Author Topic: Update on Melissa  (Read 4228 times)

Melissasfriend

Update on Melissa
« on: May 16, 2008, 07:44:43 pm »
Hi I am a friend of Melissa's and she has asked me to keep you guys posted.  She had her surgery yesterday and according to her husband everything went good.  I think it took a little longer then they thought.  They had to leave a little of the tumor attached to one of her facial nerves but I guess they are going to be able to remove that in 3 months.  I don't have all the details yet.  I did speak with her for a few minutes earlier and she is having a problem with dizziness.  I have not heard from her husband so I don't have any additional updates.  I am making the drive up there tomorrow to see her so hopefully I will have some more information for you.

It is great you have each other here on this site.  I will update you tomorrow.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Update on Melissa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »
Jaime -

thanks for updating us on Melissa.  It's good to hear she's going well.

Tell her we are all thinking of her and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »
Thank you, Melissa's friend!!!  I was wondering how she was doing.  I'm so glad it's all over for her.
Tell her I said HI, and I can't wait until she gets better to post again.
You are a very good friend to post for her.  We thank you.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
Thank you for the update on Melissa. It is good to hear that it went well. Leaving a bit on the facial nerve seems to be fairly common these days - and feeling a little dizzy the next day is even more common. Give her our best when you see her.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
Jaime -

forgot to say, until I read Lacey's post, that it's very nice of you to update us on Melissa.  We hate waiting to hear how someone is post op; some of us worry a lot about these things.

A huge thank you for being her scribe.  I'm sure Melissa appreciates it too. :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:06:32 pm »
Thank you so much, Jamie.  We were all thinking about Melissa.  Please give her my/our best.  I'm glad everything worked out  Tell her -- welcome to the postie world.  And the dizziness does go away.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

kimberly

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 06:40:08 am »
Hi Jaimie -

Thank you for the update.  Melissa is in good hands :)  Let her know I said hello and am thinking of her and am looking foward to talking to her when she is home and ready.

Kimberly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:36 am »
Hi, Jaime:

Allow me to add my thanks to you for taking the time to post an update on Melissa for us.  You truly are Melissa's Friend.  :)

AN surgery can be quite long and dizziness immediately post-op is fairly common, so it seems as if Melissa is progressing normally.  Leaving a bit of tumor on the facial nerve to avoid facial paralysis or other complications is pretty much standard with AN surgery these days.  She may have radiation treatment later, as I did, to kill the remaining AN.  It seems to have been successful in my case and is becoming popular with AN neurosurgeons because it avoids facial nerve damage but kills the tumor's DNA, destroying it once and for all. 

Please let Melissa know she is being thought of and prayed for.  We'll welcome your updates and her eventual return.  Thanks, again.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mama R

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 06:48:28 am »
Thank you so much for the update on Daydreamer. I'm sure she is ever so gratefu, as we are. Please let her know thoughts and
prayers are with her.

Looking forward to an update...Thanks Again,  

Becky
aka:Ohio Also
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:13:31 am »
Hi Jaimie-

Thanks so much for the update and please tell Melissa we are all thinking of her.  I am sending lots of special thoughts her way and hoping she has a smooth recovery.  Give her a hug for me, okay?

Debbi - two weeks on the "other side"
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 09:16:00 am »
Hi Jaime,

thank you SO Much for the update! Please tell Melissa that I'm sending the infamous "healing hugglez" and congrats to her for being a "postie" (she'll know). 

Onward and upward to continued wellness for Melissa (and all).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 04:48:48 pm »
Thanks Jaime for the update...I'll be anxiously awaiting your next report after your visit!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Melissasfriend

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 07:27:06 pm »
Hello everyone!  I have to say you are all great people on here and you can tell you truely care for each other  :)  I went to see Mel today and she seemed to be doing good.  She was still a little dizzy but said it was alot better than yesterday.  They did say they will probably go the radiation route in the next 3-6 mos to zap the remaining part on the nerve.  The on call doctor came in while I was there and said she seemed to be doing good.  She was still obviously tired but I think relieved it was over.  The doctor told her she may be able to go home Monday depending on the dizziness.  She said she was hearing alot of poping noise in her ear.  Her husband is taking her kids up tomorrow and I know she is really looking forward to that.  I told her you guys were all asking about her and she wanted to say thanks for all the support.

I will probably talk to her on the phone tomorrow so I will keep you posted.

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 08:14:53 pm »
Hey Jamie

Thank you so much for the updates.  And please tell Melissa -- you're welcome for the thanks -- we've all been there.  The stuff she is going through -- dizziness and strange noises are all par for the course.  I'm glad they were cautious with the facial nerve.  That was a big concern of hers.  I wish there had been a little more caution with mine.  And I am glad she's going to get to see her kids.  I know that will really make her recovery speedy.

My best wishes for her and thank you for your scribery (a new addition to Webster's).  Seriously, thanks, you've been great.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

robynabc

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:29:08 pm »
THank goodness it is over.  We will be thinking of Mellissa.

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.