Author Topic: Bones  (Read 2971 times)

Palace

• Palace
Bones
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:47:40 pm »
Hi

I went to the doctor yesterday for my consultation about my bone density test.  (test done before my shoulder surgery, one month ago)  We went over the results and I have small bones I know but, the test showed very strong.

The doctor mentioned 2-3 oz. of alcohol a day is good medically speaking but, not more.  He told me to do one thousand mg of calcium a day, with vit D.  He mentioned about smoking not being good for health.  I don't smoke and my bones look fine.  True, the test doesn't tell all, just a part of the bone big picture.  Genetics of course, play a roll.

I've fallen a few times in the past six months and my bones took the fall.  If balance plays an issue for me with the AN, I want to have extra strong bones.  I fell when the power went out here at home, in the dark.  I fell over a dog toy.  I fell a couple of weeks ago over a big stepping stone in the garden.  (right on the two week old surgical shoulder)  I flew up in the air about six months ago, on the driveway and I thought it was oil on the drive.  (maybe AN related)

Anyway, does anyone know anymore about bone strength?

Hugs to all,

Palace
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:57:14 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: Bones
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:51:25 pm »
 ::)

Mother's told us to drink lots of milk as youngsters.  So, we hope that paid-off in the end or near the end, in my case.  It should have some effect on us that we started out with strong bones while growing, right?

Pal
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:59:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

Your diet is probably low in this mineral if you don't consume at least 2 cups of milk a day or its calcium equivalent.  The calcium equivalent of one cup of milk is 1 cup of yogurt, One and one-half ounces of cheese or 2 cups of cottage cheese.  Many experts who study bone losses believe the RDA of 800 milligrams (mg) for an adult is inadequate, especially for women.  They encourage 1,000 mg of calcium until later in life and then 1,200 to 1,500 mg.  (mid-life)

Another detriment to calcium absorption is excess dietary phosphorous.  This could be a problem if instead of milk, you drink large amounts of pop, especially colas, since many contain phosphoric acid.

Anyway, I'm going to try my intake with plain ordinary TUMS!

Palace
single sided deafness

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 06:04:03 pm »
palace I use the chewable calicum viactiv they come in yummy flavors and are like eating candy :o)  I take two which I believe (without getting up to look) is 1,000mg a day.  they supposedly get absorbed better as you chew them vs swallowing a pill.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:31:17 pm »
For those who are seriously concerned about their bone density levels, there is always Fosamax®.  However, this medication, while effective, is not recommended for those who've undergone radiation treatments, so I don't use it, although my PCP recommended it, following a bone density test last year that indicated some minor bone loss (12%) in my rib cage.  I do take 600 mg calcium tablets w/vitamin D, daily and feel confident I'm doing the best I can.  I'm fairly agile and have not fallen since my surgery so I have few concerns about doing so now, 9 months post-op.  Others may have different concerns based on their balance capabilities. If so, there are plenty of ways to increase your calcium intake.  From drinking lots of milk to taking supplements, such as calcium tablets or even Fosamax®.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.