Author Topic: Finally have my date - now comes the hard part, waiting  (Read 2730 times)

wendysig

Finally have my date - now comes the hard part, waiting
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:40:53 pm »
Hi all!
I put my tentative surgery date on the calendar yesterday and now it apperas to be final.  My surgery is scheduled for Friday, July 25.  Now that I know for sure, waiting will be the hard part.  Thankfully, I will be pretty busy for the next month between my daughter graduating from middle school, the end of school, my younger daughter's birthday and our upcoming vacation (the first two weeks or so of July) and of course getting the house in order and getting whatever I want to bring to the hospital together.  This whole endeavor sounds like a whirlwind to me.  I hope I can get everything done.  July 25 sounds very, very close and yet far off at the same itme.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LADavid

Re: Finally have my date - now comes the hard part, waiting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:24 pm »
Hi Wendy
Time flies when your dealing with insurance and pre-op physicals and doctors visits and household preparation and hospital stuff and what to take and on and on....

Just know that on July 25 we all will be with you.  If we posties can help you along the way, let us know.

Best wishes

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »
Wendy~
Make sure & take some time for YOU!!  You deserve it!!  Try not to think about things too much - easier said than done, I know!  ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

er

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:04:15 pm »
You are going to have your mind preoccupied  with all the things you have planned, that will help a lot.
Kaybo & David or right. Do make sure you also find time for yourself.
Good luck on  July 25 our prayers will be with you.
eve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:33:28 pm »
Wendy -

glad to see you have a date.  Waiting can cause anxiety, but preparing your family for your absence will help pass the time.  Vacation should also help keep your mind off things.  The 25th will be here before you know it and a short time after that you'll be back on the forum as a postie!

It goes without saying that we're all here for you, but I'll say it anyway  ;)

Stay strong, you'll get through this.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:24:05 am »
Hi David, K, Eve and Jan -
Thanks for your good wishes and advice.  I know you're all right.  So much is going on right now it will keep me busy.  I plan to do my best to put everything but having fun out of my mind during our vacation, if possible.  Now that I have my date I'm relieved and kind of scared at the same time, but I know I will be in good hands, so that is something I am thankful for.  Of course, I am thankful for all of you too.  This forum saves my sanity.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cmp

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:57 am »
Wendy--

I'm glad you have a date! Even though the waiting can be very hard, it also gives you time to prepare and organize so you really feel "ready". And it sounds like you have some happy occasions to share with your family between now and then, which should help a lot.

Kay's advice is great--make sure you take time for yourself! For me, taking walks in the evening and making a little extra time to read a good book every day has done wonders for my frame of mind. (Also, lots of exercise to work off the nervous energy!)

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:27 am »
Wendy:

I'm pleased to learn that you have a firm surgery date.  That, alone, probably relieves some stress.  You have about a month to wait and from your post it appears you'll be filling it with positive activity, which is great.  The time will pass quickly and July 25th will be here 'before you know it'.  Of course you'll have moments of anxiousness and doubt along the way but you also know that the surgery is necessary and that you'll ultimately be better for having it.

I'll be thinking of and praying for you as your surgery date approaches, Wendy, along with many other folks.  For now, at least try to relax, knowing you've made an important decision and are moving forward.  We stand ready to continue supporting you in every way possible and of course, we all wish you a successful surgery, no complications and a rapid and total recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:22 am »
Wendy-

I am SO thrilled that you have a date!!  I now that the next month will be filled with lots of activities - and moments of stress.  Be kind to yourself.  We'll have a good lunch on the 19th and get ready to send you off to the OR in style!  I am sending lots of good thoughts your way, along with lots of hugs.  Call anytime you want to talk, okay?

Debbi - sending lots of good ju-ju your way~
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:54:14 pm »
Wendy -

Don't worry - all the important stuff will get done.  It always seems to somehow.  I'm glad you are able to get a vacation in there beforehand too.  That should keep your mind occupied.

Glad we can be here to help - but did you really mean we help you MAINTAIN your sanity?  Or did you mean we've CAUSED your insanity?   :D  Well, whatever works, I guess! 

You'll do great!  Now go enjoy yourself!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »
Wendy -

Good luck July 25th!  I'm hoping the best for you!  We'll be here, all waiting with baited breath!  We may be popinjay's at times, but the levity helps too!  (How's that, Jim!?!?)   Don't sweat the small things.  Things will get done one way or another..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:38:30 pm »
Hi Debbi, Lori, Carrie, Jim and Pooter,
Thanks for your replies.  You're right finally having a definite date does help with the anxiety.  I finally met my neurosurgeon yesterday and really liked him.  I count myself lucky that I have such excellent and caring doctors.  Knowing that makes me feel even better about my chocie because I know I will literally be in good hands.  Thank you for your good wishes.  You and all the other people here are really the best.  Having all of you to talk to and complain to and expess whatever sadness or fears I have has made this whole experience a lot easier.  All the zaniness probably helps at least as much. 

Thanks,

Wendy

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:24:39 pm »
Wendy -

glad you like your neurosurgeon - I really like mine too.  I can so relate to your feeling that you have excellent and caring doctors.  I too felt like I was in good hands and it made me very calm the morning of my surgery.  I just knew "my guys" were going to do their best for me - and they didn't disappoint.  I'm certain that "your guys" will do a great job for you too  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways