Author Topic: Just had MRI - How to read film?  (Read 2744 times)

weberboy

Just had MRI - How to read film?
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:29:24 am »
I just got my MRI this morning.  I have the film in hand but nothing obvious is jumping out at me (a good sign I guess).  I don't see my doc until Tuesday.  Any suggestions on what to look for?  Are there any codes or info printed on the films to give a clue as to what they saw?  I looked at a bunch of AN positive MRIs online and have a general idea on what to look for but I can't tell (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

lori67

Re: Just had MRI - How to read film?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:56:30 am »
I was just looking at mine (my 5 year old enjoys looking at the boo-boo in Mommy's brain - future surgeon maybe??).  Not much shows up as abnormal on the regular scan, but there should be something on there to indicate the use of contrast.  Mine said "Post gal" on the top.  And that one you can clearly see the glowing golf ball that looks very out of place.

Other than that, it pretty much looks like an ink-blot test to me.  Let's hope for no glowing golf balls on yours!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:42:56 am »
I dont think there are any "codes" in the MRI ..(there might be a scale showing centimeters) remember the MRI is used for a great many things.... and the report from the lab will be sent to your Doctor....

if it was done with contrast... it will be hard to miss (unless its really tiny) ..(white mass)  the cue-ball was hard to miss in mine...  :(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
Mine looked like a glowing white cashew nut.  I didn't have the films.  The neurosureon had them on a computer monitor.  It looked small but I don't think the skull image was 100%. 
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:56:57 pm »
Amateur MRI reading:
  compare left side to right side, look for something that shows up only on one side.
  compare with and without contrast, look for something that lights up like a light bulb with contrast.
  compare front view, side view, overhead view, look for something that shows up consistently.
  wait for the radiologists report anyway.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

weberboy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 11:51:11 am »
I just got back from my ENT.  It's not an AN. ;D  Now he wants me to get blood tests.  :( Todays hearing test showed no change (from two months ago).  All good news, but now I'm wondering - If not an AN, then what is going on?

Once I get anymore info I'll post it here.  Hopefully it will help someone out.  I know that was one thing I can't find much info on - If not AN, then what?

Thanks for the MRI responses.

Good luck to all of you.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:41 pm »
Great news for you - I'm glad!  Let's hope they can get to the bottom of your symptoms and fix you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:53:41 pm »
Once I get anymore info I'll post it here.  Hopefully it will help someone out.  I know that was one thing I can't find much info on - If not AN, then what?

Please do, I agree, there is not enough information on the "what else" question.

And good news that you don't have an AN after all.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:34:34 pm »
Excellent news!  :D
Please DO post your finding, I have met a few people that asked me about my symptoms and then FREAKED that they might have an AN.  No matter how I try to reassure them that the condition is exceptional, they freak out.  I guess everyone wants to be exceptional in some way?  LOL