Author Topic: AN in DC  (Read 3598 times)

Bobtheheadcase

AN in DC
« on: August 09, 2007, 02:25:58 pm »
Hi. I'm a 57 year old male and I found out a few days ago of my 1.5cm AN.
So much to learn about these things! Radiation? Surgery? What kind of surgery? Gee!
What happens if you meet with a radiation doctor and he or she says, "radiation is the way to go." And then you meet a surgeon who says, "surgery is what I recommend." How do you make this decision? I understand the value of research but what if it's basically a wash? Couldn't I find twenty doctors that recommend radiation and twenty that say surgery? Don't you just end up paying yer money and taking yer chances? OK, breathe, breathe.

So how did you all make the decision? What made you lean one way or the other?

I meet with surgeon #1 next Thursday in D.C.
bob

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: AN in DC
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:21:19 pm »
Hi Bob,

I see you have found out already that there are hard decisions to be made and that the medical community doesn't always make it any easier for us!

I guess what you do is to talk to some very  experienced doctors...surgeons and radiosurgeons and then decide what "feels" right for you.  Some people just aren't at all comfortable knowing there is something growing inside their head and will opt for surgery.( Kind of the "Out, out damn spot." theory!) Some people aren't too keen on microsurgery and having somebody digging inside their head and will decide that the least invasive procedure is the way to go.  There are pro's and con's with both treatments.  So you can get a sheet of paper and physically do that...Pro's on one side and Con's on the other and have one page for Microsurgery and one for Radiosurgery and start writing down your research and then draw your own conclusions from that. Sometimes it's nothing more than a "gut" feeling about which treatment feels right for your particular situation. 

Of course, I didn't do any of that!  ;)   My first neurosurgeon shuffled me off to his associate who recommended radiation and I said..."Oh, you don't have to do surgery? Oh, thank God."  And that was what I was happy with. 

Whatever you decide, and especially if you decide on microsurgery, make sure your team is very, very experienced.  That seems to be what everyone recommends...you want surgeons who do a considerable number of AN's, which will help to ensure the best possible outcome.

Welcome to the forum.  Best wishes for your eventual treatment and recovery.

Sue in Vancouver WA  USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sloxana

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 05:01:36 pm »
Hi Bob
I found out in July that I had an AN the same size as yours.  I am still researching all my options and trying to figure out the treatment that will be best for me.  Slowly, but surely, like everyone on this board says, one treatment is starting to feel "right" for me.  So, just take your time....most AN's are extremely slow growing and you have time to make your decision.  Don't let anyone rush you into making a treatment choice that does not seem the best thing for you to do. 

Another thing that helped me was just logging onto this board every day and reading what the "experienced" posters have to say.  There are some amazing people (to me, they are my "heroes) that have paved the way for you by researching and experiencing firsthand microsurgery and radiosurgery and watching & waiting.  You can learn a lot from these people.  I know I have!

Good luck to you!
Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

TP

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:18:30 pm »
Size usually determines which procedure and side effects may speed up your descision. I think you have some time to do research and interview Dr's in your area and possibly outside your area if you are able.  I had to make a quick decision and went with surgery due to the size as well as the location of the tumor. We have many folks in this forum who are in wait and watch method and they have to deal with issues on a daily basis. So it does depend on what you feel is the right thing to do - but you said it, breathe, breathe, this tumor is slow growing and you are going to be ok and more importantly you are in our prayers! 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

hendi51

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:38:06 pm »
Bob, glad you found the site, sorry about the AN. My husband has decided to do the surgery. He has some pretty severe symptoms. He has lost the hearing in his left ear, everything bounces at all times, sometimes so bad all he can do is lay down and close his eyes so he can't see anything. After a couple hours things calm down some. He staggers like a drunk person. The reason he chose surgery is because he believes he will get relief from his symptoms faster. He has gone over the options many times and this is his choice. We should know when tomorrow.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Raven

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 07:47:11 pm »
Bob,

I also found out in July that I have a 1.1 CM x 0.5 AN on my left side. Pretty much everything I've learned about ANs have been from the great people on this forum. I have lost quite a bit of hearing in my left ear, woke up one morning and boom, just about gone. My only symtom is hearing loss, did feel woosey once in a while but since I've made a decision that has sort of gone away, strange but true. The tinnitus however is the pits. In an effort to preserve what hearing I have left, my age (48) and the relatively small size, I'm choosing surgery, actually having another consultation with my Dr.s tomorrow and hopefuly set the date. You are close to Baltimore as I am, so Johns Hopkins and University of Md. Medical are close by. This is round one for me as I'm bilateral and will have to deal with the right side as well, I'm in wait and watch mode now. All I can tell you is reserch as much as you can, I've spent countless hours. Going to start a little research on the pituitary gland tonight as I've got something there also..............can't wait to get rid of all of them.

Good luck and like must poeple here say, welcome to the club nobody wants to join.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:55:21 pm by Raven »
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

Betsy

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:02 pm »
Hi Bob,

I like your name...my dad's name was Bob, and I have a cat named Bob as well.

Welcome to the forum.  It seems overwhelming at first, but there are some things to be thankful for.  Your AN is small, so you have options.  It's slow growing so you have time to ponder those options.  And you have some excellent AN resources near by.  Plus, you've already discovered the forum!

I found out about my AN in April and I was pretty messed up for awhile.  But I kept reading and reading...and meeting with different doctors and eventually I knew what I wanted to do.  You'll get there, just give yourself some time.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Bobtheheadcase

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:17 am »
Thank's guys! It is hugely comforting to know that you're here especially when no one in my circle has even heard of acoustic neuromas.

I saw the comment somewhere that in most cases the pre-op anticipation and confusion and worry was worse than anything post-op. I'm guessing there's some truth to that.

Thanks again for being here.

Bob

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:58 am »
After you freak out for a week or two calm down and adopt the attitude...

I have an AN... it doesn't have me ...

That is what I did and was a watch and waiter for almost three years when surgery was finally 
done because of accelerated growth of tumor... I researched and explored options ... was hoping
to go radiation but due to lupus and some argument whether it would work well for me I
went with trans lab... almost 6 weeks post op... have had a few glitches along the way
and have gotten great advice from people here and my doctor...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 01:01:10 pm »
Hi, Bob:

I'm glad that you found the site & the forums but I'm sorry you have a reason to be here.   :(

Fortunately, your relatively small AN can be 'watched' (via frequent MRI scans to determine if the thing is 'growing') and/or you can undergo non-invasive radiation treatments.   Time is on your side - so use it well.  You'll probably have to make a decision before too long, so I strongly suggest that you begin to prepare for that day.  From what I've read, hearing loss - to some degree - is common with these buggers (I lost mine in the affected ear as the nerve was 'squashed', according to my neurosurgeon).  However, the smaller the AN when removed or radiated, the better the chance of preserving hearing in that ear.  Still, I wouldn't count on preserving 100% hearing in the affected ear.  This is a tough thing to deal with but most AN patients do and we survive quite well with SSD (Single Sided Deafness).  It's amazing how our brains and bodies compensate for a major loss.  Of course, I hope this doesn't happen to you, Bob, but we have to be realistic.  This is a serious condition.  Treatable and non-cancerous, to be sure, but still something no one can take lightly, as I'm certain you do not.   

Some of us (Jim raises his hand) when diagnosed, had a tumor too large for radiation, alone, so surgery was the only option.  I had a very caring and experienced neurosurgeon who, in deference to my deep concern over possible nerve damage from surgery, suggested microsurgery to 'hollow out' the tumor and cut off it's blood supply, then to work with a radiation oncologist to 'map out' multiple, 'low-dose' FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation) treatments (26 in all) intended to  destroy the tumor's DNA and eventually kill the thing.  Long story short: the surgery went very well. My surgeon employed a neurophysiologist to handle the nerve monitoring.  I had no noticeable post-operative facial paralysis or other complications, aside from occasional double vision (that only lasted a few days).  I was home from the hospital within 5 days and driving again within two weeks.   I walked a lot and rapidly regained most of my impaired (due to the AN tumor) equilibrium.  3 months later I began my FSR treatments.  They were tedious but painless and I had practically no ill effects.  Later, swelling of the radiated tumor- which is normal -  gave me some discomfort but nothing a few OTC Ibuprofen tablets couldn't resolve fairly quickly.  My last MRI scan (June, 2007) showed the tumor is shrinking and necrosis (cell death) is clearly evident.  My doctor was very pleased, as was I.  This doesn't mean that anyone who has microsurgery and FSR to treat their AN will have the identical outcome, only that it was an option that worked well for me.  I present it as my experience, nothing more.  With your small AN tumor, radiation is probably the better option, but only you will make that determination.   

I concur with the observation that individual physicians will have personal biases regarding the 'best' form of treatment for you, so your job is to find out all you can (this site is a great resource) then consult with physicians well-experienced in their field (surgery/radiation) that have familiarity dealing with AN tumors.  Again, the final decision will be yours, so don't allow any doctor - no matter how 'authoritative' he or she may be - to 'push' you into a procedure you don't feel good about, just because 'doctor said so'.  You have to feel good about what you're doing and you, not the doctor, will have to live with the consequences.  They can be mild, as in my case, or severe and life-altering, as happens to some AN patients.  I like to call having an acoustic neuroma 'a minefield', because that's how I see it. 

I believe that a caring physician who treats AN tumors (not that many do) will honestly lay out all of the options for you, without bias, but this doesn't always happen, unfortunately.  My surgeon had no qualms about recommending surgery and radiation because he had seen great success with this approach recently and was cognizant of my concern about nerve damage and it's consequences.  He took a cautious, conservative approach and it worked out splendidly for me.  I really admire and respect the man (Dr. Issac Goodrich) for his compassion, caring, skill and response to my concerns.  I wish all AN patients had such a physician treating them.  Fortunately, there are other fine, caring, skilled physicians around the country, as posts on these forums will show.  I truly hope you can find one and I know that anyone that posts here regularly will try to help you in any way possible.  Stay connected with us because we care and we want to help as much as possible.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

staypoz

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:18:41 am »
You should try to come to one of the DC area support group meetings.  The group meets quarterly; the next meeting is either in September or October.  I didn't see the date posted on the ANA website, but you can probably get it by contacting ANA.  Folks in the group have been treated locally and outside the area and you might find it reassuring to hear their experiences.

staypoz   

Obita

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:26:01 pm »
Hello Bob:

Welcome to the forum!

I was crazy nutso until I decided on which treatment was for me and who would do it.  Then, some kind of 
calming peace came over me.  I wish the same for you.

Good luck to you, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

wwalker

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »
Bob,

I had a similar decision to yours. 1.5 cm tumor, age 60, no other major health issues.  Doctors said it could be treated with either surgery or gamma knife.

The deciding factors for me were a strong desire to be done with the AN, and an unwillingness to play the odds.  All the good information avilable on this site indicated a 5-10% chance of regrowth with radiosurgery, and less than 1% with microsurgery.  Having the rotten luck to catch an AN in the first place, I didn't like the odds of having it grow back.

Also, if it did return, I'd be a few years older, making the recovery from microsurgey even worse in the future.  Even if it didn't come back, I'd have to have MRI's forever just to monitor the AN.

Many folks on this board made the opposite decision, given the same facts.  Its a really unpleasant decision, but it comes down to what's important to your future.

Wayne

!.5 cm left-side AN
Retrosigmoid surgery 9-20-06
Dr. Karl Horn and Dr. Andrew Metzger
Presbyterian Hospital, Albuquerque

Mark

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 05:10:47 pm »
Wayne,

In reading your response to Bob, I'm glad you've made a decision that you are comfortable with but having read many studies over the last 6-7 years, I'd have to point out that your regrowth statistics are essentially reversed. On the surgery side the academic reviewed studies I've seen show a pretty consistent 5-10% regrowth rate. Some of the top practioners like HEI are certainly on the lower end of that scale, but on a national average basis I think others on this board who have done a lot of research would agree those are the figures. Regrowth after radiosurgery is usually seen to be in the 2-4% range. Some would argue that the figures are lower simply because radiosurgery studies don't go out as long, but given it's been practiced in the US for roughly 20 years and worldwide for nearly 40, I've yet to see any results that alter those statistics.

I'm not sure where on this site you would have gotten those figures, but I felt a need to challenge it in the interest of accuracy.

Best of luck

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001