Author Topic: Can nerve recovery "zaps" be painful?  (Read 3282 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Can nerve recovery "zaps" be painful?
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:09 pm »
I had several zaps last night that hurt like crazy across my eyelid (not eyeball) and under my eye. It only lasted a few seconds but it scared me because I've never had them where they hurt. Is this typical?
Angie

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Can nerve recovery "zaps" be painful?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:08 pm »
Yes, I think so, at least, I've had them.   Very brief but intense.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:49:21 pm »
Angie~
I acrually had some and still do very occasionally and yes, they do hurt for a second but more than anything they startle me!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:47:50 am »
Weird that you say that Angie because I woke up this morning and around my eye and part of the bridge of my nose feels kind of bruised. I am also having a weird pain in my cheek?? :o Those wonderful nerves had better be regenerating if I have to put up with this. Okay okay I will put up with whatever as long as things are moving in the right direction. I bet you will too?
Michelle  ;D
I am going for my facial assessment tomorrow I will let you know what happens.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:51:42 am »
Michelle,
I read your email where you said that you were discouraged because nothing new was going on with your face....well...I have gone months with nothing new until these new painful zaps. So I guess my nerve is reminding me that it's still there and to be patient with it. Yeah...I know what you mean about feeling bruised..I was massaging my face the other day around the forehead area and had to stop it hurt so bad. Felt like I was pressing hard on a bruise. Ouch. What is weird is that with this feeling also came some movement. I was sitting in my car waiting on my son Rivers to get out of school and I could feel my eyebrow jumping up and down. I looked in the mirror and could see it. Looked pretty crazy but hey I'll take it! So maybe you'll see something new soon.
Angie

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:52:35 am »
ooohhh that is so exciting for you. Crazy we are happy about a jumping and twitching eyebrow. I can't wait for things to get going again, it is so exciting. I love that name Rivers.
It is beautiful and sunny here in Ontario. Gotta love the sun...went for a nice walk with my friend and my dog. My nose started running then my eye - yipppeee isn't life grand.  ;D Hope you are all having a great day.
Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:14 pm »
My face has felt bruised ever since surgery, some days more than others, but always some. Mostly my forehead right over the eye socket and along the jawline (all of course on the left side).

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13