Author Topic: Longer BAHA post  (Read 2073 times)

margen

Longer BAHA post
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:49:00 am »
I'm wondering if any BAHA patients have had to have their BAHA post replaced with a longer BAHA post?  The skin near my abutment keeps growing over the post so my surgeon has suggested that I have the shorter post replaced with a longer post.  The longer post is 3mm longer than the original post and the surgeon feels this will alleviate this problem.  If anyone has had a similar experience I'd be interested in hearing how you've made out.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Longer BAHA post
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:02:23 pm »
I still have the abutment I was given at the time of my implant - which I believe is the standard (shorter?) version.

I haven't had a problem with skin growing over it, but I've heard of the rare BAHA user who has had this happen.

From what I've been told, if you wear your device on a regular basis, the skin shouldn't grow over the abutment.  Kind of like the theory that says grass doesn't grow on a busy street.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mzup

Re: Longer BAHA post
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:04:33 am »
I'm wondering if any BAHA patients have had to have their BAHA post replaced with a longer BAHA post?  The skin near my abutment keeps growing over the post so my surgeon has suggested that I have the shorter post replaced with a longer post.  The longer post is 3mm longer than the original post and the surgeon feels this will alleviate this problem.  If anyone has had a similar experience I'd be interested in hearing how you've made out.

I had to have the longer abutment put on. I was getting the skin growth over it. It was done in March and have not had any issues since with it. It of course does stick out farther, and me being a male with short hair it is more noticeable, but that doesn't bother me. It was very quick and not as involved as the first time of course. I could have gone back to work that day if I wanted to.
SSD since birth some 40+ yrs ago. Baha surgery in Oct 09 Received BP100 in Jan 10.