Author Topic: Driving Tips?  (Read 4916 times)

Mama R

Driving Tips?
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:57:19 am »
I recently started driving after AN surgery and am doing pretty good...EXCEPT... when having to look back and forth
to pull out into oncoming traffic. I get that disoriented imbalance feeling. Any suggestions (other than the obvious..being cautious)
OR is this just one of those 'Going to Take Time' issues.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Boppie

Re: Driving Tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:38:16 am »
Take caution.  This will settle down with time.  Freeway on-ramps were the hardest for me.

oHIo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:15 am »
Ohio Also..I'm jealous that you are driving already. ;)  Good to hear you are driving.  That is the one thing I miss most.  I do not believe, even if I could see out of both eyes, that I could drive due to the very issues you mentioned.  Are you doing any vestibular rehab exercises? 

Glad to hear you are doing so well.  I believe it will take time.  Hang in there.

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:32:04 am »
I'm one year post AN surgery and I still have the looking back and forth problem.  It is better than it was though.  I try to avoid situations where I have to look back and forth if at all possible.  I try to use intersections with stop lights instead of stop signs if I can and when shopping I try to park where I can pull out instead of backing out.  Sometimes this means walking quite a distance, but that's good for the balance as well.

Linda in WV

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:56:18 am »
In my experience, this is a "going to take time" issue.  You've probably heard this a million times, but have patience  :)

I had similar problems, plus I had difficulties parking between the lines in parking lots.  I'd think I was directly in the middle of a spot, but upon exiting my car would find that I was parked on an angle instead of straight.  I started paying more attention to this and got into the habit of backing up and pulling into a spot numerous times before I exited my car.  However, I'd still find myself parked on an angle.  My kids thought this was hilarious; I found it very frustrating.  Thankfully with time, it did get better.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:02:04 pm »
Ohio Also:

As has likely become obvious by now, this particular issue will simply take some time to abate....but it will.

I started driving again two weeks post-surgery (with my neurosurgeon's approval) and had the same problem: a slight disorientation/dizziness when swiveling my head back and forth to check traffic when pulling out or, sometimes, changing lanes on the interstate.  I compensated by moving my head more slowly and determinedly ignored the momentary sensation of disorientation.   It probably took at least six months but eventually, this passed and is longer a problem.  I trust it won't be one for you for much longer, but in the meantime, try moving your head slowly and try to resist the sensation of disorientation as much as possible. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mama R

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:50:02 pm »
Thanks All...at least I'm not alone  ;) Freeway I guess will come in a bit.

Leapytwins - Funny you would say that about the angled parking as I did that exact thing yesterday and never even
associated it..... Come to think of it I made two attempts at un angled parking on Friday too!!

Debbi - You are sooooo in my thoughts and prayers.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:21:44 pm »
Leapytwins - Funny you would say that about the angled parking as I did that exact thing yesterday and never even
associated it..... Come to think of it I made two attempts at un angled parking on Friday too!!

At the time this was happening I remember starting a topic about it and I found it was happening to others postop too.  So you and I are not alone  :)  I think the topic was titled something like "Parking between the lines".  Very original title, I must say LOL

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 03:30:18 pm »
My tip:  Don't even try parallel parking for a meter.  Most regular folks can't do this anyway. ;D

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:32:27 pm »
Oh, one more thing to plan for!  I am ecstatic that in a week, I should be home from the hospital!!!

Debbi - Boogerectomy minus barely 1.5...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
Ohio Also~
When I was learning to drive, my daddy really stressed using my mirrors (which I did) but now I use them ALL THE TIME!  I still turn around & look, but I think that I am even more aware of every car around me b/c I use my mirrors  so much -- I'd be LOST w/o them!!
Just like everyone said...give it time!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

satman

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:11:39 am »
I agree,time will solve the issues you speak of,it took me 7 months before I could drive.
Vestibular therapy solved a lot of problems for me,The good thing is your driving,thats awesome,hang in there it will get better.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

marymomof3

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 09:07:45 pm »
Hi.  I just started driving the other day also.  Almost 6 weeks post op.  I sonetimes feel disoriented also, but my Dr tells me that will pass with time and I need to remain patient.
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:45:46 pm »
Hi.  I just started driving the other day also.  Almost 6 weeks post op.  I sonetimes feel disoriented also, but my Dr tells me that will pass with time and I need to remain patient.
Mary

Mary -

in my experience, your doctor is absolutely correct.  You will see improvements in time.

Congratulations on reaching the "being able to drive again" milestone  :)

Jan

cmp

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 03:36:05 pm »
I agree with Kaybo, those side view mirrors are lifesavers (literally!)

Because the tarrsorraphy on my right eyelids reduces my field of vision on that side somewhat, an issue for me has always been my super-sized "blind spot" on the right when I drive--because I can't turn my head as far over my shoulder to see all the way back as I'd need to (I would still risk a feeling of almost-vertigo, 20 years after surgery!), I do a combination of glance back and glance in my mirror. And the only accident I've been in in my life was well BEFORE the surgery!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!