Author Topic: Need to Have Metal Removed from Skull..Anyone had this done?  (Read 16710 times)

hall0602

I am 23 years old and I had my acoustic neuroma removed when I was 21. Now two years later I need to have the metal removed from when they had to attach the bone. I am very nerous and not sure how this will affect me before and after the surgery. If anyone knows please let me know!

chelsmom

Re: Need to Have Metal Removed from Skull..Anyone had this done?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:22 pm »
Hello,

I ws just wondering, what metal are you talking about and why are they removing it now?   

Michelle

hall0602

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:35:43 pm »
I am having the plates and screws that were holding the bone (that they removed to get to the tumor) in place removed. They are removing it because I am having horrible pain in the area.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:52:02 am »

I would think the pain wont go away on its own... sorry, they are going to have to at least take a look at it,  possibly see what is causing the pain fix it... or remove the plates altogether...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:21:04 am »
I've often wondered if I need to have this procedure done. My headaches seem to start in the incision area, like maybe those lil suckers are irritating a nerve and causing the headaches.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:09:21 am »
I am having the plates and screws that were holding the bone (that they removed to get to the tumor) in place removed. They are removing it because I am having horrible pain in the area.

Hall-I wish you would post a little more of this experience in the headache area.  Also can you give us a little more info like your tumor size and the sugical approach?
Thanks and Be Well,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

palms0@hotmail.com

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:27:54 am »
hi my husband also has had pain 24-7 from the incision site since the surgery was done which can also turn into a headache that radiates from the incision to the forehead area.
i would like to know more about what they are planning and why
meb
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(

marg

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:44:56 am »
I just got my surgical report yesterday and found out that my doctors had 'secured the bone flap with titanium plates and screws.   I had no idea that they were going to do this..... I wondered why it felt different ( and sounds different) in that section.  Do the doctors put these plates & screws in for all of the surgical procedures - or just the middle fossa approach?  It feels very strange to have  metal plates in my head......  another thing I didn't know about that I now have to get used to.   I am starting another list of questions for my neurosurgeon when I see him. 
     I have had a  few bad headaches but they mainly seem to be the same kind I had before surgery (they radiate from my neck - an accident I was in 30 years ago ). On a daily basis I take between 2 to 6 extra strength tylenol  for the aches and some head pain ( I am thinking I should have bought stock in the company).  This helps a lot.  I hope I can quit taking all this soon. 

I would really like to know more about what you do Hall.  Please  let us know what you find out.
Margaret

Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

juliotamu

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:29:39 am »
I had three plates and screws removed 9 months ago (10-16-06) by a plastic surgery team aided by the resident neurosurgeon. This was because the wound from the acoustic neuroma removal in March 2005 never healed. I didn't even know I had plates and screws in my head until a screw fell out in May 2006. They also removed some Acrylic plastic bone material from the March 2005 surgery prior to sealing it back up which they said would cause an infection half the time in the few months after the October 2006 surgery. I'm not sure what they installed instead but it is healed up and covered with hair now. Its still somewhat sore and has a tingly feel if a comb is run over it but its getting better. No real side effects from the surgery to remove plates. The problems I have came mostly from a blood vessel breaking before the March 2005 surgery (dizziness) and after the March 2005 surgery (increased headaches, falling several times, still dizzy, lack of concentration). I just got Social Security disability after 30 months only due to the lack of concentration since I was highly educated.

Hope this helps.

Juliotamu

kmpayson

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »
I am interested in having my titanium plates removed because I believe the pain I experience on a daily basis for the past 6 in a half years is attributed to them.  My surgeon is not interested in helping me.  Who did you get the plates removed by? 

juliotamu

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:45 am »
Hello

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I was stuck as I had no insurance. The original acoustic neuroma operation was done by Dr Allen Sills of Semmes Murphey in Memphis, TN. The wound was not closed properly as I was walking around for over a year with exposed bone and was unaware of any screws or plates. I went to the ER at Methodist (since Dr Sills was on their staff adjacent to Semmes Murphy. It was decided that plastic surgery was necessary but I sat in the hospital for a few days with no one from the plastic surgery dept. even willing to come to my room because I had no insurance. I was told by a doctor to go the ER at the MED also in Memphis, Tn. I did that, the surgery was scheduled, but before the surgery I was kicked out of the hospital for not having insurance. Next I was enrolled in the MED plastic surgery clinic which I had to visit several times. finally surgery was scheduled and performed. since I was in their clinic I never got to see the actual doctor (can't remember his name) but only visited with various plastic surgery resident doctors. The surgery was done and was apparently sucessfull.

Since then I noticed my tumor has grown (MRI results) by 88% since 2011. I have insurance now but it is a variant of medicaid and the Semmes Murphey clinic who originally operated on me would not take my insurance for a gamma knife. Semmes Murphey told me to call all over the country such as St Louis and Birmingham to try finding someone who would take me. What a joke. Even the new neurologist I was seeing in Tupelo, MS couldn't tell me who would take my insurance.

Finally, I just got on the internet and found the Robert Smith Gamma Knife Center in Jackson, MS. Within a week I saw Dr Stephen Zachow. They had a brand new Leksell gamma knife machine and I had the procedure done. I follow up in a few months with him and get a new MRI. I found Dr Zachow to be very knowledgable and his staff great. From what I heard about the gamma knife I should have tried that first as I was initially given that option. Then I would probably still had some hearing and no facial weakness.

Good luck and email if you have any more questions or find the information useful.