Author Topic: Botox  (Read 6333 times)

arkansasfarmgirl

Botox
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:22:50 pm »
Who has had Botox to fix unwanted movements?  I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm just now getting to the point that I'm thinking about this for myself.  Does insurance usually pay for it?

My left eyebrow makes a frown when I smile.  It makes me look like I'm trying not to cry, and it's giving me tension headaches by the end of the day unless I am alone (and not smiling so much).  Since I'm usually with my kids all day and they keep me smiling and laughing, um, something needs to happen because it's getting worse and making me grumpy at night because I'm in pain.

Would I have to have both sides done to keep it from looking weird, or can I just have the offending side fixed?  I know I need to talk to a doctor about all this, but we're short on money right now (from building the house, my MRI and my horse's vet bill), so I'm asking ya'll instead.  LOL

Vonda

lori67

Re: Botox
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »
Well, I don't know about all insurance, but mine covers it.  You may need to have your doctor submit a request for pre-authorization.

I'm scheduled to give Botox a try to relieve a very tight muscle contracture in my lower lip/chin area.  Hoping to just need one or two treatments to give the weak muscle in my cheek and by the upper corner of my upper lip a chance to get strong enough to overcome the strong pull downward.  You'll definitely need to talk to your doctor about which muscles it will be most beneficial for, if at all.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:03 am »
I also looked seriously into botox before I decided to do facial retraining instead and I believe that my insurance would have covered it provided that the surgeon who did it was able to present it as a "medical necessity."  I would be very sure to go to someone who has experience working with bells palsy patients since the placement of the injections is critical to getting the outcome you want.  I do know of a few people who were very unhappy with botox when it was administered by someone who didn't have that experience.  The good news, of course, is that even if you are not happy with the outcome, it will not be permanent.  Good luck!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

TP

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:18 am »
I've talked to two Dr's about Botox for my facial paralysis. BOTH said they would not give me Botox. One was a very reputable plastic surgeon and the other a regular MD. Both said no due to the paralysis in my face. When I am not smiling my face looks "normal" but when I smile my AN side the mouth does not turn up. One eye looks different from the other and I was hoping Botox would help but they both said NO to me. I thought about surgery but since I would have to travel to find a Dr who would perform that type of surgery I have decided not to go that route. So I guess as I age my face will start to look cock eyed....Oh well....
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

m4guzman

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:59 am »
HI

I agree with Debbie.  Please make sure you go to someone with knows what they are doing.  I went to
someone recommanded by my doctor and he screwed up my smile.  I did get the botox around my eye and
it really helped.  If you go to someone who knows what they are doing, it can really help.  Do your research.

Marybeth
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
So, in everyone's experience, a plastic surgeon can do it and insurance will pay?  Reason I ask is because the recent FDA approval for botox to help migraines requires a neurologist to do the injections for insurance to pay for it.  I don't think I'd trust a neurologist to do it right...

V

lori67

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »
I'm going to a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders.  Whichever type of doctor you decide on should be experienced in dealing with these types of issues. These treatments done incorrectly can lead to bigger problems than you had to begin with!

I've put it off for a while because I'm not crazy about the idea, but I've done my research and had many discussions with very knowledgeable people and decided the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:03 pm »
I had it done a couple months ago.

I saw a really good facial guy at Hopkins (Dr Bohene), who was recommended by my ENT. He took a lot of pictures and measurements beforehand to submit to insurance to prove it was medical. I got two shots in the corner of my left eye (my 'bad' side) to help with some synkinesis of my eye closing when I smiled. I also got a few (maybe 4?) in my chin because my chin dimpled with any attempt at movement. It didn't hurt at all. Actually I was pretty surprised how 'numb' the area around my eye still was.

He also referred me to facial PT, which I think would be helpful but I decided I'm really just not at a point where I'm ready to deal with it, so I haven't been back.  :-\

I think it helped, and others said they definitely saw a difference. If I had gone back at 3 months like I was supposed to we were also concidering some collagen in my lower lip because the left side is kind of 'deflated' looking (from lack of tone? I don't know) so even when my mouth is closed my one tooth kind of shows. Still, I haven't noticed the botox effects "wearing off" yet. I'm hoping maybe my face learned/is learning how to move correctly on it's own?? I can hope anyway!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

rosie_p

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:39:47 am »
I have had botox treatments at Hopkins for the past year with wonderful results.  I have the paralyzed side worked on where it spasms and dimples where it shouldn't.  I also have treatments on the "normal" side to help w/symmetry and to in essence weaken the movements on that side as well.  It has helped tremendously.
On the journey of my life....

3cm tumor removal July/06 Baltimore, MD
SSD and Facial Paralysis (Right Side) Closed mouth smile? Check. Open mouth smile.....
Thankful for my Surgeons as well as my Physical Therapist!
Began Neuromuscular Retraining in July/09

Truffles

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »
I've been getting botox for a few years now and it has helped tremendously.  An Opthomologist who works with Jackie Diehls does mine.  Insurance covers some.  I would definitely find someone who knows what they're doing because the results otherwise can be very detrimental (it does wear off over a few month time if that happens but still...).

bell

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:04:09 am »
I have had botox 4 times within the last year, every three months. I get 12 injections, symmetrical on both sides, in the areas of:
above eyebrows, 1 inbetween eyebrows, upper forehead, jawmuscles ( which is behind, upper ear), down incision area and along back side of neck.
I have them done by a Neurologist and we are still fighting insurance but I think I finally got it covered.
The botox is for headaches.
It does make my surgery side eyelid droop more and close less, but this is someting I give up to get headache relief. Also my non-existence right-side smile, does droop more because of botox but again it is a relief for headaches.
My face is minimally wrinkled because of botox, is this a good thing? I have to find something good in everything so I am thankful for looking 40 at the age of 48. Of course, that is only my opinion!
Everyone stay well,
Bell

rayden1

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »
 Hi Vonda

Tried to send you something before but think it was blank. I am a bit of a techniphobe.  I have had botox twice 6 months between. It is a great help.Please be careful who does it though. My Dr. is a reconstructive plastic surgeon specializing in facial cancer. Hope your insurance covers it, mine does not. It is considered cosmetic. I also got a stitch in my eye to help closure. Good success. This was covered by ins.

Good luck to you whatever you decide

Annx