Author Topic: Belly fat and pics  (Read 5427 times)

tenai98

Belly fat and pics
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:49:51 pm »
Ok doc mention that he would be taking fat from belly to put in my head....hehehe another soon to be fat head.  My question is how much fat is removed and exactly where on the belly?  Does anyone have any pics???  speaking of pics, I would like to have pics or even film my surgery..I find this kind of stuff very interesting...I've assisted my vet in surgery and in post mortens...yuck to some but interesting to others..
Jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

Re: Belly fat and pics
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »
If you ask me, not enough fat is removed (I asked for some free liposuction while I was knocked out anyway!).  I have about a 3-4" scar to the side of my belly button - a little lower, on the left, so as not to confuse future doctors into thinking you've had your appendix removed.  It has faded away pretty much and is barely noticeable, but after 4 kids, I'm not planning on flaunting that part of my body anyway! 

And even if I allowed anyone to take a picture of that scar, I sure wouldn't be posting it!  Sorry, but if you think a post mortem on Rover was yucky.....I wouldn't want to make everyone here blind as well as deaf!!!  :D

Perhaps someone else might be brave enough to post a picture of their scar!

Good luck to a future fat head!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:55:28 pm »
No, they don't take near enough fat!  My incision is about 5 inches on left side also and about 2 inches below the belly button.  While I do have pics of my head incision, none of the belly - no way.  Think I do remember someone posting a pic of their belly incision, though...

Cheri (cwood) got a DVD of her surgery - she said it was very interesting and very comforting to see the tumor out and in the trash!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Dawn

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:14 pm »
While we are on the topic of scars....I didn't realize they cut 2 places for the belly fat, was there a lot of soreness after surgery when sitting up or turning in bed?...how is the scar on the head....did they shave your head and did your hair grow back on that side?

I know the scar should be the least of my worries but I am concerned and have been looking for pics of surgeries/scars.  I've read about the bandage on the head after surgery....how long does that stay on.

My docs are thinking when I'm ready it will be the translab approach.
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:41 pm »
Hi Dawn
I don't quite know what you mean when you say they cut 2 places for the belly fat?  It's one long incision in the belly.  Not 2.  And, yes, it's kinda sore after surgery.
They do shave alittle hair around your incision, but it's only about 2 inches or so.  If you have longer hair, you won't notice it much.  I'm 6 months post op- and I went today to a new hairdresser to get my hair cut.
I explained to her about the surgery....and she lifted up my hair, and looked around, and said "wow...I can't hardly see your incision at all, and your hair all grew back!!!!
I hope that answers your questions.....and it's the least of your problems....honestly.
The "turban" goes all the way around your head.  They do keep it kinda tight, and my doctor changed it almost everyday to look at it.  I had to wear it the whole time in the hospital -- which was 8 days, and then even when I went home, for at least the first week, or alittle more.  It was the first doctor's visit, that I think he took it off.
It kinda bugs you, but again, not a big deal.  Hint...I had a nurse that came in when the doctor did....and she asked the doctor to "snip" alittle cut in the bandage in the front.  That loosened it up just alittle, but it felt much better.  Maybe you can remember to ask your doctor if he would do that after the first couple of days.
There are some pics here of the surgery scar.....but I can't remember who posted it.  Maybe someone else will remember.  I also had translab.
I'm glad you found this site.  It was such a big help to me.  Still is. 
Please take care, and I'm sure other people here can help you find other answers to your questions.
Keep posting, and remember to tell us your surgery date.   We like to know, to send you good wishes, and prayers.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:56:19 pm »
I only have one incision - I guess they were able to gather enough fat from just the one!   :D

I think you'll find that every doctor does things a little differently.  I had the bandage on my head removed on the 4th day post-op and I was able to wash my hair.  (Ahhhh).  I had some pain around the belly incision, but nothing tylenol couldn't handle.  I didn't have any trouble moving around at all, even with the drain in - and I think that was pulled the same time they took the bandage off my head.

The doctors seem to understand that having your head shaved can be traumatic and they seem to keep it to a minimum.  Like Lacey said, if it's not really short to begin with, you should be able to hide the shaved part pretty well.  My hair grew back pretty quickly and you can't even see the scar.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JudyT

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:16:10 am »
Hi everybody here...........what are you all talking about.......belly fat put in your head????? Why? What for? Never heard of this.........is this procedure for AN's?

Judy T

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 02:19:23 am »
Hi Judy.

During a Translab removal of an AN, they drill a hole in your skull just behind the ear. Afterwards, they have to close it again, otherwise the luquid protecting your brain will leak from the ear and nose. But, if they fill the hole with belly fat, the hole will be closed and no leak will occur.

Belly fat is apparently a usefull material for this, and since it is your own, the risk of your head not accepting the material is low.

Normally, no more than a spoonfull is needed. My scar is centered just below the waistline, which made it necessary to wear loose clothes the first couple of weeks. Fortunately, this is also the hospital fashion style ;D

Merry christmas to everyone.

Kenneth

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:31:01 am »
I you have a six pack then they will take it from your bum cheeks?  then you really would be a butthead, The fat also replaces all the lost bone that is cut away during the op, I assumed it will start to go a bit manky after a while but apparently not once sealed in the fat is quite happy there.
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:21:59 am »
Hi Dawn,

It seems every doc has his/her own preference for where and how long the fat graft incision is done.  It will almost always be done on the left side so that it is not mistaken for an appendectomy,  as Lori said.  My scar is about three inches long is is on my bikini lline -- well it would be if I wore a bikini!  Fat chnce of that ever happening.  After four abdominal surgeries besides the fat graft my belly will never again see the light of day outside.  I have to agree with Lori on another point to  --- they don't take nearly enough belly fat! ;D ;D ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 10:24:38 am »
I think the location of the belly incision not only depends on the dr, but also on the patient's supply location.  ;-)  Dr Brackmann told me that the incision would be low, in the bikini line.  Problem was, even having just had a baby, the only fat I had on my belly was right around my belly button.  So my scar is right below my belly button, and about 2 inches long.  I thought it wasn't going to be bad, but now it has started puckering and waving and is nasty looking for the moment (I managed to escape stretch marks in 2 pregnancies and now this...grrr).  It's a little sore still, a month out, but I never had any real pain from it.

One of my old posts has several pics of shaved heads and incisions on it, iif you want to look for it.  It was early/mid november,  in the inquiries section I think.  My head shave wouldn't have been bad, except that they did the BAHA at the same time, so I lost about 1/3 of my hair.  But I can still fix it to where you can't tell I had anything done.

Vonda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 07:26:15 pm »
Fat grafts aren't only for those who have the translab approach.  I had the retrosigmoid approach and I, too, am a fat head.

I only have one incision on my stomach (not two) and it's the same as Lori's - at least that's what I gather from reading her description of her scar, since I've never seen it in person  :D

My docs put my incision on the left side also and told me it was so others (medical personnel) wouldn't be confused in case of an emergency (where I couldn't speak) and think it was an appendix scar.

My belly scar wasn't an issue at all for me; I've given birth to twins and I'm well past the age of wearing a bikini.  The incision didn't bother me at all post op and it healed very fast.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Jan, you'll have to buy me a drink first.  Than maybe I'll show you!   :D   You should probably have a few drinks yourself first.

Vonda, I really wish I had your fat deficit problem.   :-\  If you go to the symposium next year, we'll be sure to fatten you up a bit! 

Lori

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:14:12 am »
I also had retrosigmoid and I'm a fathead.  1" scar 2"s below the belly button.  I never had a bikini on so I don't know if its above or below the bikini line.  I wore loose fitting pants or sweat pants for the first 2 weeks after surgery and didn't have any problems.  I guess I could have bought suspenders and wore my pants like Urkel and wouldn't have had any problems.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:03:44 pm »
Hey Tena-

So, you're going to be a fellow-fat head!  My incision was about 2-3 inches long, about at the bikini line - it it was much more uncomfortable after surgery than the head incision.  I posted a picture a couple of months after surgery, when the scar was pretty fresh - it looks a LOT better now.  I use something called Bio Oil (from the local drugstore, made in Europe, I think) which has worked really well.  For the brave, here's my belly shot - bear in mind that most of my friends haven't seen my belly, so you guys are really my buds!

The scar really will fade very well with time.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com