Author Topic: facial tics  (Read 2503 times)

badbadbrain67

facial tics
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:17:05 pm »
Two months post-op to remove an almost 5cm AN, I am starting to experience some facial tics on the paralyzed/weak side. The nostril that does not
flare moves up and down. The cheek muscle spasms slightly. Now, I am not a pessimist but I am a realist. I don't want to get too excited. I still
cannot smile for the life of me. Can anyone tell me if this is good news? I realize that I won't have my smile back and full sensation for a while and
I'm willing to wait and work hard at it, but I really want to know if the facial tics are a good sign. It's very difficult for me to see progress because I see
myself everyday and progress is slow. I recently saw a picture of myself from the day I got out of the hospital and I see much improvement in my face
symmetry and so I know I'm improving. But those tics and spasms, they really stirred something inside me.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Any responses will help.

Thank you very much,

Victor
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:00:28 pm by badbadbrain67 »

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: facial tics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:08:28 pm »
At two months post-op, my guess would be that the nerves are starting to wake back up, and hopefully you will see some small movement soon. My first movement was at three months, and I can't remember when I first started feeling the little twinges before that.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:55:38 pm »
Hi Victor:  I never had that so it must be a good thing.  I know others had that & it is an indication (as Sara said) of your facial nerve waking up.  So I say "goodmorning" to your nerve.  Wonderful news ! !  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »
Victor ~

I'm not a doctor and can't offer you a medical professional's opinion or even one based on personal experience but it would seem logical that facial 'tics' are generated by facial nerves and that should be an indication that those nerves are intact and attempting to reanimate your face, as they are intended to do. To answer your question: yes, I do think the 'tics' are good news and of course, I hope (along with you) that this is the reality.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.