Author Topic: Decadron  (Read 2458 times)

formula30

Decadron
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »
Hi!  I am almost six months since gamma............and the three months mri showed swelling..........and really didn't want to take the decadron........so many side effects.  Called the neurosurgeon and told him about my symptoms..........manageable, but now I am getting pains in the back of my head.......kind of make you wince.......I will be going in soon for another mri..........they have prescribed this steroid......first three days 12 mg....then two days 6 mg.....and so on until after a week I am done.  It seems like such a short period of time...........maybe I won't have any problems????  I am going away on vacation in less than a week, and will finish up my last dose one day into my vacation............should I wait to start..........I have taken prednisone in the past for other things and never had a problem.  I just thought maybe someone on here would have some experience with this.  Thanks I am such a worry wart sometimes........we will be staying with friends during vacation and I don't want to be a problem........matter of fact I don't even want anyone to know I am not fine.........because I really am, but I don't want things to get worse either.  Just wondering what other opinions would be???  Thanks in advance.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Decadron
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:02:26 am »
Not sure if you are on vacation at this time but glad to hear you are keeping your GK team updated on what is going on.  As they are the ones that are the experts on this, it may not be a bad idea to follow their recommendations. As one that is on many meds for multiple ailments.... I can well understand. Steroids (ie: decadron, Medrol Dosepak, etc) are usually short-term courses of meds and suggestion would be to weigh the benefits vs non-benefits. Steroids are usually recommended to help keep any potential edema/swelling in check and if the suspicion is potential swelling, it does sound like they are prescribing a good course of action (in the AN radio-world).

Suggestion is to note to the NS your concerns re: the meds and also weigh out for yourself the advantages vs. disadvantages of taking the meds short-term as recommended.  

Hang in there and hope you feel better soon.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

Re: Decadron
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:50:33 pm »
Hi;

Oh, everyone is so different...
  I was given a rapid increase, then decrease of prednisone the first SHL and bounced off walls.
  The next SHL, they gave methylprednisolone and no problems.
  Whatever, a run of steroids is hard on internal organs if given more than once a year or so.
  It seems to me control of edema from GK is primary most any time though, thus, if it were my body, I wouldn't wait.
  Yes, it is a rapid taper to high, then rapid taper to low, cuz, it's not so good for the rest of the body.
  Best wishes with this in whatever you choose!

Hi!  I am almost six months since gamma............and the three months mri showed swelling..........and really didn't want to take the decadron........so many side effects.  Called the neurosurgeon and told him about my symptoms..........manageable, but now I am getting pains in the back of my head.......kind of make you wince.......I will be going in soon for another mri..........they have prescribed this steroid......first three days 12 mg....then two days 6 mg.....and so on until after a week I am done.  It seems like such a short period of time...........maybe I won't have any problems????  I am going away on vacation in less than a week, and will finish up my last dose one day into my vacation............should I wait to start..........I have taken prednisone in the past for other things and never had a problem.  I just thought maybe someone on here would have some experience with this.  Thanks I am such a worry wart sometimes........we will be staying with friends during vacation and I don't want to be a problem........matter of fact I don't even want anyone to know I am not fine.........because I really am, but I don't want things to get worse either.  Just wondering what other opinions would be???  Thanks in advance.