Author Topic: BAHA trial  (Read 2198 times)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
BAHA trial
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »
I got to try out the BAHA today.  Wow!  Talk about dangling the porkchop in front of the dog.  I know I was smiling ear to deaf ear.  I could even hear the audiologist whisper on my deaf side.  :-[ I successfully "failed" the hearing test by 100 % in my deaf ear, and my surgeon has written a kick a-- letter to my insurance company explaining to them why I need the BAHA.  We'll see where it goes from here as my insurance company has already said that they do not cover the BAHA (which they call a hearing aid.)  My surgeon explained otherwise to them in detail.  The audiologist said that the insurance company admitted that they deny all claims for BAHA the first time around.  Didn't John Grisham write a book on that subject - Rainmaker?   
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA trial
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:05 pm »
The audiologist said that the insurance company admitted that they deny all claims for BAHA the first time around. 

I've heard this lots of times myself; and I think someone @ the ANA also told me this.  But the good news is that persistence usually pays off.  So, keep pursuing insurance coverage and, with your doctor's help, hopefully you'll win.

IMO the BAHA is definitely worth it.

Glad you liked the demo  ;D

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
Re: BAHA trial
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »
Thanks, Jan.  Persistence is my strong suit.  I just hope that whatever happens opens doors for others to receive the benefits they deserve.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  We  should be invincible by now!
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)