Author Topic: Waypoint finallly reporting back at home and in the world of the living  (Read 2733 times)

waypoint

Well, my surgery was Monday, October 1st here at Memorial Hermann in the Houston downtown medical center. Thanks to everyone the sent me personal messages and words of encouragement. I finally have found the strenght and semi focused vision to provide an update.

Let me just say the Sunday before, it all really became really. I even contemplated running away from all this and jus not doing it. Yeah, right. where was I going to run to. I knew I had to face my problem head on. I  showed up at the hospital prompltly at 5:30am and was wisked away. I think I passed out around 6:10am. I can't tell you when the surgery actually started but was told it lasted about 7-8 hrs. I had a trememdous support group of family, friends, and co workers. My wife never left the hospital. She was my advocate. I think the biggest thing I have learned from this experience is an advocate is most important person during this time. You surely can't speak for yourself.  I had the Retrosigmoid approach. The suregeons tried to preserve the hearing, we will know for sure in a couple of weeks, but I really don't hold much hope. Lets see, I don't remember anything immediately folowing surgery. the Doctors told my wife that the surgery was succcessful and they were able to save the facial nerves but there was alot of bruising. As such, I do have facial paralysis, by docs said that It should return over time slowly over the next few months. Until then, no being able to blink is very discomforting. I have already had two encounters with an abrasive kleenix. Not good.  The Doctors urged my wife you try to get me to respond. I think it was 6six hours later before I actually responded. At times, in the neuro ICU I vaguely remembrer images of scenes out of City of Angels.  All these angel like figures perched around a body in the next pod. Apparently, there was a last rites taking place from a car wreck the same night.  Yes, I was scarced, by too drugged to really do anything about it. When I finally recognized my wife, I said I needed new nurses in ICU none of them listen or care, I remember saying I've been hear 5 days and nobody check up on me. My wife say you haven't been here one night. That was when I realized the drugs were still in play. But there is some true to the insensitivity of ICU nurses. I don't think they really care. It was like gand central station in ICU, the nurses were more concerned about when their next day off is, who's coming on shift to releave them, or what they had for dinner. I spent two days in ICU and that was more than I could handle. They eventually moved me to a private room and spent the next 4 night there. Other than the PT guys and a battalion of doctors showing up every morning, the private room felt more like a closet, but it was a room.  I remember being wisked out in the middle of the nght to get a CAT scan and to get an MRI scan. Both, showed no more tumor. For the first couple of days, I wasn't able to hold down anything. Jello, finally became my friend. On the first day in the private room , the PT doctors wanted me up out of bed and begin starting to walk.  They propped me up, I immediately began to through up due to the double vision. Sufficed to say, the next day was alittle better, I told them I was more concerned bouat CSF leakage than immediately walking.  They gave me a short term goal and said that I had to pass it, or they would recommend moving me to another floor for 10 more days of PT.  I said, what do I gotta do to prove to you that my I can walk given a little time and rest. They gave me a walker and said I had to make 50ft to the nurses desk and back. Then it was down the hall around the corner up some steps and back.  Then finally go the message that I would be ok in time.

On Saturday, the hospitall realised me. I spent the next three days in bed resting.  I one point the drugs froim the surgery, finally wore off. I could just tell, don't know how, just could. Still taking the other standard fair of drugs, but now insomia has kicked in. I can't sleep at nights with getting muscle cramps.  i'm trying to stay awake during the days to help with the sleep at night.
I'll be happy to see the doctor on Friday to have the staples removed. They are starting to bother me.  All this time and I didn't say it. My team of doctores Dr. Alp and Dr. Chang were a God send. I can't speak more highly of Dr. Alps, neurosurgeon, professionalism, bedside manners, and experience.  I thanks them for getting me throught this rough patch. I cannot say the same for all the nurses.  Some  were great, others should look to a new profession.

So recovery is slow, but I am recoverying. Thanks again to everyone that has email me with well wishes.
Here is the run down:
2.2 CM Left side AN  apparently had grown 20 25% since discovery and surgery. It was pressing against the brain stem.
Retrosigmoid to removed.
Mostly likely lost hearing on left side
facial nerve was saved but suffer from temporary facial paralysis for some months.
Balance alittle wobbly but that should return too they said.
using a walker right now to get around. Should be on a cane by next week. and nothing after that

OH. I tell everybody, being deaf is not silent. I hear tons of noise. but no sound.

2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

satman

Re: Waypoint finallly reporting back at home and in the world of the living
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:27:32 pm »
CONGRATS !
there truly is no place like home.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

oHIo

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:28:08 pm »
Welcome home!  Sorry to hear your experience with nurses.  I have always said the nursing staff can make or break your hospital stay.  This day and age, it is extremely important to have someone with you as an advocate at the hospital.  I am a nurse, but I ALWAYS have someone stay with me. 

Best wishes and a smooth road to recovery.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:47:47 pm »
Welcome to the world of Posties!  Glad to see your sense of humor is intact and you have a positive outlook.  Both very important.  Remember to take it easy and not try to do too much too soon.  Your wife sounds like quite a trooper!  I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm sure each day will find you getting stronger and your wife wishing you'd get back to work!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Clifton

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:42 pm »
Wow brother, reading your update was like hearing myself talk.

I went through the exact same things, from insensitive nurses to insomnia.
There were 2 or 3 nights after i returned home from the hospital where i didn't sleep one second the whole night. Thanks to the medications i somehow was able to make up for it during the day.

But i am now almost to my one month anniversary and i am feeling almost like how i was before.
You really hit it on the head when you said, being deaf is not silent...i too still hear tons of racket in my right ear but its not actual sound...mainly just ringing. its calmed down ALOT since the beginning but i wish it would go away completely.

My eyes have been watering alot...when i lay down and such. i think because my eye dries out that my body is overcompensating by producing more tears in that eye.

May i offer a word of advice, when and if (if you haven't already) feel like you can go out with your family to eat, or shop or somthing....Don't go to the MALL. I made that mistake and it became a very irritable pain in the ass. Everything from the noise, to the crowds, to not being able to hear the people on my right side...its just annoying. I dont recommend it.

I haven't gone to a movie yet...that will be interesting.
Keep up the good work my friend.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 08:07:40 am »
Congratulations upon a successful surgery, success meaning you're still here.  Dealing with what you are left with, balance issues, facial nerve, brain fatigue, etc. will be your mantra (not easy).

Know that all of us here share some of the same issues.  May I recommend you look into Vestibular Rehab Therapy.  A very specific type of rehab to speed up the recovery of your balance problem and one that works!  The therapist should be trained in this specific type of therapy where you are put through all sorts of head movements, walking on an incline, soft surfaces, and the such so the good vestibular nerve learns to compensate for it's partner that is missing.  This therapy works, but is not without some pain (mostly headaches from all the head specific head movements) and effort on your part.  Retraining the brain to compensate is the goal and works.  You will feel better when you can "tic" off your list of post surgery issues as one can feel 'down' with what they cannot do well. 

The brain fatigue issue is only one of time, lots of patience from you, not overdoing it (unless you're practicing your vestibular exercises) and REST! 

As for the facial nerve, well I know others can offer better advise here as mine was only slightly compromised and those issues healed quite well (only slight drooling at times). 

I wish you speedy healing.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:11:03 am »
Hi, waypoint:

Allow me to echo the chorus of congratulations on your successful surgery.

I too, disliked the ICU but I didn't find it oppressive, just noisy and somewhat intrusive in some ways, but I survived it, as you did.  The nurses I had weren't all ideal but most were pleasant and competent.  That was about all I expected or needed.  My wife was with me all the time (almost) and was my staunch advocate, so I never felt slighted or left alone.  I got what I needed.  Still, I was very glad to leave the ICU and the hospital environment.  My coming home (5 days after surgery) was a very big deal for me and my family.

I'm glad you're out of the hospital now, and recovering.  The recuperation process always seems too slow but you will get better as time goes on.  A cliché, I know, but one based on reality, all the same.  Keep that in mind as an encouragement for yourself. 

It's always good to know that this website, forum and the folks who are active on it were of help to you.  Thats the goal.

Take care and keep us updated as things progress for you.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:45:03 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:54:36 am »
Hi Waypoint:   ***REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR EYE LUBRICATED TO PROTECT YOUR CORNEA !!!!  Use eye drops or lubricant, whatever works for you.     I too had the "Nursing staff from hell" & I'm a nurse at the hospital where I had my surgery, go figure.
Remeber to listen to your body & rest as often as you need too.    Wishing you continued healing,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 04:13:29 pm »
How are you doing now Waypoint? Hope you're taking it slow. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!