Author Topic: Cell-Phobia ????  (Read 4626 times)

FlyersFan68

Cell-Phobia ????
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:21:42 pm »
Ever since surgery almost two years ago I have had no desire to own or even use a cell phone whatsoever. I try to avoid them completely despite recent research suggesting there is no "increased risk" between cell phones & acoustic neuromas. I wouldn't be surprised if future research proves otherwise but just wondering if anyone else feels this way??

Boppie

Re: Cell-Phobia ????
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:58:37 pm »
I have cut my use of the cell to emergencies on the road.  My daughter and her husband use cells only.  In other words no Bell phones in their lives.  I worry a lot about talking on the phone with her.  And you know we women can talk for an hour!

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:00:33 pm »
I know I do.  I truly feel that using a cell phone caused this thing.  I had several mri's about the same time I got a cell phone and have always used me left ear (which is an side).  I wish  the mri's were done on my brain and not my neck!  I did read that there was a study involving kids and they had higher than normal rates of radiations from cell phone use.  Hmm....  I hate talking on my cell phone now and avoid it as much as possible

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:44:27 pm »
Since AN's have been around alot longer then cell phones we feel comforable using our cell phones.  I have to say that we were probably one of the last to aqquire one.  I truly believed that we wouldn't use it much and had concerns regarding being connected to work 24/7.    The cell phone has been a blessing.  It adds to the feeling of security.  Chet's cell phone is either on or near him at all times.  Due to the outcomes and other non AN health issues  there are physical issues that he deals with and having the phone on him really adds to his peace of mind.

For those of you on the AN list that do use cell phones please consider adding ICE to your contact list.
ICE  In case of emergency.  Listing the persons that you want contacted.  In an emergency it may help in identifing and receiving treatment sooner.

My funny cell phone story is.  Over time Chet has been reluctant to go to the Doctor, because of this he doesn't always mention problems.  One day I noticed him occasionally patting his upper chest.  He did this every so often and i began to fear the worst.that he had developed heart problems.  He must be having chest pains.  I ask if his chest bothered him, his reply was  "nope, just checking that I have my cell phone" .

Best to all
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Yorkiemom

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:13:25 pm »
I have used cells phones since they first came out.  99.9% of time I use my left ear.  The AN is on my right, so I have a hard time making the connection.

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 06:16:22 pm »
Raydean...the ice thing according to my paramedic/firefighter friends doesn't work in the state of FL.  They are not allowed to look at your cell phone for emergency information because of the hippa laws.  Police men are allowed to look in your wallet only for identification.  makes no sense to me!

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 08:39:33 pm »
I can't make the connection either.  My neuroma was found before I ever put a cell phone to my ear.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 08:44:12 pm »
The jury is out on this one. I used the cell phone a lot and got my AN on the same side. My personal feelings are that there is a connection but through a second or third gene weakness. That is, a multiplier effect when a number of conditions exist at the same time.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 02:08:37 am »
I personally don't think the use of cell phones is the only cause of A.N.'s, A.N.'s have been around a lot longer that cell phones however I do use my cell phone very little....maybe that's why there's an increase in the number of them these days! Along with the chemicals in our foods (sweeteners and such). Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:34:53 am »
I am right handed and have always talked using my right hand and ear.  My AN was on my left side.  I rarely used a cell phone prior to my surgery and have it now basically for emergencies.  Don't use it in the truck. Cell phones are distractions and being deaf in one ear doesn't make for safe driving.

I don't believe cell phones caused my AN.  I believe this is just something that unfortunately happened in my life. I don't think it could have been avoided. 

I agree with Raydean, AN's have been around longer than cell phones, microwaves or any other modern gadget that emits or may emits small amounts of radiation.   

Denise

Mark H

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:57:46 am »
The way I figure, in a year or 2 a new study will come out saying cell phone use actually slows the rate of growth of AN's. Seems like every time a study says something causes something, another one comes out later and says just the opposite.  ;D
Mark

matti

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 01:03:31 pm »
I had my AN surgery in 1998 and did not use a cell phone prior to that.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

SKT

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 06:51:10 am »
who knows - you see so many people walking around with the phone stuck to their ear for hours - bet their brains are squeaky clean.

I'm not convinced they don't assist in brain tumours or otherwise.  There's just so many things it could be. I'm sure we'll find out some day, hopefully in our lifetime, but until then, i say do everything in moderation.

That said, i have become a more frequent user of text messages rather than phone calls. 

Kilroy1976

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 09:00:04 am »
I've never owned a cell phone and, God willing, I never will. Although maybe if a study proved that they cause brain tumors, people would get rid of the unholy things. Probably not... they'd probably just restrict their calls to when they're in movie theaters, restaurants and behind the wheel.
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Static

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 12:22:34 pm »
I did hear of a study that men carrying their cell phones in their front pockets could cause them to be sterile.........but that's a whole other forum   ;)
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right