Author Topic: rate of AN growth following de-bulking microsurgery  (Read 6056 times)

morena_azra

rate of AN growth following de-bulking microsurgery
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:23 am »
Hi guys

Has anybody had any experience with a rapid growth of what is left of the AN after a de-bulking microsurgery?
My brother had a microsurgery on his 3.9cm (longest side) AN 2 months ago and the neurosurgeon told us that they'd taken out most of it and only left a tiny bit to preserve the facial nerve. My brother's MRI done 10 days ago shows the AN to be at 3.5cm (longest side). So, either the residual AN grew rapidly within a few weeks, or the Dr did not tell us the truth initially (still haven't seen him to discuss this as he is on holiday).
Also, could it be possible that there is a swelling around the residual tumor that shows on MRI as "residual tumor"?

Confused.

Any info much appreciated
My brother'a AN was 3.9cm at diagnosis Sept 09; 3.5cm after a suboccipital retrosigmond, done in Tuzla, Bosnia in Oct 09; second surgery performed at INI Hannover Feb 2010, tumor classed as T4b (the largest: 5cm plus). All tumor was taken out by Dr Samii Sr, facial nerve preserved (mild paresis),SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: rate of AN growth following de-bulking microsurgery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
morena_azra ~

No wonder you're confused!  I'm not a doctor but I find it very hard to believe that an acoustic neuroma could grow that fast in 60 days.  Something is amiss. 

I underwent debulking surgery and had a 4.5 cm AN reduced to about 2.5 cm, then radiated.  It is has not grown and I doubt it will. 

Swelling could be the culprit - or the doctor somehow misinformed you.  I prefer to believe the latter.  It could simply be a misunderstanding.  However, this is a question only your brother's physician can credibly answer.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:50:19 pm »
Azra - I agree with Jim...

I did not have my first MRI until 3 months post op specifically to wait for swelling to go down.  I also had some tumor left behind to save my facial nerve.  The 3 month MRI serves as a baseline...I will have another one this spring around my year point to compare.  I do not believe the tumor grows rapidly...if there is 3.5 cm in there, then they were not able to remove much...which is contrary to the doctor's statements.  I do not believe a doctor would lie that much...At least I hope not.  If the doctor knows there is that much still in there, I would think he would be recommending more treatment.

Try to relax and see what the next MRI has to show.  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »
Hi
I hate to be the party pooper here, but my tumor was 1.4cms going into surgery...the doc said he left two small stands on facial nerve to save it...then at my 1st MRI followup, (6 months post op), it now comes in at 1.6cm....
When I ask the doc about the difference in size, he told me that what was he left behind....the surgical transcript states the tumor as 1.8-2.0 cms....it was and still baffeling...so now i'm looking at radiation...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »
What ???

That is a pooper, Jo!  I will find your other posts and followup with you!

Let's hope it's swelling for now Azra.  Take each piece of information gradually and hope for the best!
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »
Azra -

I'm with Jim and Alicia.  Although I'm not a doctor, this makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Your brother should definitely ask the doctor for clarification.  He may also want to get a 2nd opinion if he isn't satisfied with his doctor's explanation.

Please keep us updated on this; I'm curious to hear the rest of the story.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

morena_azra

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:55:13 am »
Thanks everyone for takaing the time to reply.

We have to wait for Dr to come back from his skiing holiday next Wednesday (all right for some, eh? :-) and see what he says.

If I understood them correctly, they took out a big chunk from the centre of the tumor (only leaving a tiny bit to preserve the facial nerve) and it was supposed to shrink to a much smaller size. As it is pretty calcified (has been growing for over 20 years probably), maybe it takes more time for it to shrink properly? Why  schedule the post-op MRI to 4 weeks after surgery?

Although, to be honest, the MRI image shows quite a homogenous mass with no holes inside. arghhhh!

Very worried and very confused. I am sending my brother's MRIs and his medical reports all over the world to try and make some sense of it.

Will keep you updated, cheers everyone

Azra
My brother'a AN was 3.9cm at diagnosis Sept 09; 3.5cm after a suboccipital retrosigmond, done in Tuzla, Bosnia in Oct 09; second surgery performed at INI Hannover Feb 2010, tumor classed as T4b (the largest: 5cm plus). All tumor was taken out by Dr Samii Sr, facial nerve preserved (mild paresis),SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:59:52 am »
Azra -

your worry and your concern are both totally understandable.

I hope you get the answers you seek.

Did you send your brother's MRI to House Ear Institute in Los Angeles?  From what others on the Forum tell me, they will give you a medical opinion free of charge.

I didn't go to House, but many others did.  I'm sure someone here can tell you where to send the MRI.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

morena_azra

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:25 am »
Jan

Will do so right away. Thanks for the info!!! :-)))

Azra

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:49:36 am »
Just something else to think about...if your brother has an abdominal incision, he had fat removed from there and placed in the tumor area.

The follow-up MRI must suppress the fat graft or it will show up as a large mass.  The suppression makes the fat translucent in order to view the tumor area.

Many people have not heard of this because they return to their original doctor for the MRI and it is never discussed.  I did not see the same doctor, and the local hospital gave me the wrong MRI.  I had to have a second MRI with fat suppression.

Here's to many more options   ;)  Don't worry until you are given reason.

If you are still in limbo after the doctor's discussion, I agree with Jan, send the original and follow-up MRI to the House Ear Institute for a free evaluation.  The address is on their website.

12/13/17 Gamma Knife

morena_azra

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:28 pm »
Thanks Alicia, I already did (today, I contacted many people all over the world with my brother's medical history and MRI scan links - MRI image files can't be zipped but you can upload images to yousendit.com and email them, rather than post them), now I am waiting for the replies.

I wish that what you said was applicable to my brother but the only abdominal incision he has is from the shunt he had to have implanted as he'd developed a hydrocephalus following the surgery so now, not only is the tumor more or less the same size as pre op, he also has a shunt to live with for the rest of his life.

Let's hope his further treatment gets better, he's been through a lot already, like many of you.

Thanks again

Azra

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 05:04:14 pm »
 ??? ??? UGGHH!

My heart goes out to you both.  I am glad he has you doing all the footwork.  I remember how overwhelming the looming thoughts can be.  Thank goodness for helpful siblings.  I hope an acceptable solution is in front of him!  Make sure you take a break when you get a second.  Hugs, Alicia
12/13/17 Gamma Knife

morena_azra

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »
Guys

Through a recommendation from a forumite from another AN support group site, I came across this Dr in London, Royal Marsden Hospital called Michael Brada who specializes in Fractionated Stereotactic Radiation and who said that the fact my brothers tumor is 3.5cm (longest side) is absolutely no obstruction to have FSR successfully applied as it treats  the large size tumors well. I know one of the moderators (Jim?) here had this procedure done following a debulking microsurgery but his tumor was decreased to 2.5cm (smaller than my brother's is now) and he seems very happy with his results.
Has any of you had it done on a large tumor with good results?
I am now not so much concerned about my brother's tumor's size but its location, as I know it is compressing the brainstem quite badly and also the nerves 7th through 12th, not sure whether that'd be an issue.

I am posting my brother's MRI scans to him to London this weekend (as well as to Dr Schwartz who is, of course, pro another craniotomy) as he could not open it on the site I uploaded them to.

how come FSR does not have more press (or at least as much as GK and CK) if it is so successful? food for thought

Rgds

Azra

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 03:36:19 pm »
Azra,

As I understand it (and I'm not doctor, so I could be wrong) but part of the indicators of using radiation for treatment is size (typically 2cm and smaller).  I've HEARD of them using it on larger ones, but quite honestly don't know that much about it.  But, the other indicator is location...  Especially given that the tumor is already putting pressure on the brainstem pretty badly, that would seem to me to contraindicate radiation (that is to say that it wouldn't be considered).

I say that because with radiation, there is an expectation that the tumor may, in fact, swell larger before it potentially shrinks and dies.  Given that it's already putting pressure on the brainstem, I would expect with known swelling as a very real posibility, radiation would not be used as a treatment course.

Something to discuss with the radiation doctor, anyhow..

Good luck!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mk

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »
Hi Azra,

the situation you describe reminded me a lot that of a forumite from Bulgaria, Hrissy. She had a very large AN at a very young age and underwent two debulking surgeries in her country. As you are finding out, she also concluded that small Balkan countries do not have sufficient resources or expertise for these kinds of complicated situations. Wanting to get rid of her AN once and for all she did a lot of searching around to find a competent team and finally had her third surgery in Germany, which ended up successfully removing her tumor. I would encourage you to seek her story, I am sure she would respond to a PM.

All the best,
Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.