Author Topic: uh-oh  (Read 3166 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
uh-oh
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:32 am »
Well, I decided I couldn't wait any longer to see if I was going to get some kind of letter after my 3-month MRI and called the MRI center for a copy of my report.  Good news is it says that there is no evidence of residual acoustic neuroma.  Question is what does mild meningeal enhancement is seen along the right petrous pyramid compatible with mild meningeal hyperemia with enhancement mean?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

MissMolly

Re: uh-oh
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:46 pm »
 ??? Hmmmmmmm.  I know that there is a difference between normal and abnormal meningeal enhancement.  The question might be, what is yours?  Let us know.

Molly 

P.S.  How is the facial paralysis going?   Better?
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
Well, I decided I couldn't wait any longer to see if I was going to get some kind of letter after my 3-month MRI and called the MRI center for a copy of my report.  Good news is it says that there is no evidence of residual acoustic neuroma.  Question is what does mild meningeal enhancement is seen along the right petrous pyramid compatible with mild meningeal hyperemia with enhancement mean?

Nancy ~

Congratulations on a 'clean' (no tumor) MRI scan!  :)

I doubt this is anything to be concerned about or you would have heard from your doctor by now.  My neurosurgeon often sees things mentioned on my MRI report that are gibberish to me.  When I question it, he always double-checks the image, then tells me what it is and why the doctor who wrote the report mentioned it.  He then assures me that it's nothing to worry about.  I trust him and take him at his word.  I suggest you ask your doctor about this when you next see and/or talk to him.  I'm sure he'll put your mind at ease.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:22:57 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  I'm sure you're right.  Mom just stopped by and said it just means the meninges are healing.  I have a call into the ordering doc (but we are talking about Mili here), and I was asked to call McKenna's call screener back tomorrow as she's in clinic today.  I won't lose sleep.

Thanks for asking, Molly.  My facial weakness seems pretty stable for the last month or two.  I'm at four months on Saturday.  My eye gets irritated if I swim underwater, so it must not be closing tightly.  My cheek and tongue feel fat and a bit numb on the AN side, and I have a bit of trouble with sandwiches and corn on the cob as my mouth won't open well on the right side.  And I still have that silly taste.  How long does that last???
How are you doing today?

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:26:05 pm »
I think that any enhancement seen on the films within 1-2 years is nothing but scar tissue and/or fluid. This should be expected and is normal for just a few months out from surgery. It should dissolve almost completely as time passes like mine did.

NancyMc

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:00 pm »
Thanks, Fan.
Maybe they should provide a layperson's translation with the report.
No worries then,
Nancy

MissMolly

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 07:41:28 am »
Hi Nancy,

I still have that funny taste as well.  Still can't open my mouth all the way yet either, making corn onthe cob and apple eating a challenge.  I did go and see Dr. Hadlock (Dr. Martuza's referral) at MEEI.  The Pt there  worked with me on some myo facia release techniques that have brought almost all movement back to my face.  Worked very well, I think. 

Hope you are well.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

NancyMc

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 08:52:01 am »
OH!   :o  I didn't get those.   >:(  Oh, well.

moe

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:30:13 am »
Nancy,
Thanks for the update! you're right...... HUH????? Totally gibberish :P on your MRI  but yea there is no residual tumor!!!!
I'm sure things will only get better. You're doing awesome for 4 months out. That silly metallic taste comes and goes for quite a while (or did for me). After a year or so I didn't get it as much.
weird, isn't it?

The only way I eat an apple or corn on the cob is with that apple slicer or cutting the corn off the cob.I would think it would be good exercise to eat an apple a day the hard way and work those muscles around the mouth. Just some personal PT advice!
Take er easy,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty