Author Topic: Scientists warn US Congress of cancer risk for cell phone use  (Read 4691 times)

waypoint

Scientists warn US Congress of cancer risk for cell phone use
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:46:42 pm »
Last year I questioned this, and alot here dismissed it as there is not connection.  But here is yet another news article today.  I'm not looking to blame, but am trying to find a connection.  I think that with better medical improvements, AN are being detected more so and that is why it seems that they are more an more common.  But I can't help to think that cell phones and wireless devices have some impact on my AN. Maybe not....well at least here is the article.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080925220553.si7sokjt&show_article=1
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

TP

Re: Scientists warn US Congress of cancer risk for cell phone use
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:56:34 pm »
Well considering we hear contradictory stuff all the time about what is good and bad with food, sweetners, medication, smoking, drinking and a bunch of other stuff why do people question the possiblity that cell phones or all these "waves" of stuff in the environment may possibly be affecting our bodies. I try to speak on a speaker phone as much as I can. I believe common sense may be our best medicien.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

thornapple

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:18:28 pm »
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=&q=cell+phone+cancer&btnG=Search+News

Here is a ton of information, none of it really conclusive...at least, the parts that had time to read.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:08:48 pm »
I see the cell phone-AN 'connection' postulated on a regular basis here.  I have to doubt it - based on the fact that acoustic neuromas have been known to the medical profession for over 100 years, which makes the concept of cellphones being their 'cause' somewhat difficult to accept.  Show me solid, causal evidence and I'll take this premise seriously.  Until then, anyone can say or accept whatever they choose but I'm not at all convinced that ANs are manifested by external influences.  Of course, I accept the possibility that I could be proven wrong some day.  That's O.K., too.  I'm just skeptical of the specific AN-cellphone link. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pswift00

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:11 am »
Well, first off, AN's aren't cancerous, so there's that.  And someone else pointed out that AN's  have been diagnosed for more than 100 years, so there's also that.  Also, speaking anecdotally, I hold my cell phone to my right ear, and my AN was on the left side. Also, I've had a cell phone for only about 6 years now, and the doctors speculate that my AN was probably growing for the better part of a decade, given its size.  But hey, if I can jump on a big fat class-action suit, count me in.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:39 am »
As I have stated before, I had a "HUGE" tumor when I was 25 (almost 13 years ago) and had NEVER even spoken on a cell phone - EVER!!  I'm with Jim - give me some hard and fast evidence and I will consider it.  It is just like EVERYTHING else in life - EVERYTHING can cause something and we would drive ourselves utterly batty and would remained locked in a closet if we worried about it all!!  Let's live life and give it our all!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 05:46:03 pm »
Well I have to say I honestly believe I got my AN by using my cell phone ....I talked on the cell phone on my right side all the time and there were times that I had talked so long that it would get hot to my ear ....I was in a Relationship where we talked on the phone alot because we didn't see each other often ...he was a tour bus driver.I truely believe that is how I got mine.
Im not saying that the cell phone is the only way to get a AN ...but I believe they can cause them.....

Mark

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:24 pm »
Like Jim, I have seen so many posts on a cell phone / AN / cancer link that it almost gets tedious to address them, but here goes  ;)

1) As Pswift noted, the article talks about cancer, not ANs and ANs are not cancerous so they would not be included in this study.
2) It does not specify what types of cancers nor does it indicate how it controlled for family history and other factors in the study. There is a lot of poor science out there and methodology needs to be scrutinized beyond a sensational press headline
3) Epidemiology 101 - you can not promote a theory of a new causal factor unless you can show a statistically significant increase in disease occurrence. In other words, until the number of AN's diagnosed annually shows a notable and sustained increase from what has been documented for decades before cell phones, how can someone now suggest AN's are being created by cell phone exposure ??? Unless someone has new data I haven't seen, ANs are being found on the order of around 3000 per yer in the US which on a population of 300 million ( less those who jumped out the window after looking at their 401K balances today  :o) which is consistent with long term ratios.

Can I say cell phones don't increase the probability of getting an AN, nope, but I can't understand how others jump to that conclusion without demonstrating an increased occurrence level.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

justsimplyrhonda

• http://rhondaclemmons.4t.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:35:39 am »
I feel it caused mine .....I also feel that more people have ANs than recorded ....I dont feel that cell phones is the only thing THAT CAUSES THEM ..BUT this is what I FEEL...and every one has a right to FEEL how they feel.

robynabc

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:49 pm »
I agree with Jim.  The reason is,  these have been around for many years, long before cell phones.  Also,  the nature of AN's is that normal cells grow out of control.  That is why they are not cancerous. It just doesn't make sense to me.  I don't see how those cells could start from a cell phone.  Sometimes things just happen.  Just my humble opinion.

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:45:09 pm »
Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's ok if we have different opinions on the same subject.  :)  No one is pointing fingers at anyone or trying to convince anyone else that their opinion is the right one - just stating what they believe. That's the great thing about this group...everyone has different experiences and shares them with the group and from that you are left to make your own decision / opinion.  ;D

That being said, I tend to go with Jim and the others on this. When i was first diagnosed the first question my mom asked me was "do you think it's from your cell phone?" (I talked with my left ear and had a left AN), and the first thing my surgeon said to me is that it was not caused by cell phones.

JMHO

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

TP

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
I find it so amusing that unless their is scientific evidence many folks won't accept that "stuff" could possibly be harmful. I am not one of those who worries about things or complains BUT for years I use to think that all these radio towers, satellite dishes, micro waves, "stuff" in the atmosphere may possibly cause some problems.

I started using a cell phone in the 90's but only when needed. However, I did use a telephone head set from a lan line since the late 70's and had it up against my left ear for hours every day. What really concerns me is that young kids are using cell phones at such an early age and we have no idea what affect this may have on them down the road.

Smoking we know causes cancer. However, my husband's mom never smoked, never drank and got cancer in every organ and finally died of lung cancer in her 50's. My dad smoked for over 60+ years (2 packs daily) and quit recently. His lung xray showed his lungs are healthy (thank you God). But let's face it .....GO FIGURE.

I had my MRI the other day. The good news the little piece of tumor that is left has not grown any. I asked my Dr about cell phones. He said there is nothing scientific and not to worry. I told him I really don't worry about it but....I only have one ear left and I don't want to take that risk.....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:07:45 pm »
I had my MRI the other day. The good news the little piece of tumor that is left has not grown any. I asked my Dr about cell phones. He said there is nothing scientific and not to worry. I told him I really don't worry about it but....I only have one ear left and I don't want to take that risk.....

Good point. I have to admit that although I will get my hearing back in my left ear (when this fluid FINALLY all goes away) I do think about that everytime I talk on my cell phone. I am able to use my bluetooth for my work cell phone, but it doesn't work well with my personal cell. Thankfully I am eligible to get a new phone and will make sure that the new one works well with a blue tooth. I figure -- it can't hurt.  :-\
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »
I find it so amusing that unless their is scientific evidence many folks won't accept that "stuff" could possibly be harmful. I am not one of those who worries about things or complains BUT for years I use to think that all these radio towers, satellite dishes, micro waves, "stuff" in the atmosphere may possibly cause some problems.

TP:

There are usually negative ramifications when we use 'feelings' to make decisions that have no scientific basis in fact.  The ramifications and too often, unintended consequences become much worse when politicians are passing laws, say, to outlaw cell phones because they allegedly 'cause' cancer, acoustic neuromas, whatever and have no scientific evidence to support such a position. 

To be realistic, life is a risk and almost anything we do, from driving the commute to work at 70 miles per hour, to what we eat and so on offer some degree of risk.   Like you, I don't worry much about this and basically accept the risks, as we all do.

I started using a cell phone in the 90's but only when needed. However, I did use a telephone head set from a LAN line since the late 70's and had it up against my left ear for hours every day. What really concerns me is that young kids are using cell phones at such an early age and we have no idea what affect this may have on them down the road.

We have no idea of how the youthful pastime of incessantly playing video games will affect kids in the future.  I'm sure that adults living in 1930 probably worried about the effect of broadcast radio waves coming into their homes every day, often for hours at a time.  Science proved there was no risk.  That happens a lot.

Smoking we know causes cancer.  However, my husband's mom never smoked, never drank and got cancer in every organ and finally died of lung cancer in her 50's. My dad smoked for over 60+ years (2 packs daily) and quit recently. His lung Xray showed his lungs are healthy (thank you God). But let's face it .....GO FIGURE.

Anomalies occur in the medical field and non-smokers developing lung cancer is not unknown.  Dana Reeve, widow of the late Christopher Reeve (of  'Superman' fame) died of lung cancer at age 44 (in 2006).  She had never smoked.  Lifelong smokers, like your father, do not automatically develop lung cancer.  If they did, cigarettes would probably, finally, be made illegal.  One hopes.  The 'second hand smoke' theory remains clouded by dishonest 'studies' from the EPA (that draw conclusions, then do the 'study')  and is   basically an unsubstantiated assertion based on 'feelings' i.e. 'if smoking is bad for you breathing 'secondhand smoke' must be bad, too'.  Maybe, but passing anti-smoking laws based on feelings and politicians riding a wave of anti-smoking sentiment, is not a good idea.  What next?  Don't answer that.

I had my MRI the other day. The good news the little piece of tumor that is left has not grown any. I asked my Dr about cell phones. He said there is nothing scientific and not to worry. I told him I really don't worry about it but....I only have one ear left and I don't want to take that risk.

Then throw away your cell phone and move to an area that has no power lines, satellite dishes, microwave towers and whatever concerns you.  Of course, I'm not serious.  Just making the point that without scientific evidence, there is no basis for blaming cell phones for ANs.  No more than blaming anything for a medical condition that may have no actual relation to the problem.  Fortunately, we're still a relatively free nation and we can individually do whatever we think is prudent to protect our health.  I simply prefer to make some decisions - such as using a cell phone (I don't own one but my wife does) -  based on scientific evidence, not amorphous feelings.  But that's just me.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TP

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »
Well Jim, now I know why I stopped visiting this website the last several months. One has an opinion and someone else wants to be pick it apart.

Waypoint, back to your initial question, there has been some studies that say "men" should not put cell phones in their front pocket because it may do some harm....I am not going to keep my cell phone attached to my head!  I love having my cell phone I just don't use it up next to my ear, I use the speaker phone as much as I can  ;D