Author Topic: I have been inked :)  (Read 5760 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
I have been inked :)
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:06:38 pm »
Well, folks, I finally did it.

Today I got up the courage to have a permanent reminder of my AN surgery tattooed on my left shoulder.  Okay, it's actually a second permanent reminder since being SSD is the first one :D  Or maybe it's the third, if you count the titanium fixture in my skull  :D

Anyway, last year about this time I was contemplating getting my surgery date tattooed on my left ankle but I heard that ankles can be painful places to get tattoos, so I chose my left shoulder. 

It was relatively cheap - only $55 - and virtually painless.  I did feel a little out of my element - I don't think it's every day that someone my age from suburbia who doesn't ride a motorcycle walks into a tattoo parlor in a seedy neighborhood in Chicago to get inked, but I got over it.  Don't know what my parents will say  :o  or my children for that matter  :o  but Greg at the Jade Dragon did a great job and didn't make me feel odd at all.

Will post pictures later today  ;D

Jan - feeling very rebellious in Illinois
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: I have been inked :)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:24:34 pm »
OH JAN!!!!!! You Totally RAWWWWWWWWWK!!!!!
That is Major Pirattitude, you wench!!!!!!

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!!!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cmp

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:15 pm »
I don't think it's every day that someone my age from suburbia who doesn't ride a motorcycle walks into a tattoo parlor in a seedy neighborhood in Chicago to get inked

Well, Jan, I think it's high time you got yourself a studded leather jacket and Harley Davidson...  ;)

And Mazel Tov on your commemorative "body art"!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:48:02 pm »
Way to go, Jan - love that idea and spirit! 

Thanks for letting us know you did this - can't wait to see the pics.
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:56:55 pm »
Jan-

Way to go!!  Can't wait to see the pics! 

I got my one and only tatoo (on my right shoulder) for my 40th birthday - and now you've given me a great idea for a second tatto!  Love the idea of commemorating the date.  We can compare "tats" at the symposium next year...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:03:11 pm »
Jan:

You little rebel!  ;) 

I don't have any tattoos but many folks I know, do.  I'm generally ambivalent about tattoos (no strong feelings one way or the other) but I do admire your chutzpah.  You may be a wee bit past college age and a suburbanite that doesn't own a motorcycle but you're certainly not without character, Jan.  :)

I assume the tat is relatively small and unobtrusive so I doubt either your mother or your children will have much to remonstrate about, but it doesn't matter.  The tattoo is yours...a done deal.  Others will just have to cope with it.   I think it's cool and hardly anything to apologize for....to anyone. 

Now, let's have a photo so we can admire your new tat.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
Jan That is hilarious!  Way to go.  Most of my friends and my daughter have tats -- but even with being a wayward type in the 60's, I never got one.  Perhaps I neeed to rethink this -- especially if my acting career is going no where.  Can't wait to see the pix.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:57 pm »
JAN~

OH MY GOODNESS!!!![/size][/size] 
I am just speechless - doesn't happen often...I want pictures...pictures, I say!!  So did you get the date?  Anything else, like a flower around it or anything?  And I am trying to get the "permanent reminders" taken AWAY!!  You will be the talk of the forum!!!!
You go girl!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 03:47:39 pm »
You wild woman!  What's next - a facial piercing to match your head piercing?   ;D

You do realize that this causes you to lose your authority when you tell your kids they can't get one, right?

So, pictures????  Don't keep us hanging....

I think there's a nice biker bar at the shore we can hang out at.  We can park the mini-van around the corner so no one will see it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 04:05:45 pm »
I have always threatened to get something pierced on the right side of my face or tongue since I don't have any feeling!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:03 pm »
Haha!  You rock, Jan!  I like the idea and your fiestyness. you rebel!  ;)  I can't wait to see the pics!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:27:42 pm »
Whoa. 8)
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:32:01 pm »
Thanks all, and great graphics, Capt.  :D

Actually this isn't like me at all.  I'm generally opposed to tattoos - at least for me - but I wanted something special that had some personal significance.

I almost didn't go through with it - drove down the street a long way before I went back and walked into the place LOL

I told my older sister about a year ago that I was going to get a tattoo of my surgery date and she thought it was silly.  She wanted to know why I'd pick my surgery date when there are other significant dates in my life - the birth of my children, the date of my divorce, etc.  It was hard to explain to her why I wanted my surgery date.  I don't think she'll ever really understand.

I only got the date and nothing else - couldn't really think of a picture.  I mean, what would I ask for? a brain  ???  Besides, my doc already told me I have one of those  ;)

I thought about putting my BAHA date also, but couldn't decide between the surgery date and the processor date; plus I thought that 3 dates were just a bit too much.

Lori, my brother in Jersey has a huge Harley - which is kind of out of character for him (guess I'm not the only rebel in the family).  Maybe he'll let us borrow it ;D

Will post pictures later - plan to take them after the kids go to bed.

Oh, and for anyone interested in getting "inked" while attending the symposium, I'll be more than happy to chaperone you to the Jade Dragon.  Maybe they'll give us a group discount  8)

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:32 pm »
Hi Jan!!

You are too much!!  I think only another ANer can really appreciate what you did so I'm not surprised at yoru sister's reaction.  You are definitely braver than me.  Jusst the thought of a tattoo give me goosebumps.  YOu GO GIRL!!!  Can't wait to see the pics.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:57 pm »
Hi, Wendy  :D

I know what you mean about my sister, but I have to say she did have a good point.  My thought is that 5/31/07 (my surgery date) forever changed my life - but like she pointed out, so did the day my children were born and the day I got divorced.  So, why this date?  I'm not really sure.  I just felt a need to "mark" the occasion - no pun intended - and when that feeling didn't completely pass I figured I'd do something about it.

Actually, it was not painful at all - I feared it would be; but it was more like an irritation.   It felt like someone scratching me and because it was small (only five numbers and two hyphens) it only took about 5 minutes.

Here are the pictures:

I got to pick the writing style and in hindsight should have probably asked Greg to make the "tail" of the 7 a little longer to match the 5 and the 3, but it's really no big deal.  My sleeve will cover it most of the time anyway.

Jan