Author Topic: I'm an official six month postie now!  (Read 1954 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
I'm an official six month postie now!
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:59:25 am »
Well, for any of you newbies going into this, just know that there are many extremes to the outcome of your particular surgery. I guess I am what you would call the good extreme (not EXTREMELY good, just good!)  Six months ago, on Dec 9th, 2009. I was being wheeled into the operating room at St. Vincent's Hospital in Los Angeles with Dr.'s Brackmann and Schwartz waiting at the helm to give my brain its very first peek at the outside world in 45 years (via Middle Fossa).  I had complete faith in my decision going in and I stand here today feeling very grateful for all that has been given me. 

Aside from the occasional wonky head syndrome, the nerve endings reawakening (ouch!), a little louder tinnitus, hearing at about 60%, and my stamina not quite right up there where I want it to be, things could never be better.  I do not suffer from many headaches anymore and have never had any facial issues.  My sleeping is still problematic, but then again, I am a night shift worker, where I work from 6pm to 6am W-Fr, and every other Saturday.  That fourth day on my long week I can truly feel it.  I have been very active and my positive spirit seems to have survived this whole ordeal.  I will be getting a one year MRI done in December but with my tumor being as small as it was, they did get it all out so hopefully no surprises will await me.

I still read this forum from time to time and try to offer some words of encouragement where needed, because I believe in paying it forward as I really appreciated all the kind words of comfort directed at me during my own trip to become a postie.  For you newbies, take heed to all those who've been around here a while...sometimes they are better than doctors! For all you a not so newbies, :) I want to thank you all for your wisdom and all the help I received.  Life is INDEED good! :)

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lizard

Re: I'm an official six month postie now!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:17:39 am »
Jay,
Congrats on reaching your 6 month mark  ;D
It seems you are doing really well and dealing with any deficits with panache...hee hee.
here's to another 6 months and a clear MRI

This forum really is amazing and I only discovered it a few months ago, surgery was 11/08. Everyone on here is so fortunate not to have to go through the scary and unsure times alone.  I am in such a better place with my recovery because of this forum, mentally and physically. Its like having an extended family that knows way too much about brain function and tumors  ;D

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
Jay ~

Great post!  Your appreciation for the forum members is humbling and a testament to the value of these message boards.   I'm delighted to learn that your recovery is moving in the right direction and that you're getting back to normalcy.  I can tell you that it probably takes a solid year to regain complete normalcy and you'll always have a few small 'reminders' that you had brain surgery. Well, I do.  Of course, I'm quite a bit older than you so you may be able to 'bounce back' even faster than I did.  In any case, thanks for the update - and the kind words.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »
Congratulations Jay on your halfway point in making it through the first year Post Op.   As Jim said the first year brings us to normalcy.   I just can't wait till then.    Keep on working on getting strong!   I'm so glad that you don't have headaches...that's great!!!! ;D

Mei  Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh