Author Topic: Length between MRIs?  (Read 16802 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Length between MRIs?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:35:37 pm »
I think I know the answer, it depends on the individual and their doctor, right?

My husband and I were having a discussion this morning about whether it's too soon to have another MRI or not.  My first one was the end of October 2011 (MRI with contrast) and I have another one scheduled for October 2012 (MRI with no contrast).  But I made an appt with another doctor for this week and she wants another type of MRI (thin cut) done probably this month or next. 

So the question is, is there any "standard" of how long between MRIs?  Is three months too soon, is a year too long? 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Cheryl R

Re: Length between MRIs?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »
Karen, You are right that it depends on the individual and the dr.       The size and location of the tumor and how fast it seems to be growing.    Plus another biggie is your ins.     The dr may have to give good reason why another is needed so soon, even if it a thin cut one.      Good luck with this and hope it works out for you.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

chloes mema

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »
I know, I thought about the insurance but don't know who or how to find out from Medicare.  Hate dealing with the govt.  It was so easy when I was employed, could just go on-line or call the support line.  Basically, the post was more for my husband's curiosity than mine.  I knew, from reading posts, that it was dependent on all sorts of unforeseen and uncontrollable factors.  Thanks for reminding me of the insurance angle.   :D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »
Karen

It does depend on the doctor.  At first I was having and MRI with contrast every 6 months while I was in watch and wait.  Now that I have had CK it is once a year.  I am not a doctor but I don't think having and MRI without contrast will show them anything.

TJ

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:18 pm »
No standard on time in between - however, in my experience reading posts many have a MRI 6 mnths after diagnosis then switch to a 1 or 2+ year schedule.  I guess it really depends on doctors comfort and insurance.

My first three (or maybe 4) MRIs were done without contrast and was VERY easy to see the tumor.  I now suspect they were thin cut.  My latest was a lot faster and done with contrast.  The first three were probably easier to see the tumor then the quickie with contrast - so again likely a doctors preference.  A lot of argument about contrast - and I think different technology in the MRI is the key re contrast or not!

Good luck - in my case a three year wait would have yielded the same result ... No growth.  A bit of a crap shoot!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

chloes mema

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:17:51 am »
That's what I'm thinking, a bit of a crap shoot.  My doctor that wants the no contrast MRI said now that they know the AN is there they can recognize it without contrast.  And he insisted I go to USF to get the MRI done because he said the equipment there was much better blah, blah, blah. 
I feel like I'm being a traitor going to another doctor so soon but I know I have to do what I have to do.  This new doctor had a good write up in the Moffitt newsletter.  A friend of mine sent me a quick recap of the article.  Although ANs are benign, Moffitt is a cancer center but this doctor was very open to seeing me.   :)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 04:44:06 pm »
Some MRI's on older machines are not capable of the "fine cuts" that can be done today.
If the cut is 2mm and your AN is 6mm the AN could in theory only appear on 2 images.
The middle of the tumor may not have been measured which could easily mean a 1-1.5mm size discrepancy when measured next.
I think the New Doc maybe prescribing a new MRI with a "Fine Cut" because the images she has now may underestimate the size of the tumour. The fine cut takes more slices and therefore the slice/cut is more likely to run through the largest part of the tumour.
If there is real growth in 12 months it will be easier to detect and less likely to be a measuring/imaging anomoly.
The latest machines also do a reasonable job without contrast, if all the doc is looking for is a reasonable sized increase.
Contrast still gives better images and will define the edge of the tumour and give a better idea of tumour consistancy.
Please note I am not a doctor and this is my understanding only of how things work.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

chloes mema

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:51 pm »
Really liked the new doctor I saw this morning.  She basically said what PaulW wrote, that the first MRI in 2008 more than likely missed the tumor but she can't be sure that was the case because in some of the slices there is a "dot".  So she's not sure if my tumor is fast growing and aggressive or that the MRI just missed it.  To make a long story shorter, she has me scheduled in May for a thin cut MRI with contrast which gives me more comfort in knowing that something proactive is being done.  She said if there is a difference in size of 2mm or greater then we have to do something.

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back