Author Topic: Decision Made  (Read 2087 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Decision Made
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:00 pm »
Well, I have made a decision.  I have been using the demo for the BP110 (Power) for about 2 and a half months.  At first, the feedback was awful and I was doing a lot of switching back to the BP 100.  Bottom line, feedback is better and is not awful and the sound clarity and volume (and word discrimination) are SO much better with the BP110 that I have decided to make the move and go with the BP110 instead of my BP100.  My own processor has been ordered now and I will give the demo back and send back my BP100.  Cochlear has made it very clear that they will work with me on any problems that come up.  So far, they have been most responsive and helpful.  So, I hope my new BP110 will have the kinks out and that it will be a seamless transition.  It's worth it to me for the enhanced sound quality and I think we have the feedback under control.  Happy to answer any questions for any of you out there.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Decision Made
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »
Dale -

I'm glad you were finally able to make a decision - and it sounds like a good one.

I'm still happy as a clam with my BP100.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
Thanks Jan.  I'm almost afraid to put this in writing...don't want to jinx it.....BUT, since I have gotten the new processor, and given the demo back, I have had NO FEEDBACK!!!!!  I'm a happy camper!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:13:28 pm »
Dale -

I've rarely had feedback from my BP100 - maybe two or three times in over 19 months of use.

When I saw my doc about a week ago, he was amazed that I can actually reach up and touch my BP100 without any kind of feedback whatsoever.

Feedback is generally related to how well your processor is programmed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:59:17 pm »
Jan,
I agree that programming is important, but my audiologist is meticulous and she has been working with the
Cochlear West Coast guru for Bahas to get me programmed right.  Part of the problem with the BP100 for me was that I never felt I had enough volume/power.  So they pushed the programming to the max, but that causes feedback.  When they took down the low tones, I was right back where I started with straining to hear.  Because the BP110 has more power, it is much better.  In my case, they said that turning off the feedback manager would be a disaster.  Because I had had so much feedback, the feedback manager could not do it's job.  Everyone is different.  When they plugged me in to do the programming of the new BP110, several levels were tried.  I now only have feedback if I touch the processor.  I'm not sure how you can touch yours and not get feedback!  But, I'm happy, and for me I made the right choice.  Even though I moved to LA, I am sticking with UCSD and my audiologist there (San Diego).  If I had a major problem, I'd go to House, but I don't see that happening any time soon.  So, the move to the BP110 was a very good choice for me.  I really can tell the difference with this over the BP100.  Not for everyone, but for me a great choice.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA