Author Topic: Can the AN affect the bowel?  (Read 8418 times)

tatianne

Re: Can the AN affect the bowel?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 08:20:17 am »
Im also having problems with my stomach/bowel areas.
I was constipated for a few weeks, then this past week i had what seemed to be a stomach virus...
I feel like my stomach reacts very easily now and my bowel movement change consistency frequently. I get nausea and very gasy quite often. I never had any of these problems before the AN.... ??
I too question if there is a connection, right now I just dont feel like going back to the doctor...Please let us know Derek, Im really interested.
(Sorry for being so descriptive but I just want to be clear so we can get to the bottom of this))
Tks
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 08:27:38 am »
T-anne........

"Bottom of this?"  (your quote)  I'm sorry but, (butt) that is funny.  My sense of humor is returning and I got rest last night.  Do you think my former post would be of help to you in this discussion.  (on a more serious note)

Pal
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

tatianne

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 08:33:25 am »
i didnt plan that but it is funny ??? :D :D

Yes, it did help, thks.  Im trying not to freak out about these tummy things...im so sensitive about my body these days.I feel like a lunatic(sp?) !!!

U are holding up well ??

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Derek

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
Thanks for that most useful input Jim. The colorectal surgeon treating me for the bowel problem has virtually dismssed my 'lay' theory relevant to the AN being a possible causation but I am not 100% satisfied with his somewhat simplistic dismissal of a connection hence my decision to request the definitive info from the neurosurgeon. Watch this space!

Regards

Derek

Well after a prolonged hassle my neurosurgeon finally responded to my query and has indicated that in his experience (which is vast) he has never come across a case whereby the presence of an acoustic neuroma has been linked to a bowel problem of any description.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary I have to concur with his professional advice which is also in agreement with the colorectal surgeon.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Pembo

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 08:28:36 am »
Derek you're neuro may have never seen it but I can attest to the fact that my AN was pressing on my vagus nerve, which is the nerve that controls the GI tract, and therefore my AN was the only CAUSE of my gi troubles. For at least 2 years prior to surgery I had lots of GI problems, especially in the year before surgery and diagnosis. By the time I had surgery I had GI problems almost every single day. After surgery I have not had ANY problems, NONE. So I disagree completely with your neurosurgeon.

Just because he personally hasn't had experience wtih it doesn't mean it can't happen. My tumor was pressing on 5 major cranial nerves and my surgeon said that isn't very common. But it happened. Derek I'd be happy to provide my surgeon's name to your surgeon so he can learn that he doesn't know it all.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Derek

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 10:21:18 am »
Hi there 'Pembo'...

Many thanks for your response and I do believe that you and your neuro are absolutely correct in your assessment of your particular bowel problem.

My neuro is not the one that will ultimately be doing my treatment re (as mentioned in another thread) I do not have the essential level of confidence in him nor his ENT/otolaryngologist to progress my treatment via the microsurgical route.

I have an appointment in April with a neuro who will ultimately carry out my chosen GK treatment and I intend to discuss the bowel aspect with him. I will update this thread when I get his response.

In the interim I am having further bowel tests at the end of this month and should the colorectal consultant discover the causation I will also post a relevant update.

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Pembo

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 03:44:36 pm »
Hey Derek. I hope I didn't come off as too witchy in my post but arrogant surgeons who deny "they" have never seen whatever just really piss me off. They don't know it all and I wish all the AN docs would get together and talk about all their patients. Thank goodness for the internet so we know we aren't alone in our "symptoms that the doc has never seen before."

A side note-I questioned my surgeon as to why I get low grade sinus headaches only on the an side when the weather changes and he tried to tell me it wasn't surgery related. I then told him that others on this site have the same problem and he still didn't believe it was related. I didn't get these headaches before surgery! Grrr..

Have a great day and I hope you bowel problems are an related so that when your an is gone, so are they! :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Derek

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 05:01:51 pm »
Hi again 'Pembo'...

'Witchy'?...not at all...I totally agree with your analogy re the arrogant attitude of some medical 'professionals' towards their patients particularly the total lack of compassion and empathy that this minority sadly frequently display re often failing to acknowledge the basic fear and apprehension of the unknown experienced by patients following diagnosis of a major health issue. That faction certainly do not like being challenged or questioned about their theories and it feels like you have struck gold when you eventually find a good one!

Regards

Derek

Derek

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:08 am »
Hi all...

I received a letter today from the same neurosurgeon who had advised me that in his experience there was no correlation between an acoustic neuroma and a problem affecting the bowel.

The correspondence clarifies the previous advice in that a bowel problem can affect a patient who has been diagnosed with neorofibromatosis - Type NF-1 which is an autosomal dominant gene disorder that can cause tumours to grow in the covering / sheath of the nerves anywhere in the body at any time. I fortunately do not have that condition which apparently affects 1 in every 3000 of the population of both sexes and all races / ethnic groups. The NF-1 gene is located on chromosome 17 and can affect the digestive tract causing vomiting and chronic constiptation / diarrhea.

Regards

Derek

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 11:00:31 am »
I get bad head pain and lightheadedness when I strain. It must be the tumor and the cyst now growing around it, right?

I would get bad head pain when I strained.  This was before I knew I had the tumor.  I do not get it anymore.
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

Derek

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 12:53:40 pm »
Hi all...

I originated this topic over 2 years ago in October 2006 which generated interest and I thought that I should finalise with an apparent positive conclusion in that relevant to myself, the presence of the AN in my opinion did NOT have any correlation to the then existing bowel problem which no longer exists. You will recall from my previous inputs that I had extensive medical tests which concluded that there was no apparent medical reason for my condition. I have recently ascertained via my own ongoing personal assessments that the culprit was in fact my daily liberal intake of a high bran content breakfast cereal. Within days of completely cutting out the relevant cereal my hitherto loose bowel condition was no more. I'm a porridge man now and.....no probs!

Regards

Derek

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:33 pm »
For whatever it's worth:

In the 6 months prior to the discovery of my AN, my appetite was 'off' and I 'filled up' easily, eating about a third of what I would have normally eaten at any one meal...even desserts.  I dropped over 30 pounds within six months.  My digestion remained fairly normal.  Just fewer BM's due to eating much less.  I had a typical middle-aged male 'gut' and most of the lost weight came from there, so I didn't really care much - I lost almost 2" off my waistline - but I was getting noticably thinner (and lighter) so my wife became concerned and scheduled a doctor visit on my behalf.  With my increasing lethargy and equally noticable loss of equilibrium, I think she feared the worst (cancer[/color]).

After ruling out a thyroid problem (with a blood test) my PCP ordered an MRI scan (with contrast) and thus, my 4.5 cm AN tumor was discovered.

I too asked my GP to do a thyroid blood test... (He set me for a MRI too ... and we know the end of that story :) ) anyway... I had the problem the other way around... I was eating  more than I used too !! I did not gain a lot of weight (ok maybe a little) .. but I was actually shocking people on my eating habits....(we went to a buffet once... I had 6 full plates of food)   I would eat another meal an hour after dinner... 2 lunches... etc .. I was just never would stay full long ...  My theory was I was fighing the lost of balance .. I would not let it slow me down .. and I needed the extra "fuel" ...  today, I am back to "normal"...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital