Author Topic: pre surgery  (Read 6954 times)

kss4luck

• 2.1 cm removed translab 5/4/07 Dr Jung/Clark RCH
pre surgery
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:50:25 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to the board, I have an AN it's 2.1 cm.  I've seen the ENT and the ear surgeon. The next step is the neurosurgeon on Tuesday. I've been reading the posts to see what to expect. I'm glad to find this site and would like to have any help or insight on what to expect. Some people say I'll be in the hospital 2 days my surgeon said 7-10. how long off work seems to be up in the air too from 1 week to 3 months. 

Derek

Re: pre surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:02:26 am »
Hi there...

Sorry about your diagnosis but welcome to our unique club.

You appear to have already decided to opt for invasive surgery and as your AN is 2.1 cm I just wondered if you had considered the other options of 'wait and watch' and stereotactic radiosurgery?

Please be sure to undertake thorough research before making your final treatment choice. It is essential to find a medical team who have a proven track record in specifically dealing with acoustic neuromas.

Whatever your final decision make sure that it is YOUR choice and best wishes for an ultimate successful outcome.

Best Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:24:33 am by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:07:06 pm »
If you have surgery you will probably be in the hospital around 4-5 days, unless you have complications.  Your tumor is not large and you will be fine.  We are happy to have your visits here.  Keep us updated.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »
I too wish you the best of luck with your treatment and recovery.  I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you've found the right place for information, encouragement and support. 

Be sure your team is very experienced and that you are comfortable with the information they are telling you.  This is, afterall, microsurgery on your head!  That's about as big a deal as you can get, I think.  That and heart surgery. 

Take care,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:35:18 pm »
I extend the same "well wishes" as my fellow AN'ers.  You will find great info on this site, warm and caring people to share your experience with and lots of support.  Glad you wrote and look forward to hearing from you again.  Karen
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Obita

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:01:20 pm »
Hi kss4luck:

Welcome.......I am almost 3 years post op and doing just fine. 

Good luck to you!! 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

kss4luck

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:13:53 pm »
Thanks so much for the morale support. God bless you all and thanks for your help.

kss4luck

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:11:15 pm »
Hi Everyone, I met with the Neurologist today and he wasnt nearly as sweet. smiled the whole time but told me all the terrible stuff that can happen. paralysis stroke bleeding out yuck yuck yuck . I like my ear surgeon better, he seemed to like my questions. this surgeon did say they have a 17% of no facial paralysis. thats better than the 47% I found online.

TP

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:50:43 pm »
I just joined tonight and have read over the information, I should have looked this site up months ago. I had my AN tumor surgically removed early June 2006. I was in for 5 days and then back in for two additional surgeries to repair a cerebrospinal fluid leak as well as a gold weight placed in my eye. I was out of work for 9 weeks and experienced total hearing loss and paralysis on the side of my face where the tumor was removed. I was not expecting the additional surgeries and complications (meningitis) but I kept a positive attitude and had lots of people praying for me. I was back to work at 9 weeks and back to my martial arts training. I experienced balance loss but that did not stop me from testing on my next rank in taekwondo by October and passing. I am still recovering (facial paralysis and double vision) but I am so blessed that I am healthy and staying strong. I have another MRI scheduled later this month to see how things are going. Stay positive and listen to your doctors. My prayers are with you!   
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

kss4luck

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 12:22:10 pm »
Wow TP my prayers are with you too. I'm so proud you went on with exercise and didnt let this slow you down. keep on kicking!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:02:13 pm »
TP:

Welcome and congratulations on your recovery and great attitude.  I like your style.  'Don't be a stranger'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Louzilla

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but it's not the end of the world.  My hospital stay was 5 days. 1 in ICU and 4 in a regular room. I was back to work in 3 weeks, and driving in 4. My balance came back pretty much 100% except when I'm in the dark.  Vision is the primary sense that takes over when the inner ear balance system is compromised.  I'm a skier and cyclist and back to doing those with no problems.  Go to a surgeon that has done a ton of these to give yourself the best odds of a fast recovery.  Good Luck.   
Middle Fossa - 4mm x 8mm A.N. left side.
Dr. Jackler - Stanford Med. Center 12/06/06

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 05:55:02 pm »
Hi TP WOW great attitude...keep on kicking!!
Do you do any tai chi?  I know it's suppose to help w/ balance.

TP

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »
Mainly taekwondo but we do several other martial arts training. I have been in it for 10 years and I believe the training is what help me recover as quickly as I did.  I don't spare anymore, i think I will give my head a few more years to heal before I start getting kicked again. I just wish my face and eye (double vision) were better but can't control that, it appears several folks are in the same boat. I wish I had found this website before now. I am very inpatient and thought my face and eye would be better by now but it looks like I have a ways to go. Thank you for your note! 

4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:41:40 pm »
TP, you sound similar to me.  I'm back in pretty good shape except for my facial paralysis and numbness.  I'm 18 months post-op (as of March 6) and my face has improved, but it is amazingly slow. 

Kiss4luck, good luck to you.  In general it seems the smaller your tumor is the less likely you are to end up with facial paralysis.  It's good to read this forum to get an idea of what happened with other people.  It sort of gives you some ideas as far as your own treatment and recovery may go.  I think it's good that your doctor is telling you about what "may" happen.  How many AN surgeries has done?  It's important to get a doctor that has dealt with this a lot.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD