Author Topic: Busted Internal Thermostat?  (Read 3181 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Busted Internal Thermostat?
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »
This was something my husband's aunt (who had a stroke some years ago) warned me about as a possibility postop, but not something I've read about anywhere specific to ANs. I'm hot all the time! So much so that I've taken my temp a few times thinking maybe it was a fever (it never is). I used to be one of those people who's usually cold, now I'm in a tee shirt while my mom and husband walk around in long sleeves and a jacket!

Anyone else experience this?
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

epc1970

Re: Busted Internal Thermostat?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:06:34 pm »
Hi
I had the opposite problem for the first few months post op....I was always cold. It would be 90 degrees out and I was so cold I had goosebumps! I do not know why but things did normalize gradually after three or four months.
Erin

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:12:50 pm »
I see you are recently post op.  I had my surgery on 9/23 just a day after  :D.  Any chance you are still on steroids? I was so hot and it was particulary bad at night for the first maybe 12 days (I was on steroids for 10 days) - I thought maybe I was have hot flashes or hormonal issues (I am older than you) but my husband said steroids can do that and sure enough it went away...I am not sure the exact day it was but it has at least been a good week with no internal thermostat problems.  I don't know if this is common post surgery or not...I think for me it was the steroids.  Hope it gets better!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:17:53 pm »
OMG, I had this exact, exact, exact thing.

I was always the person who was cold, and for months after surgery -- in fact, it's only recently I've stopped noticing it at four months out (which may be because the weather changed!) -- I would get overheated INSTANTLY upon any exposure to heat (aka in summer). I kept saying my ability to regulate my body temp was off-kilter, like the anaesthesia slowed it down and it never got right again!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55:15 pm »
I had HORRIBLE hot flashes and dizzy spells after I had surgery...I don't remember for how long...longer than the steroids but not forever.  Now, whenever it is cold, I get (literally) chilled to the bone and am cold for the rest of the day.  It is awful as we are already having cold spells and still have outdoor soccer games...also, one of my girlies takes figure skating & it is FREEZING sitting there waiting for her - my sweet hubby goes whenever he is off work b/c I get so cold!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:58 am »
My body also changed after surgery only I get very cold and also a few times in the day I am overwhelmed with hot flashes with dizziness that I felt that I had a high fever but there was none.  Also the hot flashes was very noticible my coworker saw me and screamed that my face and neck was turning very red and had me sit down and drink lots of water within several minutes I was okay. It was been 3 months since my surgery I do not know if this is normal or should be getting better I hope it will get beter soon winter is coming it wasn't bad being cold in the summer...but then again hot flashes in the winter could be a bonus....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:56 pm »
I had the same thing going on after my first surgery. I was explained by nurses and doctors that all those mega doses of steroids that are given to prevent brain swelling mess with hormone levels. I thought I was the only 25 year old who got the taste of menopause! It takes the body a few months to re-balance itself but it happens.

Eve 
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

heidi g

• adventures of addy, amelia, & griswold
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:23 am »
my problem is the opposite--i am FREEZING. all the time. my dad has had a few surgeries & he mentioned that this is what he went through for maybe 6 months post-op each time. my husband finds it annoying but cute (b/c i am bundled up constantly).
surgery performed on july 28, 2009 at the Ohio State University Medical Center by Dr. B. Welling & Dr. McGregor.
As of 8/10/09, left side numbness (comes & goes), lost maybe partial hearing in AN ear, LOUD tinnitus, but walking & balance is going very well.