Author Topic: Facial droop  (Read 6323 times)

Blags

Facial droop
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:03:58 am »
I am 3 wks post op retro sigmoid and I feel like my mouth is drooping more now than initially after surgery and my eye seems to be blinking slowly which I didn't notice after surgery either. Anyone else have this?
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

LakeErie

Re: Facial droop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »
I did not experience your exact symptoms, but were you on a course of steroids following your surgery? Sometimes when you stop steroids after a week or two, the nerves react because the steroids had been working to reduce cranial nerve inflammation and swelling.
If that is the case, then post-op symptoms can become more pronounced for a while until the nerves recover. In my case, the complications were voice and throat related, and worsened after ending a course of steroids that started in the hospital and continued after discharge. This has happened in other cases as well that I have read about on other sites.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Blags

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:06:05 pm »
I was on steroids for two weeks, I have been off them for 11 days. Perhaps that is it. I put in a call to dr bc now my face is numb and I notice that my eye is very slow to blink vs good eye and I can feel it pulling in corner when I do blink. I am hoping this is all normal progression.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

millie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »
This is very helpful to me.  I am nine days out of translab.  My last steroid pill was WEdnesday.  My face is still drooping and today I thought it might be a bit stiffer-maybe that is why.  I see the doctor Monday to have the stitches removed from behind the left ear-he will tell me then.  I will post under my site under post op translab Millie October 17th, okay guys?
When I awakenin the a.m.  my  left eye A.n. was on left side) seems to work a bit better.  I can close it better today than two days ago; I am using lots of drops and a cream at night.  I have to remember to force blink it extra but my eyebrow is not raising yet.

Blags

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »
Dr put me back on steroids till Monday- after 2dose numbness is better. Also no headache today so I probably still have swelling.

debraclark

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »
Blags I am 4 weeks post op retro sigmoid too. I also have the facil droop which got worse after I completed my steriods. When I went back to surgeon to get staples taken out they put me back on steriods for a week. Face got a little bit better, and still is getting better but I still have the problem with my right eye and dribbling sometimes from the side of my mouth when I eat or drink. I just have to be patient. I also get the headache and head pain but I am now in VT Therapy and they are working not only on my balance but my neck and neck muscles from the surgery. They explained to me that is what is causing alot of my pain and head fullness. All the best to all of us in our recovery's.
New Jersey- Female- 54
Self Diagnosed July 6, 2012
Officially Diagnosed August 16, 2012      3CM AN
Surgery at Jefferson Neuroscience Sept. 25, 2012
Removed 99.9% of tumor-10 hour surgery-Retrosigmoid

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »
YES! I did NOT come out of surgery with any facial paralysis or eye issues.  But, about 2 weeks post op my side of my face started drooping & my eye not blinking & closing right.  My hubby came home from work and said I looked off and soundy slurry, like stroke symptoms.  Talk about FREAK OUT!  Called my dr (3 1/2 hr away) and the out me on high dose steroids cause I was having the swelling/inflammation like mentioned above.....Delayed Facial Paraylsis.   I think it lasted about a month it so, took a bit but eventually most got back to 'close' to normal, except my tears on that side have never worked since.    Odd!

THANKFUL you were able to get ahold of your dr and get on steroids again!!!!  Hopefully it will heal up & go away quickly & completely!!!

Wishing the Best
Denise (MI)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:37:22 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

millie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I am hoping to see Doctor on Monday for suture removal and see what he says about the droop but Hurricane Sandy may screw me up because I am 70 miles east of NYC on the island.    Hmmm.   In God's hands.
Good night guys Millie

alabamajane

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58:10 am »
Millie,,
Good luck with visit to Dr Monday,,but if you are that close to NYC,,, I doubt you will be able to go to visit,,,, still appears H. Sandy is on her way up there!!and I think I would get off any island before she comes,,,,just my two cents worth of unsolicited info!!
We deal with hurricanes quite a bit down here and a cat 2 if that is still what she is,, is nothing to mess with,,,and the NE quadrant is always the worst winds and tidal flooding,,,,,sending best wishes for you and all in the path of this hurricane! Keep us updated as you can,,, thoughts and prayers,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

millie

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:54 am »
Thanks Jane-been thru hurricanes before-I even like storms but not this time! 
We are high up but some folks on the street are actually talking about going elsewhere.
We have lots of tall old oaks.  Hmm. 
Doctor's practitioner emailed me to say the stitches could wait a few more days.
Thanks Jane-Mil