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:35 am »

Hey Waypoint,

Thanks for your great story!  :D We all can take lessons from your willingness to go out there and give it a try.  Your cleats reminded me of my husbands old golf shoes.  The soles were falling off, but he is an avid golfer and more than a little superstitious about changing anything for fear it will affect his game.  He was just putting a big rubber band around the whole toe to keep the soles on.  He went golfing with his college buddies, and they took up a collection to buy him new golf shoes! 

I hope that I can be just as determined as you were for golf when I am on the other side of my surgery. :)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.