Author Topic: Had the surgery 4 days ago!  (Read 2146 times)

spgreenfield

Had the surgery 4 days ago!
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »
I had what was called a cystic tumor and it took less than HALF the time to come out! So I was only on the table from first cut at 8:30 am to noon.....

My balance is much better but I'm pretty loopy.  Ended up having a post occipital to attempt to spare hearing- which the surgeons said they were getting signals from all the way to closing, but when finally closed no signal.  I can taste on the left side of my mouth but have muscle weakness there which I understand can be common.  Surgery was with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic and I was quite pleased.  I was treated well and had little nausea.  Time will tell - I was discharged on day 2 and did well.  Yesterday we went shopping and i think I overdid it a bit.....but took today off a bit and other than being loopy I'm pretty good.  Thanks for all the good wishes throughout.  They went in planning on only a partial removal because of its size but it came off so well they actually got it all- or at least what they could see on the mri....   I did take a supplement the last couple weeks that might have helped....but prayers were being sent from all over too....

Hubby got photos and on my post op I'll ask about size....but with all the hoopla I forgot to ask if it had grown much.

thanks again all!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Had the surgery 4 days ago!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »
Pam ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and what seems to be a fantastic recovery!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:06:20 pm »
Great news Pam. Very happy you are on the road to recovery. FABULOUS
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

opp2

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »
Yay!!! Welcome to the other side.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.