Author Topic: What have you done to feel good???????  (Read 10331 times)

RadiantStar

What have you done to feel good???????
« on: March 30, 2006, 08:38:21 pm »
Just wonderin' what have you done for yourself lately????????

Would be interesting, especially to those new to AN diagnosis and recovery, what you do to help yourself feel well, and nuture/feel good.

NO SELF FLAGiLATING ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*

Write what types of things MOVE, MOTIVATE, MAKE YOU SMILE/LAUGH/ROAR, or what you THINK will make a difference in you life,,,,,,now, pre, post. or waiting it out surgery.....now is the time to contemplate it.   (did I spell that right?)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: What have you done to feel good???????
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:39:48 pm »
I like to get silly!  Silly! Silly! Silly!  It's my therapy!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:44:24 pm »
Capt Deb I thought Dr. Love was your therapy  LOL

I for one have been contemplating the same thing.  I used to go for manicure and pedicures but have not since before surgery.  I keept thinking I'll have the stamina and patience to do so but also the money thing is making it hard to indulge.  So for me I catch a matinee movie when I can to help escape the duldroms of my reality!

Or read a good book...

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:14:15 pm »
I got me a pedicure this past Saturday (since I can't lower my head to do my toes) and got my hair done last night! :)  Yep, little pampering does wonders!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:50:54 pm »
I like to indulge in manicures, pedicures, massages as well.  We have a lady that comes into my work every week and offers $13 15 minute chair massages...I usually get two!  She's come to my home before, so I'm getting her fixed up to come over post surgery to help me out.   I had a fill tonight...I go to the old fashioned nail lady...it takes 1 1/2 hours to hand file and fix my nails, but they look really good.  I'm pre-op, so I'm trying to make contingent plans if I'm too debilitated after surgery...

For low cost things, I love a good bath with fun bubbly smellies.  I can shut the world out in there.  When I found out about my AN I was at work...what a hard thing...anyway, I went out and got my favorite candle to keep at work...so I would have a soothing, relaxing smell in my office.  If I'm starting to stress, I just grab the candle jar and take a few whiffs.  Curling up with a good cup of tea surrounded in pillows and soft blankets is good too...in fact, I'm just about there now!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:39:32 am »
Get outside in the sunshine (providing the weather is co-operating). As soon as I was able post-op to do it I started walking. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

daylilly

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:02:17 am »
I am so happy to see spring coming. I found out about my AN at the end of May and did not have surgery
until July 25, 2005. We could not go on a summer vacation since we needed to save that time for my husband to
take off during the recovery, etc.  During the summer I found out about the plant clearance table at Lowes. They
put the plants that have finished blooming on there for under a dollar. I bought plants every morning and would
come home and dig holes and plant and plant and plant. It felt so good to be outside. I have no idea what I planted
and where it all is. I know I must have planted over a hundred daylillies. I can't wait to see what colors they are. I
will probably plant a few new things this year but not quite as many as I did while waiting for the surgery.
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 09:52:57 am »
Dr. Love and I LUUUUUUUURRRRRRRVVVS Daylillies!  We have about 60 or 70 varieties and about the same # of hostas.  I have a little psychedelic painted greenhouse out back and a great raised-bed veggie garden, too.  Our house is sort of stuck to a mountainside, but we scraped out enuff flat spacce for a cool garden.  We have lots of stone terracing and trellises, for vertical color.  Dr. Love builds the terraces and I plant 'em.  I love to garden, since my headaches are better, I'm planning to do more of it--it's what I call instant gratification!

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 10:07:50 am by Captain Deb »

matti

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:04:14 am »
I love to garden, It is my alone time, it is relaxing, theraputic, as well as rewarding. I treat myself weekly to plants and flowers. I love sitting under my redwoods with my black lab and taking it all in.

The other thing that makes me happy is watching reality tv. Mindless entertainment with eye candy. Right BattyP?

Daylilly - I am at lowes or home depot weekly buying flowers. Best selection and variety. Bet your garden will look amazing when the lillies bloom. Right now I am into topiaries.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:10:17 am »
Yes Matti...eye candy=reality tv!  Thank goodness Austin is still there  ;D ;D ;D  Shane has to go go go!!!!!

I'm banned from Lowe's and Home Depot  lol  I spend wayyyy to much money in there. I'd rather shop there than a shoe store! :o

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:17:50 am »
Oh, Shane so has to go.  He is so irratating!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the other thing I did...It was March 1 when I found out about my AN and that weekend I went to a garden store and bought spring flowers and tried to take away the winter look of my walkway.  I also bought a couple more plants for the house. 

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 10:25:13 am »
I like to buy the poor decrepit orchids that are past their bloom and rehab them in my greenhouse.  I bring them in in the winter and put them in this little thing I built out of metal shelving, platic bins filled with pebbles and 2 shower curtains.  They do fine! In the summer, I put 'em outside hangin off the eave of the greenhouse--fall and spring in the green house. I have over 30 of 'em and always have 2-3-4 in bloom year round.  I have phalanopsis, oncidiums, papheopedilums, and cattleyas with a few cimbidiums.  I'm bringin' 'em all to Florida when I move in with Batty and Batty Junior for the winter. (SUPRISE! SUPRISE!)

Captain Deb

PS I have a black lab, too!

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 11:28:25 am »
Is the black lab male or female?  I have to poodle mixes that like shagging with women  lol

I have a huge back porch we can cover with plastic and you can grow til your hears content.  Just don't eat the orchids!  LOL  Actually some of them are pretty tasty  lol

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
Up in my neck of the woods, without a greenhouse, I can only get Phalenopsis to grow...I have one in my window that's about to bloom right now!  My house is just too dark and dry for most orchids, although I love them!!!  I tried to do a low light paph and it never bloomed again.  I need a greenhouse.  And more hours in the day.  Now I try to get low moisture, low light things for the house so I don't kill them.  Have a succulent called "chain of hearts" that's really cool!

So you guys going to go into the labradoodle business??  :D

matti

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »
My lab, the luv of my lfe, the apple of my eye, is a male. His name is Cosmo, he's a big ole couch potato and he hates going anywhere near water.

Grew up with poodle mixes and yes they do like to shag LOL.  

Me too battyP! Given the choice between clothes/shoe shopping or home improvement stores, I'll happily take the latter.  Since my hubby travels so much, and he never gets around to his honey do list, I have taken it upon myself to get them done. Give me a paint brush or a box of tiles and I am a happy girl. Current project is scaping "popcorn' ceilings.

Had my fingers crossed that Shane would go.   I really miss Dancing with the Stars... :(

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50