Author Topic: Driving Tips?  (Read 4915 times)

chocolatetruffle

Re: Driving Tips?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 04:42:07 pm »
the rehab exercises i was given after my surgery also helped me - as these invovled moving your head from side to side.   I actually pushed this up a notch by doing the head exercises while I am walking, not sitting or standing.  I don't have a copy of the exercises, but here is a website which lists similiar vertigo exercise. Hope this helps!

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/balance.htm
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Mama R

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:51:39 pm »
chocolatetruffle - Wow..What awesome excercises..Thank you!
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »
I'm glad chocolatetruffle thought to mention vestibular exercises - for some reason I always forget about them  ::)

Once I decided on surgery my doc had me doing exercises 2x a day both pre and post op.  He said if I started doing them pre op it would be that much easier to do them post op - and he was right. 

The exercises really helped me with my balance and my vision.

I'm somewhat surprised all docs don't recommend them.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mama R

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:55 am »
I am somewhat surprised all Docs don't mention the vestibular exercises, also. Mine did not. I did a lot of footwork prior to my surgery and
found a Team of Docs who have done tons of these surgeries. I think because they have done so many, and it is such
an ordinary surgery for them, they take some of these details for granted (as if we already know them). If I have any complaints about my
Team of Docs (& I highly recommend them) that would bethe only one..BUT I have learned from the past that this behaviour is not uncommon with
good Docs. Plus, it's probably part my fault too as I really didn't & still don't ask them a lot of questions. Questions are just better & easier answered
from the web and this website. What better group to ask then those who have experienced it!!  Thank you All!!!
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 09:47:54 am »
I think someone put a link to vestibular exercises on another post - you can probably find it by searching the forum.  I'm not sure they are the exact ones I was given by my doctor, but I'm sure they are just as good.

I know I still have a copy of the ones my doctor gave me.  If anyone would like, I'd be happy to mail them a copy.  Just PM me with your address.

Thanks,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 09:53:14 am »
Hey Jan,

In follow up to your post, much noted in the "Balance" forum (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=12.0) as I saw threads/posts there for "Vestibular Exercises"... I follow it as well for my own personal benefit.

Thanks for giving such terrific support!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Melissa778

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 06:09:40 am »
I started the vestibular exercises about 2 weeks ago, my surgery is on abotu 9 days.....I'm so glad I started early on.  They have really helped and the more you do them, the better things seem to get.  At first though they were a bit rough for me, I fell over a few times.  Balance and dizziness are big issues for me right now.  I highly recommend these exercies for all, esp. those with blanace issues prior to surgery.

Melissa....9 days, excuse me while I look for the nearest bed to hide under!
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 09:55:50 am »
Melissa -

keep in mind that the exercises will most likely be very difficult post op - they were for me.  But if you keep doing them you will see improvement over time. 

Oh, and get out of from under the bed - you'll be fine  :)

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:36 am »
Hey!  We are always missing a shoe...Melissa, do you any strays under the bed??   :D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Melissa778

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 12:20:39 pm »
No shoes, some loose toys from the kids and dog....a few dust bunnies......boy do I need to clean!!

Melissa....scurrying to get the broom, whoa....slow down....I'm a bit dizzy today.... :)
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 01:16:21 pm »
Melissa~
I should be doing LOTS of cleaning right now but am sitting here instead!!  My MIL is coming Saturday -- all my friend's say I "Wanda Clean" instead of "Spring Clean" (& I do!!)!!!   LOL!!!   :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 06:28:34 pm »
it took me about 5 weeks b4 i coould drive. my only problem seems to be when im tired at nite. i find myself leaning to the left in the car just like i do when i walk at nite.

my surgery was on rt side. Dr. says its like only having one gyro scope now causes me to lean to left more.

and its worse when im tired and at nite cause my eyes cant correct enough for me.

but it hasnt "stopped" me from driving i just have to be more careful. my surgery was 12 /08 so im still new at this

Steve W. Seabrook Tx
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here