Author Topic: Surgery - what to expect  (Read 4922 times)

Lotty mac

Surgery - what to expect
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »
4 days until I have surgery to remove my AN - apparently its quite small ( peanut size), It was recommended I have translybth surgery and that's what is happening! It's like a whirlwind has hit me and the time I have had to process it all is nearly up!!!
I feel terrified and scared probably more of the post op experience...
Wondering how much hair will be shaved  etc ...
Worried if my kids should come to the hospital - especially would welcome opinions on this they r 7 & 11,,

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Surgery - what to expect
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:50:23 am »
Anxiet is awful. I am 9 days post op now and my anxeity leading up to surgery was awful. Where are you having surgery? I had Retro approach so I'm not sure about how much will be shaved. Post op you will be in and out of it. I was so worried about what I was going to be feeling when I woke up. I was just groggy and nauseous. I don't remember a whole lot about the first 24 hours. I do remember not having pain. I was worried about that also. Keep us posted and if you have questions I"m available. Just ask. No matter how stupid you think the question is. I'm not sure about kids. Mine did not come cause I traveled to LA.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

trev0024

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:24:29 am »
I am having my surgery March 20th! Is the same day as yours? Where will you be? I can relate to the anxiety and post-op fears. I guess you just have to realize that you are no longer in control. THis is what I'm doing at least. Have trust in doctors and faith in whatever you believe in greater than yourself. THis is my plan. Hang in there. At least you know you are not alone.

Best wishes

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:45:06 am »
Hi, and welcome!  It is certainly understandable to be quite nervous and anxious - and all of us here can certainly understand...

To answer your specific questions, first - there is generally only a small amount of hair shaved for surgery.  Unless your hair is very short, the area will not show at all...As far as having your children come to the hospital, I think I would just plan to wait and see how you feel.   I, like Mindy, was out in LA and so did not have any visitors other than my husband and mom who went w/ me.  I was very glad to not have visitors as I was not up to talking or even listening to anyone.  However, many people are very much ready and glad to have visitors - we all recover differently from this surgery...so, just play that by ear, maybe...

Wishing you the best - please let us know what other questions you have and keep us posted on how things go,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:49:14 pm »
Hi Lotty!

The very best to you for a good outcome.
  I had translab and am pretty thankful for not having kids there, esp. the first couple days.
  Some pts. must essentially learn to walk again and one doesn't often feel well for much company the first 1 - 3 days. One adjusts quickly to lost balance function of one side and that improvement may continue for a long while. The  good side has probably already begun the process of compensation for lost balance function.
  Each is individual, however, and you may feel better than I. My surgery was in 1977!
  You'll get through this and the worst, for the most part, will be past quickly. I found that codeine and a tranquilizer were good friends those first 3 days.
  Once home and after a few weeks of fatigue, I was good to go. Surgery, is no longer the monster some wish to paint in order to have another choose irradiation. Surgery is clean, concise, controlled, monitored and well attended by expert staff and the highest % AN Txs are still surgical.
  And best of all, the tumor is gone!
  May God bless and keep you, Lotty!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »
Hi, Lottie ~

Your pre-op anxiety is perfectly normal.  I think every AN surgical patient goes through this to one degree or another.  I know I did but, as Jeremy stated in his post, you have to (a) realize you simply are no longer really in control of this and, (b) have faith in your doctors and their surgical team.  This was how I approached my AN surgery.  I prayed a lot and simply 'went along for the ride' as The Big Day approached.  By the time I was being wheeled into surgery, I was as relaxed as anyone could be in that situation.  A tiny bit apprehensive but not scared or panicky and happy to finally be 'getting on with it'.  Long story short: like many AN surgery patients, I did just fine.  No real post-op complications, a short (5 day) hospital stay and a relatively rapid and drama-free recovery.  I was driving again within 2 weeks of my hospital discharge and within just a few months, doing everything I did before my surgery.  O.K., I get fatigued faster than I used to but then, I'm ancient.  Other than that, 'life is good'.

I trust that as you 'make peace' with the surgery and really put your trust in your surgical team, you'll be more sanguine about the operation and with a positive attitude, I think you'll do just fine.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lotty mac

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:52:58 pm »
Thank you all for your replies it is conforting to find some people who share similar stories!

I am actually in Australia and will have my Translab op on Thursday the 22nd in Sydney ( we are a day ahead - lucky me ;) )I live five hours west of Sydney so we will bring our two kids with us but are lucky as my brother lives in " the big smoke"

Mindy- my primary concern was initially about the operation, never having had a stitch or broken bone I was sure I could have found an " easier" one to have - that sort of has transpired now to some degree and like u I am now more concerned about how I will "feel" post op eg: nausea and dizziness... My onset of symptoms have all occurred within one year and already experience some dizziness and unsteadiness - I like to say its a bit like I've got a hangover if I'm tired or rundown!

My kids will come to see me once I am out of icu, and back in the ward ... I think it will reassure me to know they are ok - perhaps that is a little selfish ... I'm learning that although I'm a master planner I don't have much control over this !!! We will assess this as required.

What I am learning is that like most things in life we are all hugely different and each recovery is different. I am thankful I found this board I only wished it was a month sooner!

I also am confident in my surgeons - my main surgeon apparently does the most of these procedures in Aus and is apparently world renowned ? He is very reassuring.

Thank you again for your responses - this is helping me so much and motivating me to just get through this week - Bring it on!!

Mindy I hope u are recovering well and many apologies for my typing efforts I'm on my phone,

Cheers
Loretta :)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:42:59 pm »
Loretta
I had never broken a bone either. I did have stitches once on the top of my thumb. I had eye surgeries and 2 c-sections (more stitches) so I guess I have had a few more things than you. I remember my head feeling heavy but no pain. My neck did feel sore because I had retrosigmoid where they do go into your neck muscles. Nothing terrible. I did have morphine the first 24 hours because I did have lumbar drain which everytime I sat up I started to get a headache. Not a big dose of morphine but enough to keep the headaches at bay till I was able to have caffine to drink to replenish the spinal fluid. I guess a lumbar drain is what they use for Retro. This was news to me till the day before surgery. That is ok. I didn't feel it so it was all good. My anxiety level was so high before surgery it was awful. I have to say that all the people here and on FB were very very helpful. I didn't realize just how understanding everyone here is. I am very thankful to have such wonderful people to turn to when I have questions or concerns. People who have been there done that and those who are seeking answers. I love this forum.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

katmac36

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »
Hi!

I had Translab 6 months ago and was also terrified of the post-op phase. For me, the reality was much better than my imagination. I had a better outcome than I could have hoped for. For a while I was very unsteady and felt like I was seeing through a tunnel. I felt like I had had a couple of glasses of wine too many. Hardly any pain. They shave very little hair. Now, I just pin it back with a bobby pin. The hardest adjustment for me has been the deafness. With 3 loud kids running around sometimes I get very confused and frustrated. However, even that is getting better. Beware the first time in a loud restaurant or crowd! I didn't know what hit me. :) I hope everything goes well for you.   
Good luck

rayden1

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:26:45 pm »
Hi,

Am sure you will be just fine. I think you will have a lot of meds after so you will be out of it. My kids came in on day 3. Of course I wanted to see them right away but did not want them to see me on morphine as GOD only knows what I would be saying. I wish you all the luck in the world. Trust the experts in the hospital.

Ann x

Lotty mac

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:49 am »
Thanks katmac and raydan encouraging words as I sit here worrying at 1.30am the night before the day before - lol! At the beginning of the year I posted something on fb along the lines of " expect the best - be prepared for the worst etc etc" - perhaps I was slightly prophetic ;)
I'm hoping I'll get what I expect !
Thanks again - it all helps x

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »
Hi Loretta,

My heart goes out to you - all the way across the international date line - in the difficult time leading up to the surgery.  I know how tough the lead up to the surgery is, and remember those wakeful nights. Hang in there and soon it'll be behind you and you can begin your recovery.   I read that picturing yourself recovering comfortably after surgery can actually help make that a reality.  Can't hurt, right?

Best, best wishes,
Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 06:38:09 pm »
I know you won't get this today but I'm leaving this note to wish you a speedy recovery after surgery today.
You'll be back in the west before you know it!  ;D

Lovenhugs

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12